Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Airbox Heating and Thermal Wrap Question

anticon

It seems like my intake temperatures creep up more than I would have expected with the mountune airbox compared to the stock airbox, I am guessing this is because it's made of metal and allows the heat in the engine bay to transfer into the airbox. So I bought some of this thermal wrap stuff and was planning on wrapping the metal part of the airbox thinking it would maybe block the radiant heat, and insulate it from the convective heat. But when it arrived I realized how thin it is and I don't think I can expect much on the convective heat transfer. Does anyone have any input on if it would be worth installing just from a radiant heat perspective? Any ideas for convective heat transfer?

Thermo-Tec 13575 Adhesive Backed Aluminized Heat Barrier

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I have a ST200 air box I'd sell. It's basically the Mountune box in plastic as used on the European Fiesta ST200's. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #3
I have a ST200 air box I'd sell. It's basically the Mountune box in plastic as used on the European Fiesta ST200's. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
[MENTION=17]CarGuy[/MENTION] Thanks, but an ST200 airbox normally goes for a decent chunk of change used anyway, and I can't imagine what shipping would be from Hawaii. I got this Mountune box used locally for $100 and it came with the filter. I'm on the budget build path and I am looking for a cheap way to decrease the heating of the box. Maybe I will hit it with an infrared thermometer when I get home tonight to see how hot the actual box gets.

Maybe I am just imagining things but I am pretty sure that the air temps are lower than the stock box as long as I am moving, but they increase a lot faster than stock when I am not moving.

There are thicker versions on the market which should better suit your needs. Race teams use similar to protect the ECU.

Try wrapping your whoosh crossover. It's right over the turbo/manifold and also gets heat from the cat in the exhaust tunnel.

My black cp-e intake pipes are wrapped with this:
http://designengineering.com/reflect-a-gold-heat-reflective-sheet/
Didn't wrap the stainless cp-e box. With car in motion, AP logged 3deg F ACT improvement radiant heat reflection. Not a lot can be done for the convective heat buildup when the car is stationary. Maybe a Seibon RS vented hood will help.

Then there's this:
http://designengineering.com/floor-tunnel-shield-ii-extreme-heat-shield/