Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2022+ GR86 / BRZ Discussion

CSM

1000 Post Club
Well, I for one have been really impressed with these cars. They kept what was great about the old car, and improved where they needed to (more power, better interior, updated styling). Dyno results are showing this car makes about 35-40 more whp and torque than the previous generation.

Anyone else really like what they are seeing with these? I think I may add one to my stable - I have a few feelers out to Toyota dealers to gauge when GR86 ordering windows open (BRZ window is open, but I dont like that front bumper that much)

I absolutely love my 2013 FRS, apart from the terrible engine.

ronmcdon

I'm really happy with that's done as well, although definitely dissapointed there's no turbocharging (would be happy to pay premium for that). Tempted to replace my Fiesta with this or the ND Miata in a few years. Yes definitely prefer the 86 over the BRZ with the suspension tuning as per the reviews.

btw - good choice with the Z3s in 225/16

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I know Savagegeese liked the car.
I don't plan on purchasing a vehicle for at least 5 years, so it doesn't really matter to me what comes out. I do hope people enjoy it definitely a huge improvement from the previous car.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

dhminer

2000 Post Club
If I were buying a new DD this is what it would be, or a 2.0 Supra. Not sure I could deal with no third pedal in the Supra.

Lays

Has the weight gone up?

Would be a shame if the power to weight was the same as the previous gen, nullifying the gains :/

ronmcdon

weight has not gone up much, think 37 lbs for manual brz. so it's a notable improvement in power to weight ratio. also torque dip is much less noticeable but sadly still there. it's a solid step up even if not drastically so.

Lays

weight has not gone up much, think 37 lbs for manual brz. so it's a notable improvement in power to weight ratio. also torque dip is much less noticeable but sadly still there. it's a solid step up even if not drastically so.
Sweet! I wouldn't mind test driving one, I wonder how strong the engine will be in terms of possible turbo kits later down the road.

Business6

I'm in love with what they've done with the second gen. Unfortunately, I suspect the insurance costs are going to be pretty bad and I also live at an altitude where it would lose about 20% of that naturally aspirated goodness.

If I ever get to sea level again it'll be the first car I get.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm really happy with that's done as well, although definitely dissapointed there's no turbocharging (would be happy to pay premium for that)...
I'm gonna be honest here - I am tired of the super flat powerband of all the small turbo engined cars right now. It's really bled the passion out of them - sure, it would be faster with a tiny turbo, but if I had to pick modern small turbo engine vs peaky rev happy NA... I think the rev happy NA at least has some semblance of character. I don't hate my FiST, but it's not exactly a "character" car, it just... goes. If an 86/brz turbo came from the factory *feeling* like an old turbo car (like an old dodge from the 80's, or an old bugeye wrx) with the lag and everything so you had to work at it... then I'd be down to clown, but I know that due to emissions and most drivers now wanting turbo power without turbo feel it would just be another generic dustbuster. Now... a brz with a subaru flat 6 making 275-300hp? Whatcha guys think about that?

It's all moot tbh, my next car's gonna have to be an automatic and so on for the foreseeable future... so I'll have to see if the auto GR86 is less awful than the older gen cars. I'm in CA so I can't even legally tune out the torque dip and I'm kinda "over" the whole "hide mods from the cops" phase of my life. I have and will continue to have faster cars, I just want a fun daily that doesn't hurt to drive. Also, as much as I've loved my and my wife's alfa romeos... never again. I need cars that work at least once out of every 3 times I try to start them, like my fiat was ;) not months in the dealership at a time like my QF was. (well, to be fair, my fiat also spent months at a time at the dealership, but at least fiat didn't fight me on writing a check to buy a FiST instead... still miss the fiat every day in a way I think I won't miss the fist. It's like owning a semi retarded dog, the fiat did weird stuff all the time, sometimes it shit on the rug, or peed in the heater vent... but it was never *boring*.)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If I were buying a new DD this is what it would be, or a 2.0 Supra. Not sure I could deal with no third pedal in the Supra.
You get over it pretty quick, the ZF 8 speed is godly (pretty sure that's whats in the supra). Every car I have driven with that trans has been absolutely fantastic. My recently departed alfa had the zf 8 speed, and my friend's 6 cyl supra have the zf 8 speed, and I think it's in the stinger GT - every one I have driven you forget about it being an auto pretty quickly. At least here, where theres an hour or two of traffic to get anywhere worth exploring in a car... the lack of a stick on fun roads isn't noticeable compared to the PITA that having a stick in traffic is.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Performance differences aside, I personally think that this car looks MUCH better aesthetically than the Supra (current, or the fanboi 'god' MKIV). [wink]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Performance differences aside, I personally think that this car looks MUCH better aesthetically than the Supra (current, or the fanboi 'god' MKIV). [wink]
I'm like 99% certain that almost all fans of the mk4 supra have never actually driven one. In stock trim it was not a great driving car. It was a porky GT car, not a sports car. It could make massive power when extremely modded, but it... wasn't all that great to drive.

ronmcdon

I'm gonna be honest here - I am tired of the super flat powerband of all the small turbo engined cars right now. It's really bled the passion out of them - sure, it would be faster with a tiny turbo, but if I had to pick modern small turbo engine vs peaky rev happy NA... I think the rev happy NA at least has some semblance of character. I don't hate my FiST, but it's not exactly a "character" car, it just... goes. If an 86/brz turbo came from the factory *feeling* like an old turbo car (like an old dodge from the 80's, or an old bugeye wrx) with the lag and everything so you had to work at it... then I'd be down to clown, but I know that due to emissions and most drivers now wanting turbo power without turbo feel it would just be another generic dustbuster. Now... a brz with a subaru flat 6 making 275-300hp? Whatcha guys think about that?

It's all moot tbh, my next car's gonna have to be an automatic and so on for the foreseeable future... so I'll have to see if the auto GR86 is less awful than the older gen cars. I'm in CA so I can't even legally tune out the torque dip and I'm kinda "over" the whole "hide mods from the cops" phase of my life. I have and will continue to have faster cars, I just want a fun daily that doesn't hurt to drive. Also, as much as I've loved my and my wife's alfa romeos... never again. I need cars that work at least once out of every 3 times I try to start them, like my fiat was ;) not months in the dealership at a time like my QF was. (well, to be fair, my fiat also spent months at a time at the dealership, but at least fiat didn't fight me on writing a check to buy a FiST instead... still miss the fiat every day in a way I think I won't miss the fist. It's like owning a semi retarded dog, the fiat did weird stuff all the time, sometimes it shit on the rug, or peed in the heater vent... but it was never *boring*.)
I think it's going to be a challenge to find something that fits the criteria of fun na engine, good auto transmission and practical daily.

if its not too small, the ND miata would get you good NA engine that gets you better mpg than the 86 (weak spot for a daily driver), the auto transmission seems improved and the fun factor would be there.

the new bmw 2 series coupe may not be a poor choice either, but unless im mistaken that might also be a turbo and the exterior design is polarizing although less offensive than the 2 gran coupe. same deal with the veloster n and probably the next CTR (which may come with an auto trans if the rumor are true).

I am at peace having an older beater civic hybrid with an automatic and some suspension mods to keep it enjoyable, as my daily. would not have the heart to pile on the miles on a nicer new 86 or even my current fiesta. theres no joy for me using a fun car only to be bogged down by stop and go traffic seemingly 80 percent of the time in southern CA.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Video from Stratified looking at a baseline 2022 BRZ Dyno and comparing it to some cars. They even compare it to a tuned Fist at 8:13.

View: https://youtu.be/L-eDAz424I0?t=493
yeah even though the cars are rated at only about 23 more hp than the 2017+ models, they are dynoing at a lot higher deltas. Clearly Subiyota was underrating this FA24

For whatever it's worth I've had mine for over a month now, 2K miles and even got a track day in. I've been loving it, the new gen improves on everything I didn't like about the last one. Feels like the perfect car to upgrade to from the FiST. I did end up keeping my ST and they complement each other very well.

Attachments

ronmcdon

Wow very nice and great color!

Please say more about what you like about the car on the track. Is it pretty confidence inspiring to push hard? Do the stock seats hold you in pretty well?
curious also how fuel consumption is especially on the track.
Might replace my Fiesta in a couple of years with either an 86 or ND

also curious how the michelin PS4s held up.

Wow very nice and great color!

Please say more about what you like about the car on the track. Is it pretty confidence inspiring to push hard? Do the stock seats hold you in pretty well?
curious also how fuel consumption is especially on the track.
Might replace my Fiesta in a couple of years with either an 86 or ND

also curious how the michelin PS4s held up.
It felt very well balanced and confidence inspiring. This is my first RWD car that I've had on track, and even if it did start to step out just a little bit, it was easy to correct. It was also easy to start pushing the car more and more throughout the day in and out of corners without fear of wiping out. If there was any flaw, it could start to push/understeer a little bit in the corners occasionally, but that should be easily fixed by a more track focused alignment. The seats, and I can't believe I'm saying this might be better to me than the ST's Recaro's. And I loved those Recaro's. I have the limited with the Alcantara interior, they held me in well.

The engine has a lot of character to match the car now. There's plenty of torque for daily driving, even passing at highways speeds in sixth gear. And it revs so quick, I keep hitting the engine cutoff because I'm not used to it. Fuel mileage on track was decent, we did four sessions both days and by the third I was left with about a quarter of tank. And that's a full tank of gas with an hour drive to the track. I usually fill up to avoid any chance of fuel starvation.

The Michelins I am very impressed with. There were a few times where they got a little bit slippery on me, but overall for 20 minute sessions they held up incredibly well. I was coming from Falken RT660's from the Fiesta over to the PS4's and I didn't feel the immediate need for more grip. I'll upgrade at some point, but for now the Michelins are surprisingly good enough.

Even just on errands it's a blast. On track compared to the Fiesta it's much more comfortable to drive when driving towards the limit. If the stock pads weren't toast on the first day, I would've beat my fastest laps in the ST easily. So ya I love the car a lot and I'm going to stop now because I'll just keep running on.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Was actually considering replacing my Veloster N with one of these two. I'm waiting to hear back on pricing and availability (I absolutely HAVE to have a blue one),

Thanks for the awesome impressions compared to the FiST :)