Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's left?

So I'm at Cobb stage 2, with a short shift kit and an upgraded rear motor mount. I've got an adjustable coil-over suspension on order. I even have a light bar behind the grill for late night canyon carving. I'm not too interested in an exhaust upgrade (not enough bang for the buck) and I live in California, so I'm pretty sure there's no more room for horsepower gains if I want to pass smog. I'm trying to find a buddy out of state who will let me register my car to their address, but until then Engine mods are off the table. What next? Should I put on a sway bar and trunk brace? Get wider axles and a wide body kit? Or something else? I'm sort of at a loss and looking for ideas to make this puppy play even harder. I live off of Pacific Coast Hwy, around Mulholland, Encinal, Decker, Stunt Rd., etc... so anything that makes me faster around corners is welcome. My baby's all go no show, so cosmetics are secondary. Tell me what ya'll think.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I'm at Cobb stage 2, with a short shift kit and an upgraded rear motor mount. I've got an adjustable coil-over suspension on order. I even have a light bar behind the grill for late night canyon carving. I'm not too interested in an exhaust upgrade (not enough bang for the buck) and I live in California, so I'm pretty sure there's no more room for horsepower gains if I want to pass smog. I'm trying to find a buddy out of state who will let me register my car to their address, but until then Engine mods are off the table. What next? Should I put on a sway bar and trunk brace? Get wider axles and a wide body kit? Or something else? I'm sort of at a loss and looking for ideas to make this puppy play even harder. I live off of Pacific Coast Hwy, around Mulholland, Encinal, Decker, Stunt Rd., etc... so anything that makes me faster around corners is welcome. My baby's all go no show, so cosmetics are secondary. Tell me what ya'll think.
Two...four or six point brace....Trunk Brace. Motor mounts?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
A Pierce 4 or 6 point front brace for sure. Maybe a rear sway bar or torsion beam stiffener. I hear a trunk brace is both good or non-effective so dunno about that. Consensus is that a front strut brace does nothing. Of course tires makes a huge difference.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
2/4/6 point front brace. Lighter wheels (17x8) and the Wilwood BBK to reduce unsprung, spinning weight. Balance the new front brakes with Focus SVT caliper brackets and rotors in the rear. When you burn off the stock tires, something in a 215/40 (215/45 is a tad too tall and 205/40 is too narrow for 8" wheels). A LSD and lightened flywheel. If you're having problems with heal-and-toe, pedal covers and/or spacer.

This is a momentum car, not a bruiser, so add handling, traction, and lightness where it counts the most.

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
Appreciate the input. I forgot to mention I've got new tires and wheels, too, which does make a difference. I love the nitrous idea, but it doesn't really seem practical for this application. it sounds like bracing is the way to go. Thanks, all.

OP
R
Thread Starter #7
Been doing more research. No one mentioned the Quaife LSD. I’m curious as to why. Are braces going to make that much difference?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Been doing more research. No one mentioned the Quaife LSD. I’m curious as to why. Are braces going to make that much difference?
I mentioned a LSD. There are options other than Quaife. The 2/4/6 front brace makes a noticeable difference.

OP
R
Thread Starter #9
My bad, I missed it. I’m moving forward with the mounts, per your suggestion, btw. I appreciate the input.

OP
R
Thread Starter #10
2/4/6 point front brace. Lighter wheels (17x8) and the Wilwood BBK to reduce unsprung, spinning weight. Balance the new front brakes with Focus SVT caliper brackets and rotors in the rear. When you burn off the stock tires, something in a 215/40 (215/45 is a tad too tall and 205/40 is too narrow for 8" wheels). A LSD and lightened flywheel. If you're having problems with heal-and-toe, pedal covers and/or spacer.

This is a momentum car, not a bruiser, so add handling, traction, and lightness where it counts the most.
Got some mount upgrades and some braces inbound. I’m with you on the momentum car thing, although I’m working on a way to put on some big power mods, ie bigger turbo, different camshaft, etc...and still drive on the street. I’ve even thought about going with a full on racing engine and just buying a second FiST to keep stock. My wife would probably kill me though. Next time I have a few hundred thou laying around I’m gonna pick up a world rallycross RS and disguise it under a bland paint job so I can put this Ferrari I see all the time to shame.

Jerickson88

I am working on a solution for the impossible SVT rear brackets.