Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will I need a tune?

So I am about to upgrade my exhaust and downpipe to the mountune; however I was wondering if after I install it could I just use the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune without an upgraded intake or intercooler or should I get it actually tuned? The only other performance upgrade I have is the Accessport and the flat air filter. Any help is welcome as I still don't know much about cars.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #3
I don't believe it is catless as I'm in Cali so I went safe and don't want the hassle, but alright, thank you

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #5
So just leave it as is and not even go to the stage 3?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Stage 3 as far as I remember requires an updated intercooler.....intake ....Etc......The intercooler at the very east to go up to stage 3. [thumb]

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would not run a higher flowing downpipe without a tune. The tune is required to compensate for the better flowing exhaust otherwise you may make additional boost that the ecu is not compensating for. I would get the intercooler and then run the stage 3 tune. The intercooler is the most important modification for this car.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
He is in Cali....yes If its High flow sure it would need a "flash tune" .....He never mentioned it was high flow though. I will agree the intercooler is the one of the next logical steps to get to stage 3 & not so much the DP and Exhaust. If it was me id get the Intercooler first....move up to stage 3.....Run it for a while and enjoy it. Then get exhaust and wait on the DP until I get a Hybrid or BT.

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #10
I have no idea if it is high flow to be honest I bought in back in 2017 from mountune, it was the 2634. - mountune High Flow Turbo Back Exhaust - Fiesta ST 2014-2017, and downpipe, but right after I got it ran into a financial situation and haven't been able to put it on until now

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have no idea if it is high flow to be honest I bought in back in 2017 from mountune, it was the 2634. - mountune High Flow Turbo Back Exhaust - Fiesta ST 2014-2017, and downpipe, but right after I got it ran into a financial situation and haven't been able to put it on until now

Yeah I would get a tune. Do you have an accessport already? If so, you are looking at another $300 for the intercooler and $200 for a stratified flash tune and you are golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Since you don't know I would get a flash tune for it just to play it safe like JDG said....Grab an intercooler from Whoosh...Pwnall performance or Depo. Then get a Flash tune and call it a day.....Trust me you will never look back after its all done and your driving it! [rockon]

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #13
Yea j already have an Accessport, alright so I guess I'll wait to put the exhaust and downpipe on until an intercooler, so then just go intercoolerā†’exhaust and downpipeā†’strat tune? But while waiting for the strat tune then stage 3 would be fine?

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #15
Alrighty then looks like I'll be waiting a few more months then haha

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #17
I could get a second job and still not even afford to live by myself in central Cali...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So I am about to upgrade my exhaust and downpipe to the mountune; however I was wondering if after I install it could I just use the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune without an upgraded intake or intercooler or should I get it actually tuned? The only other performance upgrade I have is the Accessport and the flat air filter. Any help is welcome as I still don't know much about cars.

Just be aware a catless downpipe or an aftermarket downpipe aren't going to do much for you, and with your location you are *asking* for a smog ticket. The downpipe isn't going to add power if you're on the stock turbo, and with increasingly strict CA smog enforcement the chances of getting dinged for it keep going up.

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #19
Luckily Cali doesn't require smog testing for 6 years after purchase of a new car so I'm good until 2022 and it's not catless

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I could get a second job and still not even afford to live by myself in central Cali...

I've lived in Cali many times. It's a great place, but the rent is outrageous, everywhere.