Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2 final drive ratios- why didn’t the fist use this?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It really does leave a lot off at the higher RPMs but when I think about it, that's not unlike a lot of stock n/a vehicles. My prior car it was really kind of pointless to go above 4500 RPM so didn't bother.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #22
Yea, I have found companies either like to target low end torque and sacrifice horsepower. Or do the exact opposite. Which is my main issue with hondas. They have no torque, which is why everyone is doing the k24 swap using a 2.4 block with a 2.0 head for the best of both worlds. Helps give them some more low end. but if you’re car needs to be revved to 8,000 rpm to get any power it’s pretty useless in everyday driving. You can’t realistically drive around everywhere at the top of the rev range.

So that’s why I just want a little more top end without losing that low end torque. Which is why I feel a whoosh hybrid would be perfect for me

Fusion Works

You can't use a bunch of low end without blowing off the tires. The OE turbo is too small for a good all around car. The S280 is a solid performer. It has more head room than a Hybrid.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #24
Honestly I’ve never minded the ability to do a rolling burnout. It can be a lot of fun and can really impress some people/girls if they don’t know a lot about cars. Just being able to say, yea my car can do a rolling burnout at 40 mph. It sounds super impressive to the normal person. Even tho it’s really nothing special.

If I really need to go fast I can modulate the throttle on my own. And if I want to have a little fun and do a rolling burn out in 2nd I have the ability to do that too.

I personally hate the idea of companies neuturing lower gears to control wheel spin. Because what happens when you put good tires or slicks on, and you can physically get grip and You are able to use all the power but the computer won’t give it to you cause its limiting torque in the lower gears. My mazda speed 3 was so bad that the stock tune gave you no boost in first gear.

If I want to limit torque it’s called not giving it as much throttle. That’s why my first mod is always a tune to immediately get rid of any torque limits.

But I can see that boost by gear can be useful in really high powered cars. Where even if you limit your throttle the car still has so much power. But with 200 horsepower… just give it the ability to have all 200 in every gear don’t limit it. My opinion.

I will say I think the 2 biggest oversights of the fist were a lack of lsd, and the tiny tires. They should have found a way to at least put 225s on there from the factory. I think that would have made a huge difference. The turbo size is a very close 3rd, the kp39 is just too small. I think a whoosh hybrid is the perfect turbo size for this engine. If they had put a turbo that size on from factory, and had it make 230 horsepower and 250 torque stock, which the ability to make 330 wheel horsepower on the stock turbo with some tuning and bolt ons. That would be a freaking sick car. Of course then they would have needed to address those idiotic coolant slits between the cylinders. But that’s a good thing, as the design was stupid and should have never been used ina production car to begin with. The 2.0 and 2.3 eco boosts don’t have it. They should have kept that the same for the fist.

Dialcaliper

The low RPM thing is because the 1.6 Ecoboost was actually designed to haul Ford Escapes and Fusions with auto transmissions and improve gas mileage. Hence the tiny turbo and low end torque. Installing it in the Fiesta was a “too many beers, what if we put X in Y” idea at Ford that turned out reasonably well.

If the engine were designed with the hot hatch in mind, it would have ended up more like the Mini Cooper S - a 1.6L with a K04 instead of KP39 turbo. Which interestingly enough, most hybrids are essentially based on a K04 sized CHRA stuffed into the smaller housing.

The Focus ST has the same issue, bigger car, bigger engine, K04 turbo when it should have gotten a frame size larger in a “fresh” design.

Hot hatches on a budget, things are kind of shoehorned in from the parts bin instead of designed from scratch.