Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Adding a turbo to ST-Line 1.6-liter Ti-VCT same as Ecoboost?

Chainer

Hello all, just recently purchased an 2019 ST-Line automatic and am considering trading it back in for the ST manual. Id keep the ST-Line as I really prefer the automatic select shift (tired of driving stick in seattle traffic on hills) as long as I can slap a turbo on it just the same later down the line.

I haven't really been able to find any specific information on the EcoBoosts engine build, if thats even whats in the 2019 ST they had lined up next to it.

As far as I can tell from Ford.com the ST-Line and ST both feature a 1.6-liter Ti-VCT just the ST has a turbo on it. Is this the EcoBoost motor? Is there any difference in block/head material? Piston head material? etc.

Or can I put a turbo kit on my automatic and get close to the same performance?

Thanks in advance

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Different 1.6L, from what I understand, you would have to research turbo kits made for a base Fiesta and doubt it would be very easy or cheap. You will also want the actual ST suspension too, I'd trade it back for a real ST if you can if you are on here and considering an ST. There is less than $2k difference from what I've seen... Also that automatic can't handle much over 180HP, and certainly wouldn't handle the torque that a small turbo puts out.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The DCT is a terrible transmission the torque of a real ST engine would destroy the clutches in it. It's not a real automatic it's a dry dual-clutch transmission.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
the Ti-VCT 1.6 is not the same engine. IIRC it still uses port injection while we use direct injection amongst a host of other things.

Don’t even think about it. Get the real ST. This car comes equipped with hill-start assist, which personally I’m a huge fan of because I have a couple long congested hills in my LA drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chainer

Thread Starter #6
Went back to the dealer and made the trade! Even got the ST3 package. I was stoked for the Automatic transmission but honestly the clutch on this is so smooth its hardly a downfall. Thanks for the reply guys, definitely helped make my choice!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Went back to the dealer and made the trade! Even got the ST3 package. I was stoked for the Automatic transmission but honestly the clutch on this is so smooth its hardly a downfall. Thanks for the reply guys, definitely helped make my choice!
Congrats, great call! Please don't perpetuate the trim level nonsense, the FiST has 4 total individually order-able options, including the worthless navigation, but no trim levels... that's on the FoST they discontinued a year before our FiST! :)

So you're saying you got all 3 main options? I personally am not a fan of the sunroof, too small, too far back and prone to leaking but I also know it's hard to find with Recaro's and no sunroof ..

Last edited: