Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ABS and Traction Control

Is their a TUNE that can disable the ABS without effecting the Traction Control and
Sport mode.
Thanks for the Help.
2015 Fiesta ST

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I am not sure but I don't think so, why would want to?
ABS is only a safety system.

I agree, I don't think there is. it would be a liability issue for whomever did it.
On top of that if your insurance ever found out they would not cover you.

Sam4

I'm going to prove my mechanical ignorance by suggesting that the two systems are actually one - ABS and traction control. The TC is controlled by the computer activating the ABS. Unless you're Baby Driver....

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I'm going to prove my mechanical ignorance by suggesting that the two systems are actually one - ABS and traction control. The TC is controlled by the computer activating the ABS. Unless you're Baby Driver....
No need to prove that, you are correct it is how the ESC and ABS do work.
However, the two systems use different sensors to control the brakes in different ways.

Although I learned to drive/race cars before either systems existed.
I do keep my ESC turned off, I do prefer to keep the ABS working.

On a closed course/race track where the road surface is usually very well maintained, I would consider turning off the ABS.
However, on the public roads where in most places the road surfaces are crap, I am happy to leave the ABS on.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Only if your a novice Driver
This I can agree with.

However my question is still valid.
Why would you want to turn off the ABS?

If it is good for an inexperienced/novice driver that needs it for added safety, leave it on.
An experienced/skilled driver should be able to properly control the braking so the ABS should not even activate.

So again, why turn it off in the first place.

[MENTION=4176]nickstewartroc[/MENTION], Removing the ABS fuse, will shut down the ABS, ESC, EBD, Traction Control, Enhanced Torque Vectoring, and Hill Start Assist.

This is from the service manual to prove that all these systems are tied together.

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control - Overview

The ABS and stability control systems are comprised of the following subsystems which assist the driver in maintaining control of the vehicle:

ABS
EBD
Traction control
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Hill start assist

The ABS helps maintain steering control by preventing the wheels from locking up during hard braking. The ABS also includes a brake assist function that provides maximum brake system pressure during a severe braking event.

The EBD system helps maintain vehicle control by keeping a balanced braking condition between the front and rear wheels.

The traction control system helps prevent loss of traction by reducing drive wheel spin during acceleration.

The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system helps prevent skids or lateral slides by modulating brake fluid to the brake calipers and reducing engine torque.

The hill start assist system is designed to assist the driver during hill starts. Using the ABS , the hill start assist system holds the vehicle on an incline for a short time, allowing the driver to release the brake pedal and press the accelerator pedal without using the parking brake.

Some noise from the system and pulsations in the brake pedal are normal conditions during most ABS and stability control events. Longer than normal brake pedal travel may be experienced immediately following an ABS or stability control activation.