Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6-liter Ti-VCT vs Ecoboost

Chainer

Hello all, just recently purchased an 2019 ST-Line automatic and am considering trading it back in for the ST manual. Id keep the ST-Line as I really prefer the automatic select shift (tired of driving stick in seattle traffic on hills) as long as I can slap a turbo on it just the same later down the line.

I haven't really been able to find any specific information on the EcoBoosts engine build, if thats even whats in the 2019 ST they had lined up next to it.

As far as I can tell from Ford.com the ST-Line and ST both feature a 1.6-liter Ti-VCT just the ST has a turbo on it. Is this the EcoBoost motor? Is there any difference in block/head material? Piston head material? etc.

Or can I put a turbo kit on my automatic and get close to the same performance?

Thanks in advance

Hello all, just recently purchased an 2019 ST-Line automatic and am considering trading it back in for the ST manual. Id keep the ST-Line as I really prefer the automatic select shift (tired of driving stick in seattle traffic on hills) as long as I can slap a turbo on it just the same later down the line.

I haven't really been able to find any specific information on the EcoBoosts engine build, if thats even whats in the 2019 ST they had lined up next to it.

As far as I can tell from Ford.com the ST-Line and ST both feature a 1.6-liter Ti-VCT just the ST has a turbo on it. Is this the EcoBoost motor? Is there any difference in block/head material? Piston head material? etc.

Thanks in advance
Not 100% sure but I would say yes there are differences, but that being said... you can turbo anything just means the peak power will be different.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account

Thanks in advance
The ST engine and tranny are specifically built to handle the extra power of the turbo. The stock 1.6 is not. I'd just get an ST and shift it, rather than risk damage to a power train that isn't built to take the stress of a turbo. I think you'd be asking for trouble.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OP made 2 posts, I replied to the other saying the same things:

Different 1.6L, from what I understand, you would have to research turbo kits made for a base Fiesta and doubt it would be very easy or cheap. You will also want the actual ST suspension too, I'd trade it back for a real ST if you can if you are on here and considering an ST. There is less than $2k difference from what I've seen... Also that automatic can't handle much over 180HP, and certainly wouldn't handle the torque that a small turbo puts out.

Also, the ST does have a very effective hill hold feature. I'd really try to get the real ST if you can.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Also, the ST does have a very effective hill hold feature. I'd really try to get the real ST if you can.
I never had a car with a hill holder before. You can disable it if you want, but now that I'm used to it, I just keep it on. It's real convenient.

OP
C

Chainer

Thread Starter #7
Think I'll make the trade then. While honestly the color scheme(hot pepper red with black and black rims) on the ST-Line looks a lot better to me the only thing that really sold me on it was the automatic transmission. I was driving a 93 celica GT that was admittedly pretty run down and I was just burnt out on driving a clutch on seattle hills w/ traffic, as well as snowy weather. A hill hold feature would be exactly what Id need to feel more comfortable about driving the clutch in those situations. Otherwise I like driving clutch and the control it gives me.

Its really a shame they didn't make an ST automatic. Would have been too perfect.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Its really a shame they didn't make an ST automatic. Would have been too perfect.
[xx(]

Man...……..in my humble opinion, being a car enthusiast that's owned and driven many 'special' cars like the ST, part of what makes it what it is is the transmission. Put an auto in there, and aside from other mechanical/compatibility issues mentioned already in this thread, you kill the soul of the ST. It's for this reason that the ST only comes with the MT, and other enthusiast cars are the same. It all comes together to produce the connection between driver and road - the suspension, the motor, the steering rack, the transmission. The ST without the 6 speed is like having a pizza without cheese.

I'd recommend you getting a GTI or some other hot hatch that comes with an auto tranny or CVT option.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
[xx(]

Man...……..in my humble opinion, being a car enthusiast that's owned and driven many 'special' cars like the ST, part of what makes it what it is is the transmission. Put an auto in there, and aside from other mechanical/compatibility issues mentioned already in this thread, you kill the soul of the ST. It's for this reason that the ST only comes with the MT, and other enthusiast cars are the same. It all comes together to produce the connection between driver and road - the suspension, the motor, the steering rack, the transmission. The ST without the 6 speed is like having a pizza without cheese.

I'd recommend you getting a GTI or some other hot hatch that comes with an auto tranny or CVT option.
Agreed.... for very small cars I couldn't even imagine owning an AT. Now for any bigger at all, if there is well-done DCT without a 3 second delay in manual shifting mode, then that could probably work. But for very small cars a good shifting manual is the only way to go. I can't even really rev match very well at all, but still, the stick in ours is pretty well done, with just a regular little short shift plate tightening up the throws just enough back to normal to be perfect.

Salt

The ST line is a bit confusing as I also didnt understand the nomenclature for the engine. The salesman lied and said they both had the same engine.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The ST line is a bit confusing as I also didnt understand the nomenclature for the engine. The salesman lied and said they both had the same engine.
Lol ya In they are both a 1.6 liter 4 cylinder lol. Never listen to a salesman most do not know what they sell. Only the really good ones keep themselves schooled on the product they are pitching and even then some are just running off memorized spec sheets.
Always know the product you want going in, i.e. do the research ahead of time . Knowledge is your weapon in negotiations Most are not prepared for knowledgable customers it throws them off which gives you the upper hand.