Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2018 Fiesta blowing hot air from AC at WoT

RedDevilS197

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hello all, new member here and new Fiesta owner. I just got a 2018 Hatchback with only 25,000 miles on it from Carvana. After only driving the car for around 100 miles I noticed when I got WoT to get on the highway the AC will go from ice cold to the hottest setting like it’s on the heater. Is this normal? I’ve owned around 15 cars in my life and multiple Fords (Mustangs) and have never seen this before.

OP
R

RedDevilS197

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #3
This is normal and should be on most cars.
When you request WOT the PCM shuts down the AC to give as much power as it can.
Thank you so much for the reply. This is why I wanted to make this post. This is the newest car I have owned and just want to see if this was normal or not.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My last new car (a 2000, LS1 Z28) did this same exact thing, by design.

It shut down the compressor on WOT despite having 350 lb. ft. of torque, and 325 ponies to the wheels on tap.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
They beat me to it. My guess is that it bases compressor operation on engine load calculations, rather than specifically, WOT a.k.a. "flooring" the accelerator. Try letting the engine RPMs get a bit higher before digging into the accelerator. Depending on ambient conditions, it shouldn't go instant hot. I mean, humidity would be pretty quick but air temp much less so.

OP
R

RedDevilS197

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #7
They beat me to it. My guess is that it bases compressor operation on engine load calculations, rather than specifically, WOT a.k.a. "flooring" the accelerator. Try letting the engine RPMs get a bit higher before digging into the accelerator. Depending on ambient conditions, it shouldn't go instant hot. I mean, humidity would be pretty quick but air temp much less so.
I live in New Mexico where the temperature just got into the mid 90’s.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Normal. It's going to get hot quick if he's not recirculating the air in the cabin, so he'll get the fresh hot outside air. Recommend switching to recirc if you expect to WOT.