Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fortune Flares

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Look at the front wheel in the middle picture. That is a *massive* amount of positive scrub! I love the bulldog look, but this is jewelry, not performance stuff.

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
Look at the front wheel in the middle picture. That is a *massive* amount of positive scrub! I love the bulldog look, but this is jewelry, not performance stuff.
From the rear, the wheels look to be tucking pretty good, not all pushed out on spacers or with a bunch of negative offset. The front strut's only going to allow a certain amount of backspace, then it's all going to the outside.

I'm thinking an 18x10 with 285/30 might fit these flares. I guess it depends on how crazy you want to go and if a 2750lb car needs that much tire.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
From the rear, the wheels look to be tucking pretty good, not all pushed out on spacers or with a bunch of negative offset. The front strut's only going to allow a certain amount of backspace, then it's all going to the outside.

I'm thinking an 18x10 with 285/30 might fit these flares. I guess it depends on how crazy you want to go and if a 2750lb car needs that much tire.
Are you kidding? Those wheels have *way* more negative offset than stock. I mean, yeah, the wheels are tucked in, but under like 6" of flare. To get the same inner position of the stock 7.5" with a 10" wheel you'd need another 1.25", or 32mm, of negative offset or spacer. That much more spinning and unsprung weight and the increased scrub is going to kill handing, not to mention the load on the wheel bearings.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look, but this isn't for performance. The only way to make this kinda/sorta work is with new knuckles and/or LCAs.

OP
G
Thread Starter #9
Are you kidding? Those wheels have *way* more negative offset than stock.

The only way to make this kinda/sorta work is with new knuckles and/or LCAs.
I'm an old man. I think in terms of backspacing and don't understand this offset stuff. I went by this chart:

wheel-offset.jpg

From looking at the pic of the car from the rear, it looks like it has as much positive offset as it can have for the width. There are cars on this forum with 8" wide wheels spaced out to fill out flares. I thought that was what you were talking about, which isn't what I'm seeing here.

It's hard to run a wide wheel on a strut suspension without adding width to the outside of the wheel. And yes, it does hurt the scrub radius but I guess the extra tire makes up for it because they're faster with the wider wheels.

My CP Mustang had 12" wide wheels and slicks on the front, and I never mathed it out, but I'm sure the scrub radius sucked. I had the k-member modified to raise the control arm pickup points two inches so that I could maintain camber gain under compression with the car lowered... Anyway, I don't know anyone in CP that was faster on narrower wheels unless it was wet or cold.

The well built cars had the custom built front suspensions like what you're talking about that allowed a shit ton of backspace so they could get zero scrub, or close to it.

OP
G
Thread Starter #12
When this tread was posted Fortune had a teaser on their Instagram account (I think) about their flares for the Fiesta. Maybe try their FB page?
Yep. The Fiesta flares are something they're working on, don't think they've been released yet.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
They look awesome but 60mm of flare each side; too much for my taste. I want half of that so that I can fit a 245 on a 9” wheel. Ron’s teasing with something....

Taz

I've been looking at these for when/if I can get my FiST. The car looks to me to be lowered, especially to have that lack of arch clearance, isn't it? With that lack of clearance it amazes me that they can even turn the front wheels! More pics HERE from their site. Sure, I really love the idea of making the FiST look like an aggressive real life Hot Wheels car, even if it means cutting up the fenders, but only if I can have some decent wheel clearance as well.

Oh yeah, one major question I've got to ask is, I notice that the kit's fitted to the five door ST. Other than the rear doors are there any other differences in that area between the five door FiST and the three door FiST? If not surely the rear flare panels can be adapted to easily fit the three door FiST?

Last edited:

Taz

Pity they don't make them for the UK/Euro three door FiST. I got onto them back along and they flatly refuse to make them for the three door. :(