Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Check engine light after oil change & new air filter installed.

I had a scheduled oil change this morning. I ordered an air filter from Oreilly auto parts. ( standard paper filter ). Car is ready to go. I pay & walk out to my car. Start it. Started ok but noticed a check engine light is on. I walk back inside & tell the person up front. He puts the meter on. Apparently erased the code. Light off. I drive a few miles lights back on. I pull into Oreilly auto parts. Open the hood. The sensor, I think it’s the Intake Air temp sensor / MAF ? Is unplugged. I plugged it back in then notice 1 of the screws for the filter cover is missing. Upper left hand corner. The 1 that’s difficult to get to. I called the shop. They have a torx screw on order. Left Oreilly. Thinking problem solved. Check engine is still on. Had Oreilly pull a code. PO113. (IAT). I drive home. Decided I’ll disconnect my battery posts & clean them. 10 minutes later I reconnected the battery. Light is still on. I drive it a little more. Stopped to get something to drink. Restart & now the check engine light is off. I guess it had to cycle on & off a few times. All seems to be well now. ( 2016 Fiesta ST, 42,000 miles ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
That's why you do your own work, or fine a very good shop.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Perhaps this is the process through which people learn? Folks tend to extract maximum learnings from their own mistakes - not mistakes of others. Plus, this could all be coincidental and the good people at O'Reilly are not at fault...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is one reason why I change my own oil! Its some Green FNG high school kid or post Non-college meatball doing the OC. Do you honestly think they will pull an actual Tech to do the OC on the car....Nope...they have a designated individual or individuals for that unless its at the dealer and getting warranty work and just happens to need an OC at the same time. Anywho like others have said find GOOD garage as hard as they are to come by if you don't wanna do your own Maintenance. [raceflag]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The running joke at dealerships is a daily sweep up of all the nuts and bolts that did not get put back on the cars. If it is difficult to get to, it will disappear! I've left dealers with no oil or drain plug, and was told when I brought it back to "drive it a few miles for the oil pressure to build up". I had to point out the missing drain plug! New car dealerships are part time training places for newbies nobody else will hire. My son starved working at dealers, almost never a 40 hour week for newbies, some days he had 2 hours pay, do you think these are happy workers? Like the quickie oil changes.....idiots! My local Goodyear store has been my go to shop for work I cannot do any longer. $20 for oil change and tire rotation when I bring my oil and filter, and they actually check everything. Another thing they have always done is fix flats free. Totally free. Last flat on Fifi they pulled the tire and did a hot patch. I always tip the tech, never a scratched wheel. I started going there 25 years ago with my '68 Barracuda. Never a take back nor complaint with our collective cars in the family. Unfortunately not all Goodyear stores are the same. Just had oil change and new pads, rotors installed. Total for labor + fees was $247. They are perfectly happy with me supplying the parts/oil. I always make appointments for a minimum wait time. If you are in the Chattanooga area it is at Lee Hwy and Shallowford Rd.[wrenchin]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Every location is unique for sure. Were I live dealerships are where you want to end up, you have to have experience to get in the door. They won't hire anybody new unless it's for a lube tech position and they generally want somebody who has went to school for it. I went to school for automotive repair got my associate's degree at the same time. long story short I don't do it for a living I can't screw people over. Cars today really don't need a whole lot of work unless it's warranty repair problems, and you simply can't make a good living in it if you only did what was necessary. Example on missing bolts I worked on a Chevy suburban that had a brake noise well it was missing one of the bolts that held the caliper in. Some of the best repair shops if you're not going to do the work yourself are the ones that don't look like they would be the best. Automotive repair is the lowest paid overall repair position anybody who's done it for a living knows this to be true. You can make more money fixing a toilet then you can rebuilding a engine, and you don't have to invest a ton of money in tools.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Another reason I do my own maintenance. I double check everything, make sure all screws are installed, all connections made, etc. when parts are replaced. Learned at a very early age and I keep in shape to be able to fit under my cars to be able to work on them. I get more sore than I used to but rarely ever have any issues. My cars never go to the dealerships unless it's for warranty or recall work. Too many horror stories- parts left off, not installed right. even heard and read of terrible costly damage to rockers and doors from not installing the lift pads in the proper place. Fortunately the ST is fairly easy to work on. A major factor in a decision for me in buying a new car and something I assess by taking a long 15 or so minutes analyzing a new car for maintenance by looking under the hood and underneath. It drives the sales guys nuts and they ask me- "what are you looking at and studying"....I don't even bother explaining any more.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Besides the fact that you learn a lot, catch a lot during inspections, one of the greatest things about doing your own work is, when something gets screwed-up, you know precisely who to blame.

I changed my oil and filter and the blower motor quit working. Huh? The two things are in NO way related. I knew it was merely coincidence. BUT... imagine if this happened after someone else performed the oil change...

OP
E
Thread Starter #13
I had the oil change & air filter installed at Firestone. I ordered the air filter through Oreilly auto parts. Everything is well at this point. Torx screw is being ordered. After I reconnected the sensor & cycled the car on & off a few times the check light shut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk