Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Roof Molding Replacement

After some searching online, it looks like I am also a victim of cold weather conditions causing my left and right side roof molding to bend up. Of course, before doing the searches I thought I could just fix it quick with some epoxy which worked for a little while, but the molding on both sides are pulling up at both ends again. I was contemplating taking it back to the dealer, but I found new molding pieces for $30 per side. Once the weather is a bit nicer here in New Jersey, I plan on pulling out both strips and replacing them.

My question is this though. After removing the original molding, what would be the best thing to use to clean up any residue left behind by the double sided tape used at the factory? Is Goo Gone safe to use on the paint? Is there anything better that I should be looking at to make sure all residue is cleaned away before installing the new molding?

OP
darklink
Thread Starter #2
GooGone should be safe but will usually leave behind a residue itself, so you should follow that up with or just use isopropyl alcohol. My preferred, safe cleaner is Simple Green, but I'm not certain how well it would work in this application.
Thanks! I figured GooGone would be safe but always like to check. Will definitely prep the area with isopropyl alcohol before attaching the new molding. Really wish Ford would have just used clips to secure these things...

After some searching online, it looks like I am also a victim of cold weather conditions causing my left and right side roof molding to bend up. Of course, before doing the searches I thought I could just fix it quick with some epoxy which worked for a little while, but the molding on both sides are pulling up at both ends again. I was contemplating taking it back to the dealer, but I found new molding pieces for $30 per side. Once the weather is a bit nicer here in New Jersey, I plan on pulling out both strips and replacing them.

My question is this though. After removing the original molding, what would be the best thing to use to clean up any residue left behind by the double sided tape used at the factory? Is Goo Gone safe to use on the paint? Is there anything better that I should be looking at to make sure all residue is cleaned away before installing the new molding?
Hi... I'm looking to get a replacement roof molding/roof trim for my FiST. Do you happen to have a store link,and how did the replacement turn out?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi... I'm looking to get a replacement roof molding/roof trim for my FiST. Do you happen to have a store link,and how did the replacement turn out?
Enough people have had issues with the roof trim, I think you can find some guidance if you look around.