Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for Tire Advice with New Wheels

Hey everyone, so I just put on my Swift Springs and I love the lowered look, but I decided I really want the wheels to sit closer to flush with the fenders.

I thought about spacers, but decided I might as well just get a set of wheels that I really like and get some wider tires while I'm at it.

I've done a lot of research and it seems like 215/40/17 is the widest I can go with the 17x7.5 Rota Titans that I want (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seems there aren't any 225/40/17 tires available anyway).

So first off, anyone have any recommendations on where to buy the titans from? 18racing.com has them for $725 shipped in Hyper Black.

Second, I'm leaning towards either the Federal RS-R, Federal RS-RR or possibly the Federal ST-1 tires. I'm still kind of unclear on the difference between the RS-RR and the RS-R. I'm wondering also if the ST-1 tires have better grip than the stock Potenzas or if they're worse. I absolutely don't want worse dry traction than the stock tires. I really don't care a ton about rain driving or snow driving as it's very rare for me. Having said all that, I also would like the tire to last at least 15k Miles. Anyone have any idea how long these tires will last with spirited street driving mostly?

Thanks so much for helping out! I'm hoping to nail this down in the next few days so I can make my order and get this Magnetic Fiesta looking hot! haha

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
MY Vote here is to Powdercoat the Stockers a crazy color of your choice. Its cheaper and you can spend you money on better mods....IMO. Then again what the hell do I know anyways.....[party]

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im running 215/40/17s Federal SS595s on my some 17x7.5 wheels. They fit fine. Ride quality improves because of more sidewall.

Im thinking of picking up RS-R/ RS-RRs.....

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I've done a lot of research and it seems like 215/40/17... <snipped for brevity>

Second, I'm leaning towards either the Federal RS-R, Federal RS-RR or possibly the Federal ST-1 tires. I'm still kind of unclear on the difference between the RS-RR and the RS-R. I'm wondering also if the ST-1 tires have better grip than the stock Potenzas or if they're worse. I absolutely don't want worse dry traction than the stock tires. I really don't care a ton about rain driving or snow driving as it's very rare for me. Having said all that, I also would like the tire to last at least 15k Miles. Anyone have any idea how long these tires will last with spirited street driving mostly?
I'm looking for a 215/40 as well.

If you're happy with 15k, then a 200 treadwear tire would work for you. Rather than the RS-RR, the RS-PRO just came out but doesn't look like it's quite yet available in the US (any day now?). Maybe someone will chime in - isn't the PRO a replacement for the RS-RR? Anyway, supposedly has a lot less road noise than the RS-RR. I really want something to last a little longer though, so looking at the RS-R and ST-1, but the Federal prices aren't as low as they once were so there's a few more options around the same price point.

On edit:
Two other inexpensive 280 treadwear tires to consider available in 215/40: Nitto Neo Gen and Pirelli P Zero Nero. Yokohama S Drive is a 300 treadwear and a little more pricey.

Second edit:
Little research on the forum, Neo Gen is an all-season (AS), which I don't really need. I do need decent wet traction though. I'm heavily leaning RS-R.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
MY Vote here is to Powdercoat the Stockers a crazy color of your choice. Its cheaper and you can spend you money on better mods....IMO. Then again what the hell do I know anyways.....[party]
Haha yea but I would have to get spacers, cuz I really don't like how far in the wheels are. The spacers and plastidip/powdercoat would cost more than half the price of the new wheels. Plus they'd still be WAY heavier and I don't love the design.

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
Im running 215/40/17s Federal SS595s on my some 17x7.5 wheels. They fit fine. Ride quality improves because of more sidewall.

Im thinking of picking up RS-R/ RS-RRs.....

Damn I didn't even know about the Federal SS595s! They seem like a good tire. How do they compare to the stock Potenzas as far as 1st/2nd gear traction and turning grip?

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I'm looking for a 215/40 as well.

If you're happy with 15k, then a 200 treadwear tire would work for you. Rather than the RS-RR, the RS-PRO just came out but doesn't look like it's quite yet available in the US (any day now?). Maybe someone will chime in - isn't the PRO a replacement for the RS-RR? Anyway, supposedly has a lot less road noise than the RS-RR. I really want something to last a little longer though, so looking at the RS-R and ST-1, but the Federal prices aren't as low as they once were so there's a few more options around the same price point.

On edit:
Two other inexpensive 280 treadwear tires to consider available in 215/40: Nitto Neo Gen and Pirelli P Zero Nero. Yokohama S Drive is a 300 treadwear and a little more pricey.

Second edit:
Little research on the forum, Neo Gen is an all-season (AS), which I don't really need. I do need decent wet traction though. I'm heavily leaning RS-R.
Yea it looks like the RS Pro isn't out quite yet, but it looks promising. Any experience with the Federal SS595? Looks like it might be a good one.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Damn I didn't even know about the Federal SS595s! They seem like a good tire. How do they compare to the stock Potenzas as far as 1st/2nd gear traction and turning grip?
Theyre hi performance all-seasons... You probably lose grip vs Potenzas, but if you go wider to 215s its a wash. They also lose the super sharp turn in. Ive got close to 28k on mine and they still have lots of tread. My Potenzas were gone at 26K. Theyre only like $65 each. Cheap.

I daily my FiST. It spends 75% of its life in bumper to bumper traffic. I drive 50+ miles a day. The softer, taller sidewall helps with ride quality (think passengers). They wear great.....perfect for a commuter that sees some weekend fun.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, sadly, the ONLY 225/40-17s made are full race slick, 00 tread wear, gumballs (Hoosier A/R 7s), as all of the big name/street tire manufacturers REFUSE TO produce anything else in that size. [mad] [:(]

Here to vouch for the 595 RS-R, just had a set installed on Friday and couldn't be happier with the traction increase. They also don't look terrible with the lettering painted black~

OP
S
Thread Starter #13
Here to vouch for the 595 RS-R, just had a set installed on Friday and couldn't be happier with the traction increase. They also don't look terrible with the lettering painted black~
Any reason you didn't go for the RS-RR? No idea if the tread ratings are accurate, but the RR seems to last a bit longer and also be stickier. Thanks!

OP
S
Thread Starter #14
So I'm doing some more digging and reading terrible things about the RS-RR and RS-R when it comes to Road Noise. This might be a deal breaker since it's my daily. Anyone have any experience with the Falken Azenis RT615K+? They're a little more expensive, but I can't have a crazy loud tire. Louder than stock is fine, but some people were saying it literally sounds like your wheel bearings are going bad with the Federal Tires.

OP
S
Thread Starter #15
Also thinking of the Dunlop Direzza Z2 or Z3 if anyone has any opinions on those.

I have 17x8 titans with 215 40 azenis rt615k+ tires. Love em. Super sticky and I don't notice much road noise. There was definitely more stretch than I thought there would be. I don't daily my car so I can't attest to there long term durability but I'm super happy with them.

Any reason you didn't go for the RS-RR? No idea if the tread ratings are accurate, but the RR seems to last a bit longer and also be stickier. Thanks!
Strictly price for me. Found a better deal on the RS-Rs. And the noise, while louder, isn't awful.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So I'm doing some more digging and reading terrible things about the RS-RR and RS-R when it comes to Road Noise. This might be a deal breaker since it's my daily. Anyone have any experience with the Falken Azenis RT615K+? They're a little more expensive, but I can't have a crazy loud tire. Louder than stock is fine, but some people were saying it literally sounds like your wheel bearings are going bad with the Federal Tires.
Think lifted coal rolla, FULL mud tire singing (screaming actually) for the RS-RRs. :(

And yes, the RS-Rs ARE quieter than the RS-RRs.

OP
S
Thread Starter #19
Think lifted coal rolla, FULL mud tire singing (screaming actually) for the RS-RRs. :(

And yes, the RS-Rs ARE quieter than the RS-RRs.
Haha ok good to know. I guess I'll try the RS-R since it's so cheap and see how it goes. Unfortunately I'll have to wait now, because no one has the Rota Titans in stock. They're saying it'll be another month or two til they get them in.

One guy I autoxed with said the rsrr were ridiculously noisy on road. He didn't much mind as that car wasn't his daily.
I have the RT615K+ in 205/40/17. Don't find them noisy at all. Nice and grippy. Probably my only complaint would be the amount of rocks and pebbles they hold on to at low speed, makes such a racket in the rear. Get going fast enough and they can't hang on though. Also, so far they've been fine in the wet. Read some complaints about wet grip, haven't had that issue myself.