Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1st to 2nd gear shuddering?

Hey Forums,

I have been noticing when shifting from first gear into second gear I have to let the clutch out a lot more smoothly than when shifting into other higher gears.

If I dont let the clutch out as smoothly as the other gears I get a shuddering.

Im thinking this is the because of the stock motor mount?

Does anyone else get this?

The only time Ive seen any manual car shudder between gears is when I am going too slow for the gear and its about to stall

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Yeah I know that, but the strange thing is that it does it when im upshifting. And I have to be smooth with the clutch or its noticeably jumpy.

Yeah I know that, but the strange thing is that it does it when im upshifting. And I have to be smooth with the clutch or its noticeably jumpy.
Why would you not be smooth on the clutch? You could be shifting too early or you could be putting it in 4th. How experianced are you on a manual transmission.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
Its not that im not smooth on the clutch, its just that i notice that i need to let out the clutch extra smooth when shifting into second than other gears.

Maybe im short shifting a little bit?

This is my first manual car but I know For sure im not shifting into 4th.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Its not that im not smooth on the clutch, its just that i notice that i need to let out the clutch extra smooth when shifting into second than other gears.

Maybe im short shifting a little bit?

This is my first manual car but I know For sure im not shifting into 4th.
First manual, so you learned how to drive manual with this car? Its very possible in light of this that you might have cooked your clutch a bit causing judder which you could consider a shudder. This happens when a flywheel gets heat checked. Quite often people new to manuals destroy the clutch learning how to drive it. This comes from riding( resting foot on pedal, letting it out too slowly going into gear while gassing it,not removing your foot from the clutch pedal, which done repeatedly cause slippage) it in the learning process. One of the early things I was taught when first learn8ng manuals was always remove your foot from the clutch pedal. Thats why they usually have dead pedals in manual cars. Its a place to put your foot so your not resting it on the clutch.

If this is whats happening take it as alearning experience and be prepared to get a clutch job in the near future.
You are not alone a lot of us fried our first clutches learning how to drive them. My first experience was a trial by fire. I went out and bought a Datsun 510 i high school with a manual after learning to drive ( or what I thought was learning to drive ) with automatics.

Good luck and remember if its new you have a warranty and might be able to get them to fix it for free. Lol

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
Well for starters im definitely not resting my foot on the clutch. I may be letting the clutch out a little slow but only in second gear. Every other gear is fine. Could it be a syncro issue with second gear?

Hard to be sure based on your description of "shuddering". But the thing that caught my ears was that it is only 1st to 2nd, and that you mention having to be very careful on the clutch to avoid the issue. It isn't easy to search for, but you are not the first. Here is a thread:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/9934-1-2-shift-almost-always-clunky/page2

The 1-2 shift is just clunky on this car because of the gap in ratio and heavy dual mass flywheel
But yeah, rev hang and heavy flywheel makes it a little more difficult to just bang into 2nd and pop the clutch. I've been driving manuals my entire life and I'm still amazed at how much effort it takes for me to smoothly shift from 1st to 2nd. Really, you just have to take your time and let the revs drop. Or, if your car has some mileage on it, a transmission fluid change could help.

I think I know what the OP means...correct me if I don't understand.

You can smoothly shift from first to second, or quickly shift from first to second, but not really both. The issue is that the RPM difference from 1st to 2nd is something like 1500+ RPMs, and it takes well over a second (it seems to me, remembering) for the RPMs to fall from, say, 3.5k to 2k. Your choice is to wait (probably not often done), ease the clutch out when shifting from 1st to 2nd, or accept a somewhat harsh shift. When it's just me in the car, it's usually the latter. When my wife's in the car, it's usually the second.

This is not as big an issue when shifting between the higher gears because the RPM difference is less.

Mikey456

I agree that shifting technique is important. But for me adding the stiffer motor mount really improved my shifting experience

I think I know what the OP means...correct me if I don't understand.

You can smoothly shift from first to second, or quickly shift from first to second, but not really both. The issue is that the RPM difference from 1st to 2nd is something like 1500+ RPMs, and it takes well over a second (it seems to me, remembering) for the RPMs to fall from, say, 3.5k to 2k. Your choice is to wait (probably not often done), ease the clutch out when shifting from 1st to 2nd, or accept a somewhat harsh shift. When it's just me in the car, it's usually the latter. When my wife's in the car, it's usually the second.

This is not as big an issue when shifting between the higher gears because the RPM difference is less.
In over 20 years of driving manual the i,ve never had to wait longer than the time it takes to normally shift for the gear to go smoothly into the next. Only time I've had to Match revs was when double clutching a semi truck. The OP said this car is his first manual and from his post it looks like hes only had it a week. I'd be more inclined to say its a product of learning. Without being in the car I cant define his definition of smooth. When I learned manual by buying an old F150 everything seemed fast. A slight roll backwards felt like so much. So his perception could be smooth and slow when he is really close to popping the clutch

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
This exactly, I essentially have to let the revs fall low before I can let the clutch out down to about 1700, and then there is not shuddering.

I was experimenting today and essentially gear 1 and 2 are crawling gears not meant for fast travel.

Thanks for the tip though!

This exactly, I essentially have to let the revs fall low before I can let the clutch out down to about 1700, and then there is not shuddering.

I was experimenting today and essentially gear 1 and 2 are crawling gears not meant for fast travel.

Thanks for the tip though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVJnNPbjjjs . Take a look at this video I stumbled accross. It talks about a shuddering issues caused by the clutch getting covered in fluid

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
Yeah this is the dps6 transmission for the automatic cars.

Im actually noticing that ive been shifting the car too late for first and second. It likes to be short shifted in first and second and i don't haves any shudder now.

You realize that's the powershift dual-clutch transmission right?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I eventually did. Dont really expect to find automatic clutch replacement videos when searching for Fiesta ST clutch replacement.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
"Shuddering" is typically used when the engine/trans + vehicle vibrates while slipping the clutch.

You only slip when from a standstill, are starting to move in first gear. After that, you're not slipping the clutch anymore. You're not slipping when you push in the pedal, or release the pedal after having shifted to second.

If you're getting some strong vibrations that are synonymous with engine RPM while slipping, then you're likely talking about some other type of vibrations.