Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

First track day coming up, what should I expect from a stock car?

Jerickson88

So I put the car back stock, again because I thought I was selling..

She sat a month and collected pollen, and a buddy of mine suggested trying an open track day at Talladega Grand Prix Raceway. They seem to host an event once a month at least, either a day or evening. Evenings are $80 bucks to run.

I'd really like to give it a whirl, but am I going to be disappointed in a stock car? I have 215/40-17 all seasons on, and am considering the 215/40-17 Federal 595 RS-RR, since the car has been bumped to pleasure status.

I know there's some obvious mods like rmm, ap3 that make the car much more enjoyable, and will get back to those later.

What should I expect? I am looking to buy my own helmet as well, like an open face Racequip sa2015..

Any suggestions for a first timer?

Keeping it budget friendly. If I can enjoy the car with ap3, rmm, and tires, a fmic,, and that be it for a while, I'll be happy.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #3
I recommend upgrading your brake fluid as a first step. I've been running Redline RL600.
Explain. I get to replace it, just really interested in the why aspect. Should this be done before the first track day, I have 38k miles on the car.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Fluid and get off the allseasons. Also check over pads to
Make sure have enough life in them.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I really don’t know
Much on the federals other than people seem to love them
For The price. Waiting to hear more on the new version.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #7
I really don’t know
Much on the federals other than people seem to love them
For The price. Waiting to hear more on the new version.
Maybe it's a good time to give them a go. The all seasons have a bit of wear anyways.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Definitely do brake fluid. That is a must I think everyone agrees on. The last thing you want to do is boil your brake fluid. Unfortunately I've never got to do a track.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #9
Definitely do brake fluid. That is a must I think everyone agrees on. The last thing you want to do is boil your brake fluid. Unfortunately I've never got to do a track.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Do I just use a bleeder pump, bleed out the old, and refill the reservoir with the new, and work my way around the car pulling the fluid back thru?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I’ve been to that track a lot. It eats tires and you’ll want fresh brake fluid. A stock fiesta is perfectly fine there. I find ATE Type 200 brake fluid works better than RBF600 in this car. If you need someone to flush it for you contact GTE in Chamblee. He can also hook you up with tires if you’re in need. TGP is a blast in a Fiesta!

Edit: Just realized you’re in AL... GTE is in atlanta. My bad. Also, RSRRs are extremely loud. Go with the RSR if you drive on the street. They are pretty quiet, cheaper and stick really well. I’m playing with pressure still but 26~27 cold (before you head to the track) should be a good starting point.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #11
I’ve been to that track a lot. It eats tires and you’ll want fresh brake fluid. A stock fiesta is perfectly fine there. I find ATE Type 200 brake fluid works better than RBF600 in this car. If you need someone to flush it for you contact GTE in Chamblee. He can also hook you up with tires if you’re in need. TGP is a blast in a Fiesta!

Edit: Just realized you’re in AL... GTE is in atlanta. My bad. Also, RSRRs are extremely loud. Go with the RSR if you drive on the street. They are pretty quiet, cheaper and stick really well. I’m playing with pressure still but 26~27 cold (before you head to the track) should be a good starting point.
I drive the car occasionally at this point. My tahoe has mud tires on it that I take the kids and family around, noise isn't an issue.

Are you running equal pressure at each?

Look at their schedule and let me know if you can make any track days. Would be cool to run around with another FiST.

Have you ever been to Midpond? It's mostly a drift track but they have open track days as well.

EDIT.
I am probably going to buy the Motive Products power bleeder. I can most likely use this at work. The ATE seems to have a better price point as well. Not that a few bucks matter, but more product less money and better than what I currently have.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I drive the car occasionally at this point. My tahoe has mud tires on it that I take the kids and family around, noise isn't an issue.

Are you running equal pressure at each?

Look at their schedule and let me know if you can make any track days. Would be cool to run around with another FiST.

Have you ever been to Midpond? It's mostly a drift track but they have open track days as well.

EDIT.
I am probably going to buy the Motive Products power bleeder. I can most likely use this at work. The ATE seems to have a better price point as well. Not that a few bucks matter, but more product less money and better than what I currently have.
I run the same pressure in each tire at TGP. I change it a little at other tracks. There is a possibility I will be there this Saturday, but I' not 100% committed yet. I haven't heard of Midpond. I'll look it up.
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] posted this little bleeder a while ago. It works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DDAECW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #15
I run the same pressure in each tire at TGP. I change it a little at other tracks. There is a possibility I will be there this Saturday, but I' not 100% committed yet. I haven't heard of Midpond. I'll look it up.
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] posted this little bleeder a while ago. It works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DDAECW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll check it out.

How's lighting in the evenings there? First runs are at 4pm. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on fluid and the power bleeder.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #16
Went ahead and picked up 2L of ATE typ 200, also came recommended from a buddy that races club down here. Got a mityvac as well, I can use this at work too.

If i pick up new tires prior to the track day, how many miles should i put on before i consider them to be properly cycled?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I'll check it out.

How's lighting in the evenings there? First runs are at 4pm. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on fluid and the power bleeder.

I’ve not driven at night but I’d imagine you’ll have good natural light until well after 7PM.

OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #18
I’ve not driven at night but I’d imagine you’ll have good natural light until well after 7PM.
Sounds good. I will probably be on these All Seasons the first time, we are moving this week, and have a few other things going on but the event in May, I'll have either RT615K or 595 RS-RR on the car