Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stall/stutter after fillup

We know that some of us have the issue of stall or stutter after we fill our tanks up, to which my car has stalled twice in 5 years of ownership. The focus had recall 18V735000 for the canister purge valve which fixed the issue of the engine stalling. According to a CNET article about the recall, they wrote this sentence, “The recall came about because NHTSA received a few consumer complaints about loss of motive power in 2012-2014 Focus models.”. I have never reported my car stalling to the nhtsa and am wondering if anyone else with a 2014 has had a stall happen after fillup and they reported the event to the nhtsa.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Mine does it all the time. The idle flucttuates and sometimes stalls. I have to keep throttling the engine to keep it running. Its more annoying than anything.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Mine started at around 20k and had the dealer fix it (I believe it was the purge valve). I was fine until around 60k and it just recently started stalling after fill ups again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mikey456

My 2017 stalls too on occasion after filling up.. Someone mentioned on the forum leaving the nozzle in the car for 1/2 minute after filling up the tank instead of returning it right away. Seems to help. My idle drops but the car doesn’t stall as frequently as it used too.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If your car has altered programming and/or hardware, otherwise known as "modded" or "tuned", minus a test or specific code relating to the Evap Purge System, you need to return it to stock parameters before assuming that stutter stall issues are related to this.

Mikey456

It would be nice if somebody did a poll about this stuttering/stall issue. I would like to know how many forum members are affected by this issue. If it was done before, please share the thread. Judging by the replies alone it seems like only a handful of members are affected by the stuttering/stall issue (including myself)

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I get it too!

It has only stalled once, but I do get that quick stutter when filling up. It seems more pronounced when filling up from near empty.

cxwrench

My '14 does it. It hasn't stalled but it definitely stutters sometimes. I was down to about 2 gallons in the tank today and it happened after I filled up. Now that I think about it it seems to happen more when it gets down to below half as [MENTION=10503]babyivan[/MENTION] posted.

My 16 does it every fill up. Leaving the filler in for a few seconds after pumping does help and I've found that it's much less consistent of an issue, but I will still do it from time to time. It started for me at around 45k miles and would cause it to stall pretty regularly. The car now has a mild street tune and a couple other goodies but the issue persists. I agree with most guys on here though, its more so annoying then anything. Like older Hondas with their IACV issues. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Foxhunter said:
I have this issue with my 2016 Fiesta ST also. I’ve noticed if I use ethanol free 93, it doesn’t stutter, or stall anymore. I recently filled up with shell ethanol 93 and it stuttered and shut off as well. If you are close to ethanol free I’d try that as it seems to help tremendously.
These aren't flex-fuel vehicles.

Last edited: