Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2014 fiesta St

I recently bought my fiesta ST. It is my first manual car. I was driving it in 5th gear and accidently down shifted it into 2nd gear, now my car wont move in any gear trans mission only have 40,000 mile on it. What could it be that i broke?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Will the car roll? (Will it move under the influence of gravity, I understand that it won’t move under its own power)

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does the engine run?
It could be the clutch or it could be something inside the transmission has broken

OP
towwill 3276
Thread Starter #5
we did flat tow the car. While towing it at around 20 mph i could hear what sounded like the clutch scraping, once we got above 20 mph the noise went away.

OP
towwill 3276
Thread Starter #6
yes engine runs just fine. clutch pedal move nice and smooth and with good resistance just like it had before the problem started.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
How fast were you going when this happened?
Im not sure how to know if your issue is just the clutch or something else inside the transmission, either way, you (or a shop) is going to have to pull it out.

30mph? You sure? 30 mph shouldn't have caused any damage, That's well within the range of 2nd gear and a bit low to be in 5th. Your clutch may have been on the way out and being your 1st manual car you may have been driving improperly. Excessive slipping, starting in 3rd, riding the clutch etc.

OP
towwill 3276
Thread Starter #10
30mph? You sure? 30 mph shouldn't have caused any damage, That's well within the range of 2nd gear and a bit low to be in 5th. Your clutch may have been on the way out and being your 1st manual car you may have been driving improperly. Excessive slipping, starting in 3rd, riding the clutch etc.

I may have been going faster than that but i am not sure as i wasnt really looking at the speed i was going just trying to learn how to shift

If you were going over 60 then that may cause a problem if you let the clutch all the way out. Again you may have roasted the clutch. You have to put in effort to get it into 2nd at those speeds.

OP
towwill 3276
Thread Starter #17
Ok I’m back at this again after replacing the axle shaft, it will not drive still. We move it in reverse for like 20 feet now it won’t move. Any ideas?

If you created enough torque shear to snap a half shaft you were going a lot faster than 30 mph and you have probably totaled the transmission. I would suggest that you draing the oil out of your transmission and see if any metal debris come out. If it's perfectly clean you may have got lucky, if it's full on chunks you'll need to check junkyards for a usable ST Transmission. BTW, Mountune does sell these transaxles but they aren't cheap, IIRC about 4400 bucks.