Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo time within ~2 months. Big vs hybrid, need opinions/experiences

I'll chime in since I just did a Whoosh Hybrid set-up install on a COBB Stage 3 car.

It really all depends what you mainly will do with the car and what your goals are. Naturally.

For me I just wanted to hurt some feelings but only push the car to it's "safest" DD limits. So that would be a hybrid setup on 93 with stock fuel system.

If you can break into the 12s with a hybrid FiST that's pretty admirable honestly assuming you care about 1/4 mile. Also, in regards to autocrossing it there are so many other expenses between brakes, wheels/tires, suspension it really is a slippery slope on-top of all that if you go big-turbo as opposed to hybrid.

So far my experience on my tune (still working with JST) is that the car remains completely drive-able on a normal commute but literally rages when you get into the throttle. The spool is awesome on low and the boost and torque are super strong when you're digging into it.

The TLDR is a hybrid set-up for a DD that will hurt some feelings and make you grin non-stop all while keeping the mechanical internals and fuels system in check, hybrid all the way.

And a quick shout out to Ron at Whoosh for being such a great owner and representative for Whoosh. Ron answered all my phone calls and returned every email/VM. He really went the extra mile to make sure I was not only comfortable with the build but confident in the purchase and build from beginning to end.

I'll chime in since I just did a Whoosh Hybrid set-up install on a COBB Stage 3 car.

It really all depends what you mainly will do with the car and what your goals are. Naturally.

For me I just wanted to hurt some feelings but only push the car to it's "safest" DD limits. So that would be a hybrid setup on 93 with stock fuel system.

If you can break into the 12s with a hybrid FiST that's pretty admirable honestly assuming you care about 1/4 mile. Also, in regards to autocrossing it there are so many other expenses between brakes, wheels/tires, suspension it really is a slippery slope on-top of all that if you go big-turbo as opposed to hybrid.

So far my experience on my tune (still working with JST) is that the car remains completely drive-able on a normal commute but literally rages when you get into the throttle. The spool is awesome on low and the boost and torque are super strong when you're digging into it.

The TLDR is a hybrid set-up for a DD that will hurt some feelings and make you grin non-stop all while keeping the mechanical internals and fuels system in check, hybrid all the way.

And a quick shout out to Ron at Whoosh for being such a great owner and representative for Whoosh. Ron answered all my phone calls and returned every email/VM. He really went the extra mile to make sure I was not only comfortable with the build but confident in the purchase and build from beginning to end.
Did you have a shop install? Or did you diy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I DIY.

I can post my notes and the videos I used to get prepared. Took me 8 hours by myself from start to finish.

I know i could do it, but feel comfortable having someone professionally install it... I’m hoping to go hybrid next year.

Whatever works for you.

I enjoy wrenching, it's my garage therapy and the reward of a job well done it worth it for me.

It really isn't that complicated at all. My last build was on an LS1 and I went as far as to drop the trans and rebuild it myself (but had a trans shop check the tolerance for final bolt).

At the end of the day it's all just nuts and bolts man. Just watch some videos, read some forums, take notes and pictures as you go. Lots of money to be saved diy.

I think one thing that isn’t scrutinized enough in buying an aftermarket turbo is balls, ball bearings that is. That shaft(ha ha) is spinning ridiculously fast with long duty cycles. Btw, the MRX has ball bearings in case you were wondering.
Hey man, good luck
Buy a real turbo and don’t buy a hybrid or the hybrid will flame out.

Soooooooo. A Hybrid isn't a "real" turbo?

Also, can you post some links to Hybrid "flame out"?

It's ok to make statements just back them up so it's not just internet noise.
Just get a real turbo or else!

ROCKYFiestta

what is a good reputable vendor for the GTX2860 in the states I would not like to buy something this expensive and wait/deal with overseas company

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
also can I run e40 on this turbo and get close to 300, I would not want to do aux fuel until later on
Yes....you will hit that +/- 10hp depending on flat road....weather....Bugs....Birds....etc....and start to run out of fuel...just gather parts and do it all at once....IMO. I have a Gen2 GTX2860 also ...so I know

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

The back and forth battle between hybrid and big turbo makes little sense... each one will give the car a different driving experience. Know your goals and get the turbo that suits it. The claimed higher reliability of a BT is a moot point if you're happy with hybrid power numbers and looking for a quick spooling car anyway...

I have the FF4545 hybrid from fury motoring. I am getting decent power at high altitude in Calgary. It's not as torque-y down-low, but way more power from 4000rpm upward. It pulls pretty hard. Oh, and I'm on E30. I haven't been on a dyno but I was chasing down a Focus RS last week and he was surprised I kept-up. I was nowhere near keeping-up with an RS on the stock turbo (Yes, I tried:D:D:D).

.....but I already want a bigger turbo...because I want Moa-powwwaaaa!!!

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I have the FF4545 hybrid from fury motoring. I am getting decent power at high altitude in Calgary. It's not as torque-y down-low, but way more power from 4000rpm upward. It pulls pretty hard. Oh, and I'm on E30. I haven't been on a dyno but I was chasing down a Focus RS last week and he was surprised I kept-up. I was nowhere near keeping-up with an RS on the stock turbo (Yes, I tried:D:D:D).

.....but I already want a bigger turbo...because I want Moa-powwwaaaa!!!
How many turbos have you had installed? 3 including stock?

What do your VDyno logs look like?

How many turbos have you had installed? 3 including stock?

What do your VDyno logs look like?
I only have accessport numbers :( I've only installed the one hybrid turbo after I bought the car. My assessment of the turbo's performance is based largely on speaking with my tuner and resaearch I've done about the aftermarket hybrid's available :unsure:

Imo hybrid is the only option for a 93 only street car. The driving dynamics and powerband make it immensely more fun on the day to day since none of us drive 10/10 100% of the time and the top end power will be comparable on 93. If you are planning on aux and E or higher octane/
want more than 300whp I would go big turbo. For what your situation sounds like, Go hybrid! It’s cheaper, more fun and whoosh is a great and active vendor that stands behind his products.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
i need halp. its almost turbo time.
option #1 is whoosh hybrid+whoosh intercooler. good combo solid power. part of me says 'what if i get bored though'?
option #2 gtx2860r+alphabravo intercooler. that way if i do get bored all i need is aux fuel and a tune to get more.

fuel will be good 93 only, no e30. (before you ask, i drive 40 miles a day and can't be bothered taking a 2 hour round trip every weekend/every other weekend to load up on ethanol)

i was set on a hybrid and getting it done very soon, but then that option #2 thought popped in my head. i'm really torn and need opinions preferably from those that have had experience with both kind of setups. is hybrid turbo really satisfying enough on power? is the gtx too much? slightly worried if i go gtx, and end up getting aux, i'll kill the dailyness of the car.
So what's the verdict? What you gonna do meng...its been 2 months!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Imo hybrid is the only option for a 93 only street car. The driving dynamics and powerband make it immensely more fun on the day to day since none of us drive 10/10 100% of the time and the top end power will be comparable on 93. If you are planning on aux and E or higher octane/
want more than 300whp I would go big turbo. For what your situation sounds like, Go hybrid! It’s cheaper, more fun and whoosh is a great and active vendor that stands behind his products.

I’ll race any hybrid Edit: in Mnexico or Amurico