Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2015 and 2016 ST BOTH major failures before 7,500K miles?! Really???

So, am I just super unlucky or do other folks have issues with their ST's as well? I love the cars, but I had a Black 2015 that at 6,700 miles (they think) the alternator seized up while I was on the highway going 70mph. Just all-of-a-sudden black smoke rolled out from under the hood and behind the car and every dash light immaginable came on and the engine basically instantly overheated and died. This all happened in like a blink of an eye. I had seen no issues and the car was running fine that day. I spent 3 hours on the side of the road waiting for a tow and then it was in the shop for 2 weeks while they replaced a bunch of engine parts and all the belts, etc. then pronounced it "good as new". Unfortunately, it never ran as good as new again so I traded it in a couple months later for a White 2016 with more options and the black wheels.

That brings us to today. My white 2016 has 7,200 miles on it and I left work today and was just accelerating to highway speed and shifted out of 3rd gear and into 4th. The RPM's redlined and the car slowed down. I at first thought I mis-shifted somehow into 2nd gear instead of 4th so I tried again and the shifter went dead in my hand. It was like the shifter wasn't attached to anything in the transmission. I could thump the shifter with my finger (with the clutch depressed or not) and it would just flop around. SO...? Shifter linkage? slave cylinder? I have no freakin' clue but again I sat on the side of the road for 3 hours waiting for a tow truck.

WORST part of the whole experience was a red Fiesta ST was driving right beside the tow truck I was riding in with my ST up on the bed of the truck... Completely humiliating...

So, my ST might not be coming home. I might be getting something else after this.

Has anyone else had either of these two issues?!!

Sorry to hear that! I have a 2016 for a year now. I just passed 7500, with no issue. Good luck!

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Sounds like the shift linkage popped off. Should be an easy fix.

2014 with 33k on it and no issues. 2015 with 32k on it no issues and my 2016 has 4k on it with no issues. You may just have bad luck.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I had a 2014 ST media car for 6 months that was run very hard, harder than I have ever ran a car before. Autocrosses, track events, off road, road trips, and general hooning around. I think my brother and I logged around 16,000 miles in those 6 months and the only thing it needed was tires and MFT reset. With my 2015, it is modified, sees some hooning and autocrosses, and has had zero issues in the 30,000 miles I have put on the car.

Just bad luck, mate. Don't let it sour you on the car, unless they can't fix whatever happened this time (seems unlikely).

J2FoRS

I avoided a major collison on our highway going 120km/h swerved to squeeze between two sideways cars that had just had collision in front of me. JUST squeeked through, lost control and ended up facing backwards now in the right lane, head on with a pick up slamming its brakes to try not to hit me. I threw it in reverse and POUNDED the throttle with the rev limiter bouncing and POOOOF. Shift linkage popped off. BUT, I was not squashed. So meh. Same as you, could thumb it around etc. 20 mins at Ford and all was good except my panties.

Oh and for whats its worth, I'm on my 3rd alternator in my 2014. One died, one seized. 22k KM and 30k KM IIRC.

jayrod1980

2016 here... 27,000 miles... sometimes I hear a clunk when I back it out of the garage after its sat most of the weekend, other than that no issues. Front clip doesn't sit as tight between the hood and the bumper anymore with the DHM intercooler, but thankfully no terrible issues. I have a short shift kit too.

haste

1000 Post Club
46.5k miles on my '15 and it has had an X37 on it for 12k miles and has had two hard weekends at VIR(stock turbo). It definitely rattles but I chalk that up to the CP-E roll restrictor. Rear brakes are due for a change but other than that, normal maintenance.