Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

$20 Rear Tow Hook Option

As we all know, our cars seriously lack Tow hooks. On eBay I found these loops that utilize the bottom shock bolt, they're meant for e30 and e46 BMWs but they totally work on our car. I got mine from a vendor called Garagistic on eBay for about $20. Since I track my car relatively often, these were a must for me. Anywho, here are some photos. They took about 5 minutes to install with my electric impact, 15mm socket, and jack.

Pete

This is going to save me some money :) thanks for the find!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I think it is a good idea however, a hook under the car has been rejected by the tracks around me.

I do have another idea soon to be announced.

Dave

Young L

yea this was a bit frustrating for me when my car crapped out on my at Hockemhiem. I didnt like the idea of having to use and axle strap to get it on the tow truck.

Sparco makes the tow strap. They cost about 15bucks on amazon. I am just drilling a hole in the crash beam and routing it through the front grill. In the rear I am going to drill out a small hole in the mesh looking area and route it out the hole so it's easy to see for rear recovery. Easy enough to just use a grade 8 bolt, a drill, tow strap. Will post pictures when I finish mine this weekend.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I burned up and number of lower end drill bits on the front bumper then got out my good bits and still overheated the first one, it is made of very hard steel. Once I had a hole big enough I used a HF lower cost step bit to finish it off which worked much better, trashed one in the process but did not want to take a chance on my expensive pro grade step bits.

You may be able to do the rear strap without pulling the bumper cover which would be cool, let us know if so.

If you do pull the cover you may want to consider sanding off the back of the rear "grill" to allow trapped air out the back of the car, I have long planned to do that or mod the tire well and build a big real diffuser:)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
In my experience, hole saws work better than drills.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree if the hole you need is big enough to use one. They still have to have a pilot hole and pilot bits are expensive so perhaps drill it with a cheaper bit then use the hole saw.

Another point on using a strap through a grill, make the hole in the grill big enough to allow for deflection of the strap if the car is pulled at an angle so you do not damage the grill.

I might get a set of the shock mount tie downs as I strap the car down often and it is abit of a pain to crawl under far enough to wrap the straps around the axle.

I burned up and number of lower end drill bits on the front bumper then got out my good bits and still overheated the first one, it is made of very hard steel. Once I had a hole big enough I used a HF lower cost step bit to finish it off which worked much better, trashed one in the process but did not want to take a chance on my expensive pro grade step bits.

You may be able to do the rear strap without pulling the bumper cover which would be cool, let us know if so.

If you do pull the cover you may want to consider sanding off the back of the rear "grill" to allow trapped air out the back of the car, I have long planned to do that or mod the tire well and build a big real diffuser:)
Hoping I don't burn any bits up. If i need to I'll break out my cut off wheel. I'll attempt the rear without pulling the cover just to see if its possible. Hopefully I can find a way, if not I'll def sand down the rear grills to free up that air. Weather not allowing me to get it done this weekend so its postponed until next weekend. Will def reply with my findings.

Got it installed tonight without pulling the bumper. Trying get post the pictures. Takes about 15mins, ramps, a 13mm wrench, and a cut off wheel.

As we all know, our cars seriously lack Tow hooks. On eBay I found these loops that utilize the bottom shock bolt, they're meant for e30 and e46 BMWs but they totally work on our car. I got mine from a vendor called Garagistic on eBay for about $20. Since I track my car relatively often, these were a must for me. Anywho, here are some photos. They took about 5 minutes to install with my electric impact, 15mm socket, and jack.

Sorry for digging up an old ish post but you got a link on where you got those?

green_henry

1000 Post Club