Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need additional USB data port

sjtnt

So as you all know, Sync 3 equipped ST's have two USB ports. My assortment of accessories require three data enabled USB ports. Plugging in a USB splitter/hub results in an error message on the touchscreen saying Sync 3 does not support USB hubs, and asks me to remove the hub. I don't need my accessories to be accessible at the same time, so technically I can unplug what I'm not using and plug in the device I want to use, but I don't like that plan. I want to leave them plugged in all the time. I'm fine with pushing a button to switch between USB devices, but I need to find some kind of splitter that isolates the devices and USB connections so that Sync 3 thinks there is one device plugged into the USB port and does not generate the aforementioned message about not supporting hubs.

Does anyone know what kind of splitter/isolator/hub to use so that I can keep everything plugged in and not receive the error message? Please let me know, and thank you all in advance!

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What are the three items you have plugged in? Do you actually need them to connect to the radio or do you just need to charge them, etc.?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
One way to address your needs is to run a cable that has wire connections on one end (+ & ground) and has a female USB on the other. You can mount it into the dash somewhere, if you care, or just snake it into the armrest cubby. These can be found on Amazon for less than $10.

Now, this obviously only would let you charge the device, not run it through AA or CarPlay. Another alternative would be to splice a 3 way switch to isolate this added USB port - if you actually pull the hub out and connect the cable to one of the existing USB ones.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So as you all know, Sync 3 equipped ST's have two USB ports. My assortment of accessories require three data enabled USB ports. Plugging in a USB splitter/hub results in an error message on the touchscreen saying Sync 3 does not support USB hubs, and asks me to remove the hub. I don't need my accessories to be accessible at the same time, so technically I can unplug what I'm not using and plug in the device I want to use, but I don't like that plan. I want to leave them plugged in all the time. I'm fine with pushing a button to switch between USB devices, but I need to find some kind of splitter that isolates the devices and USB connections so that Sync 3 thinks there is one device plugged into the USB port and does not generate the aforementioned message about not supporting hubs.

Does anyone know what kind of splitter/isolator/hub to use so that I can keep everything plugged in and not receive the error message? Please let me know, and thank you all in advance!
Yeah if you can elaborate a bit as to what the devices are and what specifically you are trying to do, it would be much easier to help you.

OP
S

sjtnt

Thread Starter #5
Thank you for responding to my thread. I have a lifetime XM radio/dock that uses a USB analog to digital converter to communicate to the Ford Sync 3 system, a USB flash drive for MP3 playback and Android Auto from my phone uses a third required USB data input. I hope you have an idea for me...

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thank you for responding to my thread. I have a lifetime XM radio/dock that uses a USB analog to digital converter to communicate to the Ford Sync 3 system, a USB flash drive for MP3 playback and Android Auto from my phone uses a third required USB data input. I hope you have an idea for me...
You will have to splice a switch. Or, invest in an iPod or something so that you can BT the music and use the wire-to-USB cable to power the music device up. These days you can play just about anything via Pandora or Spotify, including obscure genres. USB sticks as players are rather quaint... [emoji10]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Could you use an OTG splitter to connect the usb flash drive to your phone, and the phone to the car, and android auto to play the audio files from the phone? Or maybe a microSD card with all your audio on it? Since sync only mounts two interactive devices you do not have any options for connecting three devices, it simply doesn't host more than two devices.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Switch APPs.
Use Ultimate Driving Mode instead of Android Auto.
This will connect between SYNC and your phone via Bluetooth.
If you need to power your phone at the same time, you can you can connect a charge adapter from the power tap.
Your other two things should work with your existing two USB ports.