Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2.5 cold side pipe. Maybe instead we should try 2.25

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Someone had asked ( i think it was deiselmech?) About the points of contact the 2.5 inch charg pipes have with the engine/transmission.

Now i have re aligned and re positioned this pipe several times. And its been on the car for 60k. I have not touched it other than to take these pics today. The black foam pads are door edge seal stuff i stuck on to hopefully keep the bellhousing from wearing a hole in the tube. ( did that around start of summer, it has since worn through the foam. I do have upgraded motor mounts, but that doesnt mean the engine doesnt move. And if you look real close at the flange for mounting the BOV its got a couple of deep wear marks from hitting the trans. I cant clock it farther out because it hits the fan shroud and the electrical pack that right there for the fans. 20190908_111541_HDR.jpg 20190908_111530_HDR.jpg 20190908_111628_HDR.jpg 20190908_111548.jpg The dent came from my charge pipe blowing loose and smacking the oil filter. Thats not a big deal as it give me a little more clearance for filter wrenches and such.

I know its greatly contested. But i feel like a 2.25 inch cold side with a bov mount located farther up ( like maybe the old symposer location?) Would help. Along with clocking the boost sensor to the top side of that pipe to keep it out of spraying water/snow/salty mush.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Is there a reason you use the external BOV instead of one of the Turbosmart EM ones that mount in the stock DV location? Would switching free up room to make your fitment easier? Not second guessing your install, just curious.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Im a child of the 80's and raised in the 90's. Every tuned turbo car had an hks ssqv. I picked it for the sound. CPE was the only piping setup with an hks bov. Also its 100%mechanical, and some folks habe had issues with the electronic ones. ( btw it is extremely loud!) It might be more beneficial if it were located on the hot side pipe tucked up close to the radiator if i were designing a kit.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
The pipe would still be a super tight squeeze and rubbing on the trans ( the worst spot is right by the meth injection port ( the rusty bolt in the piping serves as a block off as im not using meth injection yet. I feel its the same on all the 2.5" kits regardless of bov mount or not. Theres only 1/4 inch between the pipe and bellhousing and it doesnt take much movement for that to disappear.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think you are right short of having a pipe designed in conjunction with the radiator either aftermarket or factory it looks like the 2.5 inch pipes do not fit ideally.

I have since changed my mind about putting a 2.5 inch cold side pipe in my car as I have a Mountune rad and no pipe that is 2.5 inch was designed to work with it. I have come figure out based on my own research that a 2.5 cold side charge pipe will not fit with the Mountune radiator installed.

Its also interesting to realize that all the BT turbo upgrade kits currently on the market do not have a upgraded cold side pipe only the hot side.
I do not think there is any any power to be gained by increasing cold side pipe diameter. It’s purely an esthetic deal and possibly a slight charge cooling temp drop of a degree or so.
All in all not worth the trouble in my book.
Now if someone makes a pipe that actually fits and clears everything decently for not to much money and tests it to make sure it fits? My mind could be changed for the sake of cleaning up stuff on that side.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I think you are 100% right. All you get with the bigger pipe cold side is more pressure drop and added lag. I think the stock pipe is 2" i think a nice mount bracket on a 2.25" pipe and using a decent length coupler to the ic to allow for flex and vibration. Including things like a meth injection port are a must.