Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2019 with p0299 underboost

So to start off with I bought a low milage used 2019 fiesta st from a dealership back in December. 26k miles to be exact. Car had upgraded intercooler, exhaust, rear motor mount and air intake. As well as a few cosmetic mods done.
About 2k miles later a check engine light, code p0299 turned on for low boost. I cleared the code with my scanner tool but it still gave me a "permanent" code that would not show on the dash. Anyways, I took it to the dealership (at this point there was no check engine light on) but I had told them it had a "permanent" code. The technician somehow cleared that "permanent" code and test drove the car for a good 10 miles and said all was good and that the car was running perfectly fine.
Took the car home and all was good until the check engine light came on again. A few hundred miles later.
To be honest I rather not deal with the dealership and just do my own work myself unless I really have to take it in.
I lifted the car and checked all connections and fittings.
I still hear the turbo spool up perfectly fine but noticed the intercooler piping itself was still stock. Stock and super squishy. If the intercooler is pulling in air, and the piping collapse on itself, would that be enough for a CEL to come up?
The Service adviser told me the light might have came on because the car has upgraded mods with no tune.. and that may cause a CEL? Something about a lot more air coming in and the ecu not knowing what to do with the extra air.. seemed plausible to me but not sure.
Any help would be appreciated.
If I need to buy an accesport to tune the car I'll be doing that. Just want to get peoples opinions first. Thanks

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So to start off with I bought a low milage used 2019 fiesta st from a dealership back in December. 26k miles to be exact. Car had upgraded intercooler, exhaust, rear motor mount and air intake. As well as a few cosmetic mods done.
About 2k miles later a check engine light, code p0299 turned on for low boost. I cleared the code with my scanner tool but it still gave me a "permanent" code that would not show on the dash. Anyways, I took it to the dealership (at this point there was no check engine light on) but I had told them it had a "permanent" code. The technician somehow cleared that "permanent" code and test drove the car for a good 10 miles and said all was good and that the car was running perfectly fine.
Took the car home and all was good until the check engine light came on again. A few hundred miles later.
To be honest I rather not deal with the dealership and just do my own work myself unless I really have to take it in.
I lifted the car and checked all connections and fittings.
I still hear the turbo spool up perfectly fine but noticed the intercooler piping itself was still stock. Stock and super squishy. If the intercooler is pulling in air, and the piping collapse on itself, would that be enough for a CEL to come up?
The Service adviser told me the light might have came on because the car has upgraded mods with no tune.. and that may cause a CEL? Something about a lot more air coming in and the ecu not knowing what to do with the extra air.. seemed plausible to me but not sure.
Any help would be appreciated.
If I need to buy an accesport to tune the car I'll be doing that. Just want to get peoples opinions first. Thanks
Permanent codes do not clear as quickly and clearly the tech at Ford is an idiot for not knowing that. Usually it takes driving the car for 50 miles or so. It also sometimes takes a number of cold starts with warmups. I had a car with permanent codes and after fixing the original issue it took about 5-10 cold starts to warmup and driving it for it to go away.

Also what are the mods on the car? seriously upgraded mods making the car not recognize more air Service advisor sounds like a moron as well. If you had upgrade mods that required a tune the car would run like shit on a stock tune .

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
Permanent codes do not clear as quickly and clearly the tech at Ford is an idiot for not knowing that. Usually it takes driving the car for 50 miles or so. It also sometimes takes a number of cold starts with warmups. I had a car with permanent codes and after fixing the original issue it took about 5-10 cold starts to warmup and driving it for it to go away.

Also what are the mods on the car? seriously upgraded mods making the car not recognize more air Service advisor sounds like a moron as well. If you had upgrade mods that required a tune the car would run like shit on a stock tune .
The thing is, when i took the car that morning it still had the permanent code. After picking it up about 4 hrs later and using my own scanner, the code was gone. I figured ford had a fancy scanner that could remove it.
Anyways.. the car has a woosh intercooler
Cobb cold air intake
Mbrp exhaust
Woosh rear motor mount.
And an aftermarket bov

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The thing is, when i took the car that morning it still had the permanent code. After picking it up about 4 hrs later and using my own scanner, the code was gone. I figured ford had a fancy scanner that could remove it.
Anyways.. the car has a woosh intercooler
Cobb cold air intake
Mbrp exhaust
Woosh rear motor mount.
And an aftermarket bov
ok here’s the deal if you had a boost leak you would not be getting power. with the mods you have I would be looking at your wastegate , the bov or the turbo itself how many miles are on the car? bellow are common reasons in the case of supercharger orr turbo. you should check vacuum lines going to the wastegate , check your hoses on the intake check hoses to the BOV , check to see your maf is ok. We technically cannot diagnose your car without A knowing and B being there. We can only make suggestions to possible causes . Thing is your car is relatively stock so the Ford dealer pretty much copped out on you possibly because they saw mods and are not a Performance Ford dealer aka one who does work on motorsports cars and whatnot. For instance Galpin Ford is a motorsports dealer they will work on my car without blinking an eye about the mods. I say if you cannot do this yourself find an independent shop that can. None of it is hard it’s just kind of annoying elimination of possibilities.
Though was the permanent code the same code. Thats another unanswered question.
  • Air leak between the supercharger and throttle
  • The wastegate control hose is open or stuck
  • Low fuel pressure
  • Low oil pressure
  • Faulty boost pressure sensor
  • Faulty injector control pressure sensor

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
ok here’s the deal if you had a boost leak you would not be getting power. with the mods you have I would be looking at your wastegate , the bov or the turbo itself how many miles are on the car? bellow are common reasons in the case of supercharger orr turbo. you should check vacuum lines going to the wastegate , check your hoses on the intake check hoses to the BOV , check to see your maf is ok. We technically cannot diagnose your car without A knowing and B being there. We can only make suggestions to possible causes . Thing is your car is relatively stock so the Ford dealer pretty much copped out on you possibly because they saw mods and are not a Performance Ford dealer aka one who does work on motorsports cars and whatnot. For instance Galpin Ford is a motorsports dealer they will work on my car without blinking an eye about the mods. I say if you cannot do this yourself find an independent shop that can. None of it is hard it’s just kind of annoying elimination of possibilities.
Though was the permanent code the same code. Thats another unanswered question.
  • Air leak between the supercharger and throttle
  • The wastegate control hose is open or stuck
  • Low fuel pressure
  • Low oil pressure
  • Faulty boost pressure sensor
  • Faulty injector control pressure sensor
I'll have to check out all the lines and the above components this upcoming weekend.
The car currently has about 30k miles on the odometer and it's my daily. Coming up on the oil change as well.
Also, Yes, the permanent code was the same code, p0299. First time my check engine light came on I used my scanner and got THREE p0299 codes. One of them said "permanent" the other 2 codes cleared, leaving the third up until the dealer cleared that one and said all was fine.