Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need additional USB data port

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So as you all know, Sync 3 equipped ST's have two USB ports. My assortment of accessories require three data enabled USB ports. Plugging in a USB splitter/hub results in an error message on the touchscreen saying Sync 3 does not support USB hubs, and asks me to remove the hub. I don't need my accessories to be accessible at the same time, so technically I can unplug what I'm not using and plug in the device I want to use, but I don't like that plan. I want to leave them plugged in all the time. I'm fine with pushing a button to switch between USB devices, but I need to find some kind of splitter that isolates the devices and USB connections so that Sync 3 thinks there is one device plugged into the USB port and does not generate the aforementioned message about not supporting hubs.

Does anyone know what kind of splitter/isolator/hub to use so that I can keep everything plugged in and not receive the error message? Please let me know, and thank you all in advance!

Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the three items you have plugged in? Do you actually need them to connect to the radio or do you just need to charge them, etc.?
    **Ask me about purchasing an Automatic Traction Control Off or Sport Mode On Module (Plug and Play)
    https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Plug-and-Play)

2016 Ford Fiesta ST - White Platinum / Recaros, Tuned by Stratified
    - Garrett GTX2860R Gen II Turbo, AET VUDU Ported Exhaust Manifold (41mm), Ported Turbo V-Band Adapter (41mm), Whoosh 3" Catted Downpipe, CP-E FMIC, Velossa Tech Big Mouth Snorkel, CP-E Intake, CP-E Cold Side Charge Pipe w/ Turbosmart BPV, and Cobb AccessPort (Stratified E30 & 93 Custom Tune)
    - CP-E RMM, SkidPlateGuy Front Skid, NoPistons Evap Skid, Pierce Motorsports Midship Brace
    - 185/65R15 Maxsport RB3 Gravel Tires for Rallycross
    - 225/45R16 Dunlop Direzza Z3 for Autocross
    - 205/50R16 General G-Max AS-05 for Daily Driving
    - 175/65R15 Michelin X-ICE XI3 for Winter Driving

Member 63 Rep Points maestromaestro's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One way to address your needs is to run a cable that has wire connections on one end (+ & ground) and has a female USB on the other. You can mount it into the dash somewhere, if you care, or just snake it into the armrest cubby. These can be found on Amazon for less than $10.

Now, this obviously only would let you charge the device, not run it through AA or CarPlay. Another alternative would be to splice a 3 way switch to isolate this added USB port - if you actually pull the hub out and connect the cable to one of the existing USB ones.
    Stage 3 2015: Cobb FMIC + APort&Tuner + Cobb RMM + Ingen CAI + ATP charge pipe + 2JR catless DP + 3" inch Ingen exhaust/custom 3" flange for DP + Mishimoto Radiator + Mishimoto Oil Cooler : Sympozer delete : Boomba shifter bushings/short throw adapter : Wilwood Big/Brake Kits on all 4 corners and Timken rear hubs : Willwood Spec 37 slotted rotors; 4x100 bolting pattern conversion : Boomba Brake Cooling Deflectors : BC-2 Coilovers and Springs - 1" lower : TB Performance brace, crossmemeber and rear traction bar : NoPistons dead pedal : Euro smoked LED tailights : Strobe 3rd brake light :Rally Mud Flaps : Sanded front grille honeycomb : Auxbeam® 7" fog lights : Piercemotorsports front tow hook : SYNC 3 conversion with Android Auto/Apple Car Play : Rear view backup camera : Speed Dawg shift knob : JL Audio JX400/4D 4-channel amplifier : KICKER 11HS8 8" 150W Subwoofer : AudioControl LC2i 2 : Infinity 6-1/2 Inch Coaxial Speakers : Polk Audio Speakers : Schroth Rallye 4 ASM harness +...

Member 352 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjtnt View Post
    So as you all know, Sync 3 equipped ST's have two USB ports. My assortment of accessories require three data enabled USB ports. Plugging in a USB splitter/hub results in an error message on the touchscreen saying Sync 3 does not support USB hubs, and asks me to remove the hub. I don't need my accessories to be accessible at the same time, so technically I can unplug what I'm not using and plug in the device I want to use, but I don't like that plan. I want to leave them plugged in all the time. I'm fine with pushing a button to switch between USB devices, but I need to find some kind of splitter that isolates the devices and USB connections so that Sync 3 thinks there is one device plugged into the USB port and does not generate the aforementioned message about not supporting hubs.

Does anyone know what kind of splitter/isolator/hub to use so that I can keep everything plugged in and not receive the error message? Please let me know, and thank you all in advance!
    Yeah if you can elaborate a bit as to what the devices are and what specifically you are trying to do, it would be much easier to help you.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for responding to my thread. I have a lifetime XM radio/dock that uses a USB analog to digital converter to communicate to the Ford Sync 3 system, a USB flash drive for MP3 playback and Android Auto from my phone uses a third required USB data input. I hope you have an idea for me...

Member 63 Rep Points maestromaestro's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for responding to my thread. I have a lifetime XM radio/dock that uses a USB analog to digital converter to communicate to the Ford Sync 3 system, a USB flash drive for MP3 playback and Android Auto from my phone uses a third required USB data input. I hope you have an idea for me...
    You will have to splice a switch. Or, invest in an iPod or something so that you can BT the music and use the wire-to-USB cable to power the music device up. These days you can play just about anything via Pandora or Spotify, including obscure genres. USB sticks as players are rather quaint...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Stage 3 2015: Cobb FMIC + APort&Tuner + Cobb RMM + Ingen CAI + ATP charge pipe + 2JR catless DP + 3" inch Ingen exhaust/custom 3" flange for DP + Mishimoto Radiator + Mishimoto Oil Cooler : Sympozer delete : Boomba shifter bushings/short throw adapter : Wilwood Big/Brake Kits on all 4 corners and Timken rear hubs : Willwood Spec 37 slotted rotors; 4x100 bolting pattern conversion : Boomba Brake Cooling Deflectors : BC-2 Coilovers and Springs - 1" lower : TB Performance brace, crossmemeber and rear traction bar : NoPistons dead pedal : Euro smoked LED tailights : Strobe 3rd brake light :Rally Mud Flaps : Sanded front grille honeycomb : Auxbeam® 7" fog lights : Piercemotorsports front tow hook : SYNC 3 conversion with Android Auto/Apple Car Play : Rear view backup camera : Speed Dawg shift knob : JL Audio JX400/4D 4-channel amplifier : KICKER 11HS8 8" 150W Subwoofer : AudioControl LC2i 2 : Infinity 6-1/2 Inch Coaxial Speakers : Polk Audio Speakers : Schroth Rallye 4 ASM harness +...

Member 352 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you use an OTG splitter to connect the usb flash drive to your phone, and the phone to the car, and android auto to play the audio files from the phone? Or maybe a microSD card with all your audio on it? Since sync only mounts two interactive devices you do not have any options for connecting three devices, it simply doesn't host more than two devices.

Administrator Staff Team 1488 Rep Points Fiesta ST of the Month Winner D1JL's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points Earned First 5000 Posts and 500 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Switch APPs.
    Use Ultimate Driving Mode instead of Android Auto.
    This will connect between SYNC and your phone via Bluetooth.
    If you need to power your phone at the same time, you can you can connect a charge adapter from the power tap.
    Your other two things should work with your existing two USB ports.
    Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise.