Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bleeding Brakes help please LOL

Changed my pads and ROTORS. Bled the system twice but for some reason the pedal is still mushy...

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
How mushy? New pads mushy? They take a bit to settle in and get some bite.

You've possibly still got air in the lines somewhere. Does the pedal come back up normally?

Also, Youtube. [grinking]

OP
subzerospeed
Thread Starter #4
How mushy? New pads mushy? They take a bit to settle in and get some bite.

You've possibly still got air in the lines somewhere. Does the pedal come back up normally?

Also, Youtube. [grinking]

On a scale of 1-10 its a 2 of mushy. Its not very difficult to depress it to the floor fully while trying to brake in motion. The pedal comes back normally...i used a c clamp to compress the pistons and also had the bleeder valves cracked to let the pistons flow back

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
On a scale of 1-10 its a 2 of mushy. Its not very difficult to depress it to the floor fully while trying to brake in motion. The pedal comes back normally...i used a c clamp to compress the pistons and also had the bleeder valves cracked to let the pistons flow back
Really sounds like you still have some air in there, in my unprofessional, internet forum opinion.

I did the pads and a brake line change on my motorcycle last year, and I had to buy one of those pump bleeder things to get it right.

Costs a lot, but still cheaper than what the motorcycle shop would have charged. They're fucking thieves.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
This is my method that I have posted many times.
Other suggestion (above) include YouTube is also very good as there are many videos on this.

One step that is listed below but forgotton by many is to cycle the Parking Brake if the rear pads were replaced.

I would suggest that a gravity bleed the system is done first.
This does get most of the air out.
One wheel at a time in this order, RR, LR, RF, LF.
Be sure to remove the cap from the Master Cylinder, this allows the fluid to flow.

If the rear brakes were serviced, cycling the E-Brake handle a few times should be done.
This is to re-set the rear pistons to a proper location.

After that, bleed as normal with one person on the pedal and one at the wheel.
It is best to use a clear plastic tube on the bleed valve nipple so you can see the fluid.
Do NOT pump the brake pedal, this only puts air back into the system, if multiple pumps are required, do it slowly.
Remember that the gravity bleed got most of the air out anyway.
Just one press on the pedal then bleed and repeat on all wheels until there is no air.
Always do RR, LR, RF, then LF.

You do not need to do the gravity bleed again.
However, you should then do the same procedure again with the engine running.
This allows all of the valves within the ABS control to be set to the proper positions.

This method has worked for me every time without fail.
Only one most important thing is to NRVER allow the master to run out of fluid.

Dave

koozy

3000 Post Club
If you used c clamps on the rear calipers, that may have contributed. My YouTube reply was in jest because very little details were given on what and how exactly the bleeding was done. Give a short summary, get a shorter comment, lol.

OP
subzerospeed
Thread Starter #9
Calipers were not changed out. Alright thanks for the replies ive sorted it out now, followed that order. I used c clamps but the bleeder valves for each caliper.

uhh, if you didn't change the calipers you had no reason to mess with the brake fluid at all. you shouldn't have touch the bleeder valves period. Honestly, if you aren't sure what you are doing, just stop and take it to a shop. You shouldn't be guessing with brakes.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Very first line in the OG post stated calipers were changed. This thread is Lost in translation lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
uhh, if you didn't change the calipers you had no reason to mess with the brake fluid at all. you shouldn't have touch the bleeder valves period. Honestly, if you aren't sure what you are doing, just stop and take it to a shop. You shouldn't be guessing with brakes.
It's a good idea to push the old brake fluid out of the calipers when you change the pads. Open the bleeder valve and push the piston back.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
then he said he didn't, which I'm not sure why you'd change calipers unless one was broke or you were upgrading
As much as I would like to help people I don’t waste my time spewing acquired knowledge more than the quality of the one inquiring.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As much as I would like to help people I don’t waste my time spewing acquired knowledge more than the quality of the one inquiring.

I lol'd

Great response.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Why did you bleed the system when you just changed the pads and rotors? Thats not necessary

Last edited:
Just an idea. The BF supply in master is such an iddibidy thing it wouldn’t take anything to drain it. Then big problems. Can you mix dot 4 with dot 5 when you naturally add rather than drain the lines?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No as far as I know you usually you can't go back in numbers....but you can go forward. Our cars are DOT4 vehicles. Just read the bottle....if they say you can on the new Bottle sure...go for it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk