Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How do you guys get such good mileage?

Spork1569

Hi all,
I read a lot about people getting 30+ mpg on their fist average, but since owning it mine hovers around 25-26 if I'm not driving aggressively.

On the highway my instant readout can usually be around 30+ but in the city with lots of stop and go is what kills mileage.

Mods ok so far are RMM, Cobb stage 1 ots tune, ramair drop in and DV+.

Also been meaning to switch to better spark plugs as I haven't checked them at all and car is at 32k, would that contribute to mileage issues?

I never gotten over 28 mpg on my usafe of the car. However I do full throttle often during the day. I have Stratified tune 93, IC and Radiator.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
I did 200 miles interstate driving yesterday. Filled up at the exit where I got on, filled up at the exit where I got off. 93 octane Dizzy tune, 65mph cruise control all way. Logged 40mpg

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I get between 28, and 30 every tank. I drive fairly hard though. The OEM spark plugs are fine if you start doing aggressive tuning it's a good idea to go to a colder plug.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #6
I get between 28, and 30 every tank. I drive fairly hard though. The OEM spark plugs are fine if you start doing aggressive tuning it's a good idea to go to a colder plug.

Currently saving for an IC so I can go stage 2, would that warrant for colder plugs?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Currently saving for an IC so I can go stage 2, would that warrant for colder plugs?
Colder plugs in general are not a bad idea. Really there's only one negative if you don't drive hard enough, or you do nothing but short trips it's possible to foul out your spark plugs because they're not burning hot enough.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Getting good mileage in the city is as simple as keeping your foot out of it, short shifting and skipping gears I use 1-2-4-6. If you do you will see the 32 I get in the city. I get 38 hwy running 74 mph and using non-ethanol 93 octane on MP-215 tune. Just replaced brake at 29K and OEM tires still have another 5K. Don't race or autoX but do drive the E. TN and W. NC mountain twisties like TOTD often.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The joys of running A BT and Not getting into it often helps out....I average 32.5- 35 hwy and 29-32 in the city. But if I beat on it.....it gets down to that.[ridinghorse]

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I average 33 even with a years worth of autocrossing involved. I drive like I am bipolar though, gentle 90% of the time, idiot 10%.

Fuelly

^-Im the same, except skew the idiot percentage more toward 20-25%, haha. I barely manage 28 avg with about 50/50 city/highway. Work is only a 5 min drive in town for me but I tend to extend that to get the fluids properly warmed up, and 2 or 3 days of the week I drive about 50mi one way to school. Sometimes I wish we had flatter, less populated highways here in SoCal.

I average 39.8 but my commute is mostly off the main highway, 2 and 3 lane roads 55 MPH with a few stops. Aside from a few romps on the gas to burst out or away from bad drivers, I mostly drive with a light right foot, take offs are steady and easy and use CC a lot. My mileage goes down from this on trips where I drive on the highway at 70-75 MPH.

My car is stock except for MBRP CAT back exhaust and I run 93 octane.

I usually average 28-31 commuting 10 miles to work and back, if I end up doing longer (20+) miles I can start to get the MPG up to mid 30's, but I really have to work at it. freeway only, set the cruise at 55-65, minimal acceleration, keep the it out of boost.

SrsBsns

^-Im the same, except skew the idiot percentage more toward 20-25%, haha. I barely manage 28 avg with about 50/50 city/highway. Work is only a 5 min drive in town for me but I tend to extend that to get the fluids properly warmed up, and 2 or 3 days of the week I drive about 50mi one way to school. Sometimes I wish we had flatter, less populated highways here in SoCal.
Only sometimes you wish we had less populated freeways? I wish that every. damn. day.

I'm with you on the 20-25% probably. I'm normally a pretty slow driver unless there are fun roads, then I can't help myself.

Even when I do try to baby it... light throttle, short shifting, etc... I get about 28mpg. When I drive normally, I see about 26. I can't really ever get it over 30 unless I'm on the freeway, but even then, I'm doing 80 and that hurts the cause. I can't drive 65.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I usually get 27 mpg. I drive in traffic over three hours a day so I can't get much better

Running Cobb OTS tune and I also notice its rich af

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im averaging about 28 with about 90% on the highway... stop-and-go traffic included.

Compared to my old 5.0 foxes and my old 325i, thats pretty good. Im sure if i babied it i could hit 35+.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Only sometimes you wish we had less populated freeways? I wish that every. damn. day.

I'm with you on the 20-25% probably. I'm normally a pretty slow driver unless there are fun roads, then I can't help myself.

Even when I do try to baby it... light throttle, short shifting, etc... I get about 28mpg. When I drive normally, I see about 26. I can't really ever get it over 30 unless I'm on the freeway, but even then, I'm doing 80 and that hurts the cause. I can't drive 65.
Haha, if only we could have it all, right? At least we have a lot of different twisty driving roads to choose from

I'm just excited to have my overall average get up to 26.8 today. it's 10 mpg better than my corvette so I'm happy.

I've never owned a car that did over 30mpg real world and never owner a tire that made it to 10k miles. Fun cars are only a good value if you use them as such.

You also have to keep it out of boost. I had a 2016 WRX 6 speed manual I bought brand new that I also got really good gas mileage with. I averaged over 32 MPG with it and on one trip I got a real 40 MPG, going a steady 70 MPH on the highway, flat road, no wind, light traffic with CC on, windows down, only me in the car on a day in the mid 80's. People could not believe I got that and I still remember one response on the forum was "Are you sure your engine is not missing the turbo?"

Temperature, number of people, weight in the car, whether the AC is on or off, tire pressure are also factors.

I tend to drive my cars the same and generally get better than the EPA in most of them. A few noticeable exceptions- I remember the gas guzzlers: 2011 WRX- worst of any car or truck ever- miserable 16-18 MPG highway- almost same commuting as my 2016 WRX, which got more than 2X the MPG. And a 2013 Nissan Juke CVT- low 20's.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You also have to keep it out of boost. I had a 2016 WRX 6 speed manual I bought brand new that I also got really good gas mileage with. I averaged over 32 MPG with it and on one trip I got a real 40 MPG, going a steady 70 MPH on the highway, flat road, no wind, light traffic with CC on, windows down, only me in the car on a day in the mid 80's. People could not believe I got that and I still remember one response on the forum was "Are you sure your engine is not missing the turbo?"

Temperature, number of people, weight in the car, whether the AC is on or off, tire pressure are also factors.
Did that engine have the duel fuel injection system from Toyota? I know they redid the WRX engine and fuel system, but the STI was still using the older engine which is a fuel hog.