Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Driving help

So I’ve finally found the right deal for the fiesta I want, but it’s 3 hours away, and I have very limited experience with manual transmission, and no teacher. So I’m going to go buy a car and have a 3 hour trip ahead of me with nothing but hours of YouTube videos and a handful of quick encounters behind the wheel of a manual. Is there any advice anyone can give me on driving manual, specifically pertaining to the fiesta st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps the person selling it. Could give you a crash course. On manual transmission. A long freeway ride should make it easier also. Don't ride the clutch. Or lug the engine. By the time you get home. You'll be an expert.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
The clutch engagement is pretty easy and the engine makes good power so theres no need to ride the clutch.

If you understand how to shift you should be fine.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gosh I wish I were closer and could teach you. I taught my two children to drive manuals in 5 minutes. They learned to drive manuals in both high performance cars and trucks before they even drove an automatic. It's so easy if you are taught the proper way. As a result they love M/T so much they both bought M/T for their first cars. BTW most people in my opinion drive manual transmissions incorrectly. Perhaps the enthusiasts on this FIST forum drive them properly but my trained ear on the streets I see and hear these really nice cars and hear the terrible shifts and cringe.

My best advice I can give is do not ride the clutch- the car only makes full power when the clutch is fully engaged. Keep the transition, engagement to a minimum and don't over clutch it on take off or in between shifts. Practice in a parking lot or side street starting and stopping.

Great choice of a car BTW!

The way I teach people is to have them not use the gas at all at first. Just practice slowly letting the clutch out until the car slowly starts to roll. After they can do that a few times, start adding gas as the car start rolling. Once moving changing gears is pretty easy. Just watch the up arrow in the dash.

Ah, this is so great! I did the EXACT same thing last summer, went down to Des Moines from Minneapolis to pick up my FiST. It was my first time ever driving a manual, and I had no teacher. I didn't warn the guys at the dealer either. Once they found out, one dude was speechless, but the other was very helpful. They let me tool around in their back lot to get some practice. That helped a lot before I took it on some quiet side streets to practice in the real world. I brought my son with me, and the ride back was an adventure we'll never forget.

I learned solely from Youtube. These were the most helpful to me (props to Matt Farah and the Smoking Tire).
https://youtu.be/waeOibnmuJk
https://youtu.be/5SQBBGb7GPI

As well as these.
https://youtu.be/KthjI2mMkFc
https://youtu.be/LEJahoaR5Rc

After watching the videos multiple times I knew I could do it; I just needed to actually do it.

Do NOT watch the arrow in the dash. It's commonly known to be way off. The recommended shift points in the driver's manual (listed in mph) are at 2,500 rpm which is quite slow, but that's a nice easy starting point.

First time I drove a stick shift. Was helping dad work on his 1957 Jeep pickup. He wanted me to turn it over. But it started and I plowed through the garage door. I was 7 years old. By the age of 9. Was driving his 1961 VW Microbus around the back yard.

You'll be fine, the FiST basically drives itself!

Seriously though, you've got it in you. You'll know exactly what to do :)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
So I’ve finally found the right deal for the fiesta I want, but it’s 3 hours away, and I have very limited experience with manual transmission, and no teacher. So I’m going to go buy a car and have a 3 hour trip ahead of me with nothing but hours of YouTube videos and a handful of quick encounters behind the wheel of a manual. Is there any advice anyone can give me on driving manual, specifically pertaining to the fiesta st?
The main two things: 1) Take it slow. 2) Remain calm.

The *only* tricky part to manuals is learning the friction point. This is necessary for starting in first and reverse. Other than that, it's cake.

Keep the radio off so you can tune in to the engine RPM sounds... less time glancing at the the gauge.

There's an option in the menus to turn off the "Hill Assist" feature. Do this while you are learning that friction point. Keeping that on, will severely delay your ability to learn that friction point. When really steep hills, you can use the hand brake to start your take off without rolling backwards. You can ask the dealer to help you locate a nearby steep hill to do some practice starts on. It might be several months, but eventually you won't even need the hand brake.

Get the big yellow caution "NEW DRIVER" or "TRAINING" or whatever that magnet is, to stick on the back. Use flashers when needed. That lets people know to keep their distance and expect the unexpected. You'll get a few less glares and middle fingers if you stall on a take-off. They're less likely to hug your rear bumper when stopped on a hill.

Once you're out of first, just treat it like an automatic. Get that reflex action of stabbing the clutch pedal when braking on the brain.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
The comes with built-in Hill Start Assist, make sure its turned on. Accessible through the settings via the touch screen. That will help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hill Assist is turned on by default. If you do opt to keep that on, (delaying your ability to learn the friction point,) keep in mind that it holds for a short period after you let off the brake. If you take too long to engage, it'll cut loose while you're still searching for that friction point.

OP
S
Thread Starter #13
Hey schreck, how did it go? Did you go through with it?
Yea I went Saturday! Been kinda hectic since then with work so I haven’t been on much, but we went to down and got to the dealership about 1, and at like 2:30 I was driving her out! The guy that took us for a test drive took us to a parkinglot and gave me a ton of tips, and now I’m learning more every day I drive it. Love driving manual and don’t wanna look back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk