Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FORScan - Basic Info and Getting Started

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I recently started using FORScan and wanted to share my experience to help others get started. Note: FORScan is a very powerful tool so use at your own risk.

What you need:
- A laptop running a Windows OS
- FORScan software and extended license (must register and apply for free 2 month trial)
- OBDII ELM adapter. The adapter needs to have a HS/MS CAN switch otherwise you will not see all the available modules. I have this one - VINT ELM327 USB
- Read This Tutorial
- I recommend using a battery tender/maintainer while you are using FORScan. You will have the ignition on (engine off) for extended periods of time and you don't want to drain your battery to the point where it will not start.

Using FORScan
- save your OEM module configuration before doing any editing
- follow all the prompts during setup and editing
- refer to the FORScan Settings Spreadsheet thread that @kenweise so kindly setup

Helpful Links
- FORScan Home Page
- FORScan Download Page
- FORScan Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #2
So, after getting my USB ELM adapter with the HS/MS CAN switch I was finally able to see all the available modules using FORScan. Before that I was using a wireless ELM adapter and could only see the HS CAN modules.

**I have a 2014 Fiesta ST with SYNC 1, your modules may differ if you have a newer model**

When you initially connect, it will ask if you have an adapter with an HS/MS switch. Later on it will ask you to switch between HS (High Speed) CAN and MS (Medium Speed) CAN depending on the module you are trying to access. CAN stands for Controller Area Network.

FORScan HS_MS CAN Reminder.JPG

And here are all the available modules listed

FORScan Modules.JPG

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Have you noticed you can make any DRL changes to the Euro headlights using ForScan? I know I briefly tried it with my reflectors and no wiring changes, but I have the Euro headlights coming and was wondering if any of the 3 options in that one DRL setting we have actually do anything...

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #4
Have you noticed you can make any DRL changes to the Euro headlights using ForScan? I know I briefly tried it with my reflectors and no wiring changes, but I have the Euro headlights coming and was wondering if any of the 3 options in that one DRL setting we have actually do anything...
I'm not sure but the fact that we don't have the same wiring as the Euro models has me thinking it won't work entirely as expected. There isn't much out there in the way of actual testing to verify that FORScan will allow this to work properly so someone will have to just give it a try and test it out. It might be possible just by making software changes but who knows what will actually change without testing it.

I played around with FORScan a little but I'm not planning to make any changes at this point, just going to use it as a diagnostic tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm not sure but the fact that we don't have the same wiring as the Euro models has me thinking it won't work entirely as expected. There isn't much out there in the way of actual testing to verify that FORScan will allow this to work properly so someone will have to just give it a try and test it out. It might be possible just by making software changes but who knows what will actually change without testing it.

I played around with FORScan a little but I'm not planning to make any changes at this point, just going to use it as a diagnostic tool.
Fair enough, you make good points... maybe I can be the one to study the Euro wiring and then see if the limited options we have may end up doing something good. Maybe with a combination of a Forscan change and wiring pin change both can MAYBE get down to just a one pin change and one ForScan setting change to get full and low brightness DRL's without an extra harness. I was hoping that at least one of the half dozen or so of you Euro converters that are socially active enough to ask would have tried it, but now I know. There certainly are enough threads going around on it and I've been poking and prodding these threads to see where the knowledge level is at. I suppose it should be easy to try some things.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
FYI... if your laptop has Bluetooth then the $10 adapters, like THIS one work surprisingly well! I have both a wired USB one from back in the day and a BT dongle and after trying both, the BT one actually seems to work even better.

But thanks again to [MENTION=1907]VirtualRonin[/MENTION], he is the MAN for all the work he has done on both the Euro headlight wiring and now this, which is the best of all the Forscan threads on here! Admins, STICKY this thread for the noobs to find easier!

In all seriousness, I have looked for about an hour on this and can't find an answer. Can you use forscan with your ap installed?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
In all seriousness, I have looked for about an hour on this and can't find an answer. Can you use forscan with your ap installed?
Dude, you just unplug your AP temporarily to attach your OBD reader and switch back when you're done... :)

But no, you can't access the ECU tune with ForScan anyway, it remains untouched, if that's what you mean...

Dude, you just unplug your AP temporarily to attach your OBD reader and switch back when you're done... :)
Installed as in a tune flashed lol, I assumed it could be done with a tune but wasn’t sure. Fully expected to get flamed asking though [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Installed as in a tune flashed lol, I assumed it could be done with a tune but wasn’t sure. Fully expected to get flamed asking though [emoji23]
I had to give you a bit of a hard time :)

So yeah, whatever you flash to your ECU for a tune can't be accessed by ForScan anyway, as far as I know... it's just the other modules for APIM (audio), BCM (chassis electronics) that you are going in and changing bits for different settings on, your ECU tune is all separate so not an issue to worry about.

My apologies to bringing up a 10 day old thread, BUT! When having to Run a Relearn for the rest of the modules, you will have to detune your car. It states such just before you run the relearn process.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So what your saying is before you re-flash you must put everything back to stock settings within the Forscan program? this includes re-flashing between Tunes by a tuner?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My apologies to bringing up a 10 day old thread, BUT! When having to Run a Relearn for the rest of the modules, you will have to detune your car. It states such just before you run the relearn process.
Hmm, maybe this is why I lost my 10 min of radio after ignition shutoff no matter what settings try... pretty sure I did some module rests while definitely still tuned...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So what your saying is before you re-flash you must put everything back to stock settings within the Forscan program? this includes re-flashing between Tunes by a tuner?
I think what he means is that you have to uninstall your AP before performing any of the module resets... I haven't even tried ForScan for a good couple of months but maybe it's why I lost my 10 mins of radio after ignition turn off no matter what I try.. Somehow, even my "AsBuilt" online settings got updated with my updated ones, really, really weird!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Old thread revival,

I am needing to wake up the gps module in the antenna after swapping my busted antenna out for a new one. From what im reading i will have to unmarry my accessport for a short time to turn the gps module on. And change the boot screen to the ST performance boot up.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Old thread revival,

I am needing to wake up the gps module in the antenna after swapping my busted antenna out for a new one. From what im reading i will have to unmarry my accessport for a short time to turn the gps module on. And change the boot screen to the ST performance boot up.
Sounds like it's the safe way to go, is to un-marry your AP before making changes with ForScan and reinstalling afterward, although I don't seem to have any negative effects other than possibly losing my 10 minutes of audio after turning the engine off, and that could be related to a ForScan setting that I just never could figure out... I strongly suggest also disabling the Sony sound processing. I don't even know if it's fair to call it "Sony" sound processing, but whatever it is, is only good for rental car companies to not have idiots blowing out their speakers, it improves sound tremendously disabling that, just don't try to crank the bass setting all the way and then crank the volume all the way up afterward. After disabling, with Bass, Mid and Treble all in the default middle setting the sound is surprisingly very good and well balanced, I only set the fade to one notch toward the rear and that's it!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ok so i got my cable. And downloaded forscan and registered to be able to get the extended liscenses. Can i make those changes with the free trial?
Ive confirmed my hardware ID. It also says something about an activation code in the same box?

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Ok so i got my cable. And downloaded forscan and registered to be able to get the extended liscenses. Can i make those changes with the free trial?
Ive confirmed my hardware ID. It also says something about an activation code in the same box?
It sounds like you are good to go. Plug in your OBDII adapter, start Forscan and see if it connects. The little connect button is at the bottom left on the screen. It may take a few minutes but it is fairly intuitive. Save a copy of your APIM, BCM, etc. of the stock settings before making any changes. That way you can go back to them if needed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was going to buy a dongle to connect my wifes laptop to my car but the only thing I would use it for would be to change the splash screen and background on sync3. I cant use it to stop my car from doing the annoying as hell dinging when I open the door or start the car or keep the hood open. I cant stand that damn sound.