Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Options for better exhaust sound?

I find the exhaust sound of my ST to being underwhelming, to say the least. I've read a ton of exhaust threads and it seems like a clear favorite is the Cobb cat back system, but that seems like a pretty steep price to pay to make the car sound better.

Is it not possible to just replace the muffler with something that flows well and does not dampen the sound as much?

Business6

It's certainly possible to replace just the muffler, delete it or the resonator. There are plenty of videos showing those off

For example
[video=youtube;qNygLtSPIak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNygLtSPIak[/video]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF I had to pick one right now (and if it were available back when I got the CP-E system), I would go with the Thermal.

2nd choice would probably be one of the Milltek systems (and first choice for an UNDER 3" diameter system). [wink]

slopoke

I've got the Cobb, nice non obnoxious sound, with no droning. It was a little louder with the hybrid, not by much. Since I've gone to a 2860r, it's a little more louder, but then again, not by much.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Particularly in warmer weather, windows down, I actually love how quiet it can be with the Symposer plugged (disabled).

It's funny when one car keeps up with another making 1/4 and less of the noise.

Couldn't tell you what they have, and it's extremely rare that I hear them, but there are some Mustangs that have a 'metallicy' throaty bassy exhaust sound. Can't seem to find an audio clip of one. Closest thing I can find is the dark blue one here... https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...0964B854DB8BA47581CF0964B854DB8B&&FORM=VRDGAR ...maybe one of you all will have an idea of what I'm referring to. But that's going to sound way too mean for such a low HP vehicle. Loud exhausts eventually get old... and around if you want a loud exhaust, just wait several years... less than a couple of years if any part of your exhaust is aftermarket already.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
you could do a varex muffler, you can push a button and it goes from stock quiet to free flowing at the press of a button.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I love my Thermal its quite when you want i.e. just a bit louder than stock and then sounds great when you are on throttle.
Has a low deep idle tone that suggests power without being in ones face. If you want more sound than this than intake and crossover pipe will give you more as well.
I have a ST200 Airbox with Revo drop in filter and Whoosh crossover pipe and it definitely added some to the symphony. I also could hear my stock diverter valve letting off after install of these two items.

I find the exhaust sound of my ST to being underwhelming, to say the least. I've read a ton of exhaust threads and it seems like a clear favorite is the Cobb cat back system, but that seems like a pretty steep price to pay to make the car sound better.

Is it not possible to just replace the muffler with something that flows well and does not dampen the sound as much?
As someone already said you can certainly start replacing parts and see where you end up, it might wind up costing as much as a full exhaust depending on how deep you get with labor and what not depending on your own capabilities and resources. I personally have a Whoosh catted downpipe and a MAP Exhaust and I think it sounds awesome, little drone but nothing crazy, everything fit perfect once the slip joints were adjusted, there's a bunch of videos on youtube etc that you can watch to get an idea of what different things will do. Check some of them out and see what you come up with.