Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo time within ~2 months. Big vs hybrid, need opinions/experiences

i need halp. its almost turbo time.
option #1 is whoosh hybrid+whoosh intercooler. good combo solid power. part of me says 'what if i get bored though'?
option #2 gtx2860r+alphabravo intercooler. that way if i do get bored all i need is aux fuel and a tune to get more.

fuel will be good 93 only, no e30. (before you ask, i drive 40 miles a day and can't be bothered taking a 2 hour round trip every weekend/every other weekend to load up on ethanol)

i was set on a hybrid and getting it done very soon, but then that option #2 thought popped in my head. i'm really torn and need opinions preferably from those that have had experience with both kind of setups. is hybrid turbo really satisfying enough on power? is the gtx too much? slightly worried if i go gtx, and end up getting aux, i'll kill the dailyness of the car.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Hybrid.

You stay within safe margins on multiple other components and the car driving dynamic doesn’t change as much. As in, you’re not waiting for turbo boost with the hybrid anymore than stock really - big turbo cars drive like... big turbo cars.

If you get bored, get a project car. Or change platforms.

OP
meekestboaster
Thread Starter #3
Hybrid.

You stay within safe margins on multiple other components and the car driving dynamic doesn’t change as much. As in, you’re not waiting for turbo boost with the hybrid anymore than stock really - big turbo cars drive like... big turbo cars.

If you get bored, get a project car. Or change platforms.
the project thing sadly isn't really an option. i can afford a couple mods, but a whole new car and all the issues that come along with it i can not. i need to save cause the GF and i are moving out early next year. not to mention, parking at new place, no garage anymore, etc. otherwise, i'd love it.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
the project thing sadly isn't really an option. i can afford a couple mods, but a whole new car and all the issues that come along with it i can not. i need to save cause the GF and i are moving out early next year. not to mention, parking at new place, no garage anymore, etc. otherwise, i'd love it.
Hybrid.

You can’t afford unexpected expenses which have the higher potential to occur with a big turbo and big turbo power.

Get the hybrid and drive the wheels off it - spend the ‘extra’ money on tires.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Funny, in my opinion, I think that the Garrett turbo option is significantly more reliable in respect to the turbo and the engine of the Fiesta. Garrett is a reputable manufacturer that builds these in a manufacturing process with excellent quality control. The failure rates of these turbos are very low and I have yet to see a failure in the EcoBoost world for a Garrett turbo. All of the hybrids have had failures of the turbo itself and not only that, cause the EGT's to run too hot (hotter than Ford intended) in many applications. Pumaspeed, Revo, whoosh, SourSkittle, Vargas, etc. have all had hybrid turbo failures in the EcoBoost world and outside of it (for those manufacturers who remanufacture turbos for other applications). Not only that, but increasing low end torque versus moving it into the mid-range increases chances for engine failure.

Again, all my opinion, but just another perspective to add food for thought. Please keep in mind my bias, as my first turbo upgrade was the Revo RT330 which turned out to be a complete dud with design flaws. From that process, I have learned a great deal from a number of manufacturers who have been building turbos for a long time.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Funny, in my opinion, I think that the Garrett turbo option is significantly more reliable in respect to the turbo and the engine of the Fiesta. Garrett is a reputable manufacturer that builds these in a manufacturing process with excellent quality control. The failure rates of these turbos are very low and I have yet to see a failure in the EcoBoost world for a Garrett turbo. All of the hybrids have had failures of the turbo itself and not only that, cause the EGT's to run too hot (hotter than Ford intended) in many applications. Pumaspeed, Revo, whoosh, SourSkittle, Vargas, etc. have all had hybrid turbo failures in the EcoBoost world and outside of it (for those manufacturers who remanufacture turbos for other applications). Not only that, but increasing low end torque versus moving it into the mid-range increases chances for engine failure.

Again, all my opinion, but just another perspective to add food for thought. Please keep in mind my bias, as my first turbo upgrade was the Revo RT330 which turned out to be a complete dud with design flaws. From that process, I have learned a great deal from a number of manufacturers who have been building turbos for a long time.
Hi I own whoosh motorsports
Maybe there is something you know that I don't but with dozens of units sold since February there are no documented failures or warranty repairs with our hybrid turbo.
There is a customer Daryl that has posted a video on FB but has yet to return this unit to us for inspection. To say they have "failed" and lump our product into the list is a bit premature I think.
Knowing the nature of the product, how it's used, and that most won't follow our instructions of having a professional install the turbo, we do know there will be some failures. It's expected. We do however know the quality of the build and the components used in our turbo which are all brand new minus the compressor cover and turbine housing which are precision machined to accept the new larger proprietary wheels

thanks for your time [like]

OP
meekestboaster
Thread Starter #7
Hybrid.

You can’t afford unexpected expenses which have the higher potential to occur with a big turbo and big turbo power.

Get the hybrid and drive the wheels off it - spend the ‘extra’ money on tires.
$3k worth of mods on a known reliable platform until 400+hp is more than doable. it's not like i'm throwing aux fuel on asap, that would be a year from now, 2, who knows. 270whp pushing a hybrid, or 290-300 barely using the gtx. thats the question. 300 hp isn't killing anything on this car, thats been proven

just met cmart on sat. fellow Minnesotan with a stocker. took a quick spin in my x37 (cpe intercooler) 91 tune. nothing extreme. check with him on the difference a hybrid changes the car. boyracer

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi I own whoosh motorsports
Maybe there is something you know that I don't but with dozens of units sold since February there are no documented failures or warranty repairs with our hybrid turbo.
There is a customer Daryl that has posted a video on FB but has yet to return this unit to us for inspection. To say they have "failed" and lump our product into the list is a bit premature I think.
Knowing the nature of the product, how it's used, and that most won't follow our instructions of having a professional install the turbo, we do know there will be some failures. It's expected. We do however know the quality of the build and the components used in our turbo which are all brand new minus the compressor cover and turbine housing which are precision machined to accept the new larger proprietary wheels

thanks for your time [like]
Correct, my comments included whoosh motorsports because of Daryl's whoosh hybrid turbo failure. Whether a failure is "documented" by the manufacture is irrelevant. I define a failure as something that causes the end user to have to uninstall the turbo after installing it due to some issue related to the turbo, which has happened too many times to hybrid turbo customers immediately after installing it. And I do not think my comments were premature. The person who started this thread wants a turbo they can put on the car, and daily drive day in and day out (like me). From my experience and the extensive research I have done, my opinion is that the reliable choice should be a Garrett turbo, rather than a hybrid which have all had at least one failure (to my knowledge) in the Fiesta application.

I just want to be clear, I’m not attacking whoosh motorsports, just stating what I have seen among Fiesta ST enthusiasts with aftermarket turbos. The reliability is historical better with Garrett, and that should go into the consideration of the consumer looking to upgrade their daily driver. It is very possible that the whoosh hybrid will prove to be the most reliable hybrid, but time in the market is required for that determination to be made.

Last edited:

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Correct, my comments included whoosh motorsports because of Daryl's whoosh hybrid turbo failure. Whether a failure is "documented" by the manufacture is irrelevant. I define a failure as something that causes the end user to have to uninstall the turbo after installing it, which has happened too many times to hybrid turbo customers immediately after installing it. And I do not think my comments were premature. The person who started this thread wants a turbo they can put on the car, and daily drive day in and day out (like me). From my experience and the extensive research I have done, my opinion is that the reliable choice should be a Garrett turbo, rather than a hybrid which have all had at least one failure (to my knowledge) in the Fiesta application.
You’re naive to think Garrett won’t have failures.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You’re naive to think Garrett won’t have failures.
Of course there will be failures. But the difference between a .5% failure rate and 10% failure rate is huge.

I am talking about mitigating risk; there is no such thing as certainty in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Let me step up in this bitch....every turbo has its upsides and downsides. Some hybrids have had some problems and so have large Turbos. Ron@whoosh has a good thing going for him and that he is here stateside and can be reached by phone and No games of tag are played to reach him if there is an issue or an order that needs to be placed. But there are some hybrids out there that had there issues....to find out use the search button and read up. Now Big turbo ....yes it a more refined Business due to quality management taken seriously by Garrett....but they to have had failures...just not a lot. If you want to keep stock like spool with some more power band up top buy a Hybrid. If you want or think you will want to grow just go BT right away....I'm glad I have....as I had a GT2554r sitting in the box awaiting install....then a smoking deal came up for a Gen2 GTX2860R....I mean....who wouldn't bite on the deal I got....you'd be a fool if you didn't and you were in the Turbo market. So write your goals down....be honest and start compiling a list of parts to get you to accomplish your goal and go for it. If your in Mn....find me in June most likely with my Aux fuel installed....I'll let you roll my shitbox to show you what it's like to drive a BT with Aux. Fuel. In the End SET GOALS....GET PARTS.....INSTALL PARTS. To go nowhere follow the crowds....Try and be Different. It's what I live by....look at my forum life...my GIFs...you can tell what I'm like outside the forum by those. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Let me step up in this bitch....every turbo has its upsides and downsides. Some hybrids have had some problems and so have large Turbos. Ron@whoosh has a good thing going for him and that he is here stateside and can be reached by phone and No games of tag are played to reach him if there is an issue or an order that needs to be placed. But there are some hybrids out there that had there issues....to find out use the search button and read up. Now Big turbo ....yes it a more refined Business due to quality management taken seriously by Garrett....but they to have had failures...just not a lot. If you want to keep stock like spool with some more power band up top buy a Hybrid. If you want or think you will want to grow just go BT right away....I'm glad I have....as I had a GT2554r sitting in the box awaiting install....then a smoking deal came up for a Gen2 GTX2860R....I mean....who wouldn't bite on the deal I got....you'd be a fool if you didn't and you were in the Turbo market. So write your goals down....be honest and start compiling a list of parts to get you to accomplish your goal and go for it. If your in Mn....find me in June most likely with my Aux fuel installed....I'll let you roll my shitbox to show you what it's like to drive a BT with Aux. Fuel. In the End SET GOALS....GET PARTS.....INSTALL PARTS. To go nowhere follow the crowds....Try and be Different. It's what I live by....look at my forum life...my GIFs...you can tell what I'm like outside the forum by those. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Fuck are those gifs annoying.

OP
meekestboaster
Thread Starter #16
I mean I just wanted to hear people talk about their turbos, is that too much to ask for? [dunno][histerical]

Last edited by a moderator:
You want me to call up Garrett and be like 'so... I want to look smart on the internet... how many GTX turbos have failed?'

The fact that you would have to call Garrett to get that info, since there are no documented failures on this long running forum, illustrate just how spot on JDG’s assessment is. I wouldn’t worry about calling though, it’s gonna take more than that to make you look smart man.

Last edited by a moderator:

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
The fact that you would have to call Garrett to get that info, since there are no documented failures on this long running forum, illustrate just how spot on JDG’s assessment is. I wouldn’t worry about calling though, it’s gonna take more than that to make you look smart man.
Super glad that everyone who purchased every item lists it on a forum! Soooo easy to keep track of every product every manufacturer has ever sold!

Have fun with your car - I hope it's as reliable as Typhoon's gif's.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Super glad that everyone who purchased every item lists it on a forum! Soooo easy to keep track of every product every manufacturer has ever sold!

Have fun with your car - I hope it's as reliable as Typhoon's gif's.
Have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I ended up getting the GTX2860r for kind of an overkill reason. As in, if I wanted more power once factory fuel system is maxed out, I can easily do so with aux fuel. Its like what you said. You'll be pushing the hybrid turbo itself when trying to get ~300whp and even more so when trying to get more once you go aux fuel. Yet if you go big turbo, the turbo won't even be breaking a sweat even at 350whp since the GTX2860r is rated for 450+. Obviously if you push over 400+whp you'll have engine problems eventually but the turbo will be fine.

I went big turbo because if I wanted more power I could easily achieve it without worrying about stressing the turbo and going stupid high octane like 100 octane or something. I don't mine going with ethanol E50 though.