Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016+ Struts on 2015- Car?

I read a lot here that it can be done, and that the 2016+ struts are softer.

Curious if it is just a direct swap (ie buy struts for 2016+ car and swap the springs/mount/boot/damper/etc), or if you needed to do anything else (ie sway bar links/sway bar/etc).

I need to replace the struts on my 2015, so I'm debating which part number to ask Ford for.

Thanks!

the duke

The struts are the same bodies and mounts, the internal valving is different to match the slightly reduced 2016 springs/torsion beam (ST200 suspension).

It's also not much, they should be considered fully interchangeable. I'd suggest going aftermarket.

OP
MetalMatty
Thread Starter #3
The struts are the same bodies and mounts, the internal valving is different to match the slightly reduced 2016 springs/torsion beam (ST200 suspension).

It's also not much, they should be considered fully interchangeable. I'd suggest going aftermarket.
I'd like to go aftermarket, but good aftermarket (Bilstein lol) are so freaking expensive. My car is a daily driver with occasional autocross and the OEM ones are quite nice I feel.

Is there another aftermarket beside Bilstein that are good, and roughly the same price as OEM?

the duke

All 4 Bilsteins can be had for 500 shipped. This feels like the spending dollars to save Pennie’s analogy. A good set of shocks will help this car, the Bilsteins are a quality low cost option.

OP
MetalMatty
Thread Starter #5
All 4 Bilsteins can be had for 500 shipped. This feels like the spending dollars to save Pennie’s analogy. A good set of shocks will help this car, the Bilsteins are a quality low cost option.
OEM is $225, for the front. And that is including new boots and coil base rubbers and such. Rear are around $140.

I don't know if I would call that difference pennies, but it certainly isn't huge. OEM buggers lasted 8 years and 67k hard miles, so they can't be TOO bad, :p.

Thanks for your advice. I'll weigh some options and decide what to do, :).

the duke

I’m confused. Bilsteins are cheaper. You can reuse old hardware. Or buy new like I did.
You’re comparing a fully built shocks and coil assembly to a single damper.

OP
MetalMatty
Thread Starter #7
I’m confused. Bilsteins are cheaper. You can reuse old hardware. Or buy new like I did.
You’re comparing a fully built shocks and coil assembly to a single damper.
Bilstein aren't cheaper, in my case. I work at a dealer chain, OEM struts for me are around $90-95 each for the front. At list price it does make more sense to go with Bilsteins.

But at the price I would pay for them, it is a pretty decent price difference. I guess I could have added that in the last post, it is second nature for me to pay much less than list now that I don't even look at it.

As far as hardware, I already have new strut mounts when I did my lowering springs but like a cheap dummy I didn't buy new boots, so I would need new boots, and I'd replace the rubber half circle the spring sits on. So basically at this point the only part I would reuse is the strut dampers, lol.

I'd be less than $250 for the fronts including the struts, boots, spring seat, and strut bolts & nuts. The rear would be around $220 including mounts and hardware.

It's $600 after shipping for JUST the Bilstein struts/shocks from Whoosh. That is without the rear mounts, and without the replacement rubber and hardware.

It's not a huuuuge difference, but enough that as a daily driver it deserves thought.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I'd also point out that Bilsteins are NOT a "fully built shocks and coil assembly". They are just the strut or shock unless you get the B14 kit, which is far more than $500.

OP
MetalMatty
Thread Starter #9
I'd also point out that Bilsteins are NOT a "fully built shocks and coil assembly". They are just the strut or shock unless you get the B14 kit, which is far more than $500.
Yea, that confused me, but I was at work and thought I just misunderstood so I didn't ask about it.

I assumed he meant that I was talking a fully assembled vs the Bilstein which isn't assembled.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Bilsteins will also most likely last longer than the stockers without leaking/blowing out, if one plans on holding onto their FiST long term.

So all of that coin is saved in the long run anyway, especially if one has to pay for the labor, and cannot DIY for whatever reasons.