Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reading the oil dipstick.

So I've done two oil changes so far and both times I have a b!tch of a time reading that damn dipstick! I've been doing my oil changes for 26 years now so I know how to read one. Do any of you guys have the same issue? It seems as though when I take it out, extra oil gets on there or something like that. This is my first Ford in YEARS that I am doing the oil changes myself...my previous Fords were leases so I took them to the dealer.

Spork1569

I know a lot of people with the older version of the dipstick like to upgrade. I have the 2016 dip stick and it's pretty easy to read.

I've seen pictures of the the 2014 version and it definitely looks like a doozy to try and decipher.

Changing it out is an easy solution if you don't mind spending a few bucks.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
So I've done two oil changes so far and both times I have a b!tch of a time reading that damn dipstick! I've been doing my oil changes for 26 years now so I know how to read one. Do any of you guys have the same issue? It seems as though when I take it out, extra oil gets on there or something like that. This is my first Ford in YEARS that I am doing the oil changes myself...my previous Fords were leases so I took them to the dealer.
I have the same issue. Is there a reason we can't have a good, old-fashioned blade? Maybe Ron will make one for us [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
ILL take picture of my old stick if you want from my 15'....that is a real treat to have read!

OP
Turtle
Thread Starter #8
MY is 2018, so I guess I have the "new" dipstick...the older ST's had worse dipsticks?
I bought the gallon oil jug so I used a paint measuring cup to measure out 4.2 quarts but on the dipstick, it doesn't seem to be in the "min to max" area. [xx(]

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Spray a little brake cleaner onto a clean rag and clean the end of the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and pull it back out to read the oil level. Cleaning the oil from the end of the dipstick keeps surface tension from letting the oil climb up, making it difficult to read.

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Spray a little brake cleaner onto a clean rag and clean the end of the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and pull it back out the read the oil level. Cleaning the oil from the end of the dipstick keeps surface tension from letting the oil climb up, making it difficult to read.
Brilliant. I will have to try that trick.

OP
Turtle
Thread Starter #12
Spray a little brake cleaner onto a clean rag and clean the end of the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and pull it back out the read the oil level. Cleaning the oil from the end of the dipstick keeps surface tension from letting the oil climb up, making it difficult to read.
Is that different than actually wiping the end of the dipstick with a dry clean rag?