Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

shifter popping out of gear

ROCKYFiestta

hello was trying to see if anybody is a trans guru, this is for my se fiesta not my st , when I slow down to make a right turn or left and I have to upshift from 3rd back to second, and if I am not under 20 mph it will automatically pop out of gear including the shifter goes back to neutral. just wondering if anybody ever had this issue. it also pops out if I am going slow from first into second also while trying to stay in 2nd. any input as to where I should begin??

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have little guidance to give. There is a procedure for centering / adjusting the shifter that lines up 3/4 with the spring. In involves some work under the hood. You can also make certain you have enough transmission fluid (2L, not the 1.6L from the factory). I also have the car pop out of 2nd, but almost always when auto crossing, not daily driving.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The standard Fiesta has a different transmission than the FiST.

I'm assuming it's not under warranty?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Popping out of gear on any manual trans is not a good thing.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The problem of the transmission popping out of gear is usually fixed by a simple cable adjustment.
Although the 5 and 6 speed transmissions are different, the cables do adjust in a similar fusion.
Look for the cable ends on the transmission and you should see the adjusters.
Place the shifter in the gear that is popping out, remove the apocopate cable from the transmission, then make sure the cable is adjusted so that the transmission is fully into gear.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Oops, I did miss the model difference in the original email. D1JL is of course on track here.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The problem of the transmission popping out of gear is usually fixed by a simple cable adjustment.
Although the 5 and 6 speed transmissions are different, the cables do adjust in a similar fusion.
Look for the cable ends on the transmission and you should see the adjusters.
Place the shifter in the gear that is popping out, remove the apocopate cable from the transmission, then make sure the cable is adjusted so that the transmission is fully into gear.
That makes sense.

Anyone who rides a motorcycle knows you have to adjust the clutch cable, eventually. Sometimes the front brake cable, too, on simpler bikes. Cables stretch. You don't even have to replace them, usually. Just tighten it up a bit.

I'm willing to bet somebody did that to their 5 speed Fiesta and put it on Youtube.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #8
thanks I will be replacing the trans fluid as I saw some seepage from the drain plug area as well I will have to try the cables trick for sure

thanks again

yeah its not under warranty im second owner and its at 80k now

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Was curious, did you attempt to adjust the cables yet?

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #10
not yet so far been looking for a video specific to that car just so I have a good idea but no luck with that and every day I have had off recently we had bad weather ( I don't have a garage [sad][?|]) so still waiting for a nice day that I get off to give it a shot. only video I found was for a focus where the dude created a bushing to go over the pin at the end of the cable to help it out with the shift cable not bending all weird, the trans looked identical to the one my se fiesta.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
[MENTION=10211]ROCKYFiestta[/MENTION],
PM me your email address.
I do believe I have the correct info that can help you.

Dave

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #13
it will get out of gear and go back out to neutral, sorry havnt had much time to work on wife's fiesta se

I tried to change the trans oil even put some lucas in there but it still pops out I probably have to adjust the cables like some fellas said but I have no clue how to do that lol.

Dib

Does it pop out of gear even if you're holding the stick? And if the cables were in need of tightening wouldn't it pop out of 1st, or 4th too depending on which cable is loose? The first trans in my old civic used to pop out of second a lot becuase 2nd gear was trashed from driving it like I hated it. Wore the teeth down so much that it didn't want to grab anymore. First you have to grind it before you find it, amirite?

Try the cable adjustment but also open your hood and grab the top of your engine and try to move it front to back and side to side. If its flopping around its a sign of bad motor mounts. This sometimes can cause shifting issues.

Last edited: