Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Thread: 1.6-liter Ti-VCT vs Ecoboost
17 Likes

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.6-liter Ti-VCT vs Ecoboost

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all, just recently purchased an 2019 ST-Line automatic and am considering trading it back in for the ST manual. Id keep the ST-Line as I really prefer the automatic select shift (tired of driving stick in seattle traffic on hills) as long as I can slap a turbo on it just the same later down the line.

I haven't really been able to find any specific information on the EcoBoosts engine build, if thats even whats in the 2019 ST they had lined up next to it.

As far as I can tell from Ford.com the ST-Line and ST both feature a 1.6-liter Ti-VCT just the ST has a turbo on it. Is this the EcoBoost motor? Is there any difference in block/head material? Piston head material? etc.

Or can I put a turbo kit on my automatic and get close to the same performance?

Thanks in advance

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chainer View Post
    Hello all, just recently purchased an 2019 ST-Line automatic and am considering trading it back in for the ST manual. Id keep the ST-Line as I really prefer the automatic select shift (tired of driving stick in seattle traffic on hills) as long as I can slap a turbo on it just the same later down the line.

I haven't really been able to find any specific information on the EcoBoosts engine build, if thats even whats in the 2019 ST they had lined up next to it.

As far as I can tell from Ford.com the ST-Line and ST both feature a 1.6-liter Ti-VCT just the ST has a turbo on it. Is this the EcoBoost motor? Is there any difference in block/head material? Piston head material? etc.

Thanks in advance
    Not 100% sure but I would say yes there are differences, but that being said... you can turbo anything just means the peak power will be different.

Senior Member 725 Rep Points Dpro's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

4 Likes

Just take it back and get a real ST. Its not just the Turbo on the engine. There are suspension differences between the cars.
    Your car mainly has the looks package and thats the end of it. Test drive a real FiST and you will not look back at the ST line IMO.
    2018 Orange Spice,Smoke Storm Recaro’s,Ebony wheels( for now) Thermal RD Exhaust
    , Cobb AP( tune by Randy af Mountune, more customs to come,)ST200 airbox with cold air intake,Revo foam filter, Whoosh/Ramair crossover pipe ,Whoosh Intake Tube,Turbosmart EV blowoff valve, Whoosh motorsports Symposer delete

Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    IN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Thanks in advance
    The ST engine and tranny are specifically built to handle the extra power of the turbo. The stock 1.6 is not. I'd just get an ST and shift it, rather than risk damage to a power train that isn't built to take the stress of a turbo. I think you'd be asking for trouble.
    2017 Magnetic, everything but the Recaros. MP 215, mountune shift kit and shift knob, Husky floor liners. That's all I'm doing, I swear!.. OK, I lied. Also added an intake hose and symposer delete. But that really is all, I swear this time! Okay. just one other thing: A mountune RMM. Now I really am done, I promise!

Senior Member 425 Rep Points danbfree's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

OP made 2 posts, I replied to the other saying the same things:

Different 1.6L, from what I understand, you would have to research turbo kits made for a base Fiesta and doubt it would be very easy or cheap. You will also want the actual ST suspension too, I'd trade it back for a real ST if you can if you are on here and considering an ST. There is less than $2k difference from what I've seen... Also that automatic can't handle much over 180HP, and certainly wouldn't handle the torque that a small turbo puts out.

Also, the ST does have a very effective hill hold feature. I'd really try to get the real ST if you can.
    '17 Magnetic - black wheels/red calipers - New Feb, '18.
    Tunes: Dizzy V2 e30/93 with Cobb TC at 3.
    Performance: Drop-in filter w/shroud cut, upgraded crossover and turbo inlet, symposer delete and hotside J pipe, TurboSmart VR2 electric recirc DV, 18" glasspack muffler swap with 9" resonated DC Sports black tip, step colder plugs.
    Mounts/bracing: Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Powerflex Street engine upper side mount inserts, TB Performance Traction Bar
    Interior: Mojo Mfg short shift plate, Savanini ball shift knob, upholstered leather padded arm rest.
    Lighting: Techmax proper reflector LED low beams, DeAutoLED bright white reverse and trunk LED's
    Next Steps: Intercooler, induction hose, tint, Eibach springs, hybrid, seats

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    IN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
    Also, the ST does have a very effective hill hold feature. I'd really try to get the real ST if you can.
    I never had a car with a hill holder before. You can disable it if you want, but now that I'm used to it, I just keep it on. It's real convenient.
    2017 Magnetic, everything but the Recaros. MP 215, mountune shift kit and shift knob, Husky floor liners. That's all I'm doing, I swear!.. OK, I lied. Also added an intake hose and symposer delete. But that really is all, I swear this time! Okay. just one other thing: A mountune RMM. Now I really am done, I promise!

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
    Think I'll make the trade then. While honestly the color scheme(hot pepper red with black and black rims) on the ST-Line looks a lot better to me the only thing that really sold me on it was the automatic transmission. I was driving a 93 celica GT that was admittedly pretty run down and I was just burnt out on driving a clutch on seattle hills w/ traffic, as well as snowy weather. A hill hold feature would be exactly what Id need to feel more comfortable about driving the clutch in those situations. Otherwise I like driving clutch and the control it gives me.

Its really a shame they didn't make an ST automatic. Would have been too perfect.

Senior Member 1050 Rep Points jeff's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 Likes

Its really a shame they didn't make an ST automatic. Would have been too perfect.

Man...……..in my humble opinion, being a car enthusiast that's owned and driven many 'special' cars like the ST, part of what makes it what it is is the transmission. Put an auto in there, and aside from other mechanical/compatibility issues mentioned already in this thread, you kill the soul of the ST. It's for this reason that the ST only comes with the MT, and other enthusiast cars are the same. It all comes together to produce the connection between driver and road - the suspension, the motor, the steering rack, the transmission. The ST without the 6 speed is like having a pizza without cheese.

I'd recommend you getting a GTI or some other hot hatch that comes with an auto tranny or CVT option.
    Hey, check out my build thread!

Senior Member 425 Rep Points danbfree's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post

Man...……..in my humble opinion, being a car enthusiast that's owned and driven many 'special' cars like the ST, part of what makes it what it is is the transmission. Put an auto in there, and aside from other mechanical/compatibility issues mentioned already in this thread, you kill the soul of the ST. It's for this reason that the ST only comes with the MT, and other enthusiast cars are the same. It all comes together to produce the connection between driver and road - the suspension, the motor, the steering rack, the transmission. The ST without the 6 speed is like having a pizza without cheese.

I'd recommend you getting a GTI or some other hot hatch that comes with an auto tranny or CVT option.
    Agreed.... for very small cars I couldn't even imagine owning an AT. Now for any bigger at all, if there is well-done DCT without a 3 second delay in manual shifting mode, then that could probably work. But for very small cars a good shifting manual is the only way to go. I can't even really rev match very well at all, but still, the stick in ours is pretty well done, with just a regular little short shift plate tightening up the throws just enough back to normal to be perfect.
    '17 Magnetic - black wheels/red calipers - New Feb, '18.
    Tunes: Dizzy V2 e30/93 with Cobb TC at 3.
    Performance: Drop-in filter w/shroud cut, upgraded crossover and turbo inlet, symposer delete and hotside J pipe, TurboSmart VR2 electric recirc DV, 18" glasspack muffler swap with 9" resonated DC Sports black tip, step colder plugs.
    Mounts/bracing: Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Powerflex Street engine upper side mount inserts, TB Performance Traction Bar
    Interior: Mojo Mfg short shift plate, Savanini ball shift knob, upholstered leather padded arm rest.
    Lighting: Techmax proper reflector LED low beams, DeAutoLED bright white reverse and trunk LED's
    Next Steps: Intercooler, induction hose, tint, Eibach springs, hybrid, seats