Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clit_Beastwood View Post
    Only 15k miles. I am essentially one-handed though, so most things take me 10x as long.
    Assuming you don't have modifications that would disqualify you, take it to the dealer to get their thoughts on the noise. That's pretty low miles for a CV to go..
    **Ask me about purchasing an Automatic Traction Control Off or Sport Mode On Module (Plug and Play)
    https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Plug-and-Play)

2016 Ford Fiesta ST - White Platinum / Recaros, Tuned by Stratified
    - Garrett GTX2860R Gen II Turbo, AET VUDU Ported Exhaust Manifold (41mm), Ported Turbo V-Band Adapter (41mm), Whoosh 3" Catted Downpipe, CP-E FMIC, Velossa Tech Big Mouth Snorkel, CP-E Intake, CP-E Cold Side Charge Pipe w/ Turbosmart BPV, and Cobb AccessPort (Stratified E30 & 93 Custom Tune)
    - CP-E RMM, SkidPlateGuy Front Skid, NoPistons Evap Skid, Pierce Motorsports Midship Brace
    - 185/65R15 Maxsport RB3 Gravel Tires for Rallycross
    - 225/45R16 Dunlop Direzza Z3 for Autocross
    - 205/50R16 General G-Max AS-05 for Daily Driving
    - 175/65R15 Michelin X-ICE XI3 for Winter Driving

Member 168 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't forget to close up the box after you open it to look at those pads they[ebc red] stink. and if you do the rears don't forget to screw in the parking brake puck counter clock wise R/S and clock wise L/S. I removed the backing plates so i could view the rotors. all they do is stop the view and retain the heat, i see no ice ever, not that i'm fast enough to make a difference.

Member 352 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by dmb View Post
    don't forget to close up the box after you open it to look at those pads they[ebc red] stink. and if you do the rears don't forget to screw in the parking brake puck counter clock wise R/S and clock wise L/S. I removed the backing plates so i could view the rotors. all they do is stop the view and retain the heat, i see no ice ever, not that i'm fast enough to make a difference.
    i am fighting the urge to go smell the brakepads now :P

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    It sounds like maybe a CV joint failing in the axle. I may be having a similar problem but it presents itself during right turns.
    Think you might be right. I went into a big open parking lot and did full-lock 360 turns. There's a substantial popping that I can feel through the wheel in exactly the same part of a full-lock left turn, doesn't happen on a full lock right turn.
    Last edited by Clit_Beastwood; 04-12-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: unfortunate typo ;P

Member #
    Medals
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think you might be right. I went into a big open parking lot and did full-lock 360 turns. There's a substantial popping that I can feel through the wheel in exactly the same part of a full-lock left turn, doesn't happen on a full lock right turn.
    Yeah this is exactly what mine is doing. It is not quite a "pop" yet just a bit of a rattle noise. It isn't really bad yet and since my plan is to replace both axles anyway when I install my LSD, I am going to wait until they get worse. I am just surprised yours are gone at such low mileage. Can you see any rip in the boots or grease slung up around the axles?
    **Ask me about purchasing an Automatic Traction Control Off or Sport Mode On Module (Plug and Play)

- Garrett GTX2860R Gen II Turbo, AET VUDU Ported Exhaust Manifold (41mm), Ported Turbo V-Band Adapter (41mm), Whoosh 3" Catted Downpipe, CP-E FMIC, Velossa Tech Big Mouth Snorkel, CP-E Intake, CP-E Cold Side Charge Pipe w/ Turbosmart BPV, and Cobb AccessPort (Stratified E30 & 93 Custom Tune)
    - CP-E RMM, SkidPlateGuy Front Skid, NoPistons Evap Skid, Pierce Motorsports Midship Brace

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Yeah this is exactly what mine is doing. It is not quite a "pop" yet just a bit of a rattle noise. It isn't really bad yet and since my plan is to replace both axles anyway when I install my LSD, I am going to wait until they get worse. I am just surprised yours are gone at such low mileage. Can you see any rip in the boots or grease slung up around the axles?
    No external indication. I have had an RMM on for ~10k miles, and I started noticing this noise around the time I installed my first RMM. I originally chalked it up as a normal noise from the car I just had never noticed, but as its grown louder it has concerned me more. I removed my RMM and it got much quieter, but it's still there. Only when hot though, which I thought was weird.

Member #
    Medals
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No external indication. I have had an RMM on for ~10k miles, and I started noticing this noise around the time I installed my first RMM. I originally chalked it up as a normal noise from the car I just had never noticed, but as its grown louder it has concerned me more. I removed my RMM and it got much quieter, but it's still there. Only when hot though, which I thought was weird.
    Have you inspected you driver and passenger engine mounts? I wonder if one of those have failed?

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmb View Post
    ... and if you do the rears don't forget to screw in the parking brake puck counter clock wise R/S and clock wise L/S. ...
    Bit of a thread jack but for both my rears it is clock wise. I think both calipers are identical.

Member 168 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that how you did it? my bad,

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Have you inspected you driver and passenger engine mounts? I wonder if one of those have failed?
    Driver's side looked ok, the passenger one makes a squeaky sound if I move the engine with my hand and in the morning when it's cold. Now that I have the exact criteria required to replicate the issue I can take it to the dealership and provide them an exact "do exactly this to replicate the grinding". I find dealerships are less error-prone when I provide such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12