Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going bigger turbo - need tuner suggestion

I recently bought a '14 FiST with 50K miles that currently has intercooler, symposer delete, catch can, catless DP, MBRP exhaust, and Cobb V3 tuner. I also recently bought a used but very nice ATP 2860r Gen 1 turbo with charge pipe, BOV, etc, and would like to install it right away. Can I install the turbo and run the car on a canned Cobb tune for a while or do I have to shell out a few hundred for a canned tune right away? If I have to get a tune for the larger turbo, what's the recommended route for those looking to do it on the cheap but not jeopardize the motor? I love the car and want to keep it at least a year, but my last FiST was sold after only 5 months due to the envy green color being a little too "look at me" for my liking. I'm a little older than most of you guys, but I'm giving the FiST another shot since I enjoyed it so much.

Also, if someone has an Aux fuel setup for sale let me know. My current goal is 300WHP for the car, but 350WHP or the best I could do on 93 octane would be even better. Thanks

20190321_185908_resized.jpg

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You must get a custom tune for a turbo upgrade go ahead pick a tuner of your preference. Order the custom tune and have it ready for when you install your turbo. Please for the sake of your engine do not install that Turbo without having a custom tune ready, also you will have to send revisions in as they will make adjustments for your Turbo upgrade. I don't have a Turbo upgrade but I know the necessary steps.
I would also recommend going to a step colder spark plug. Multiple threads on that subject.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

You will need to get a tune. You could probably run around safely off the boost, but why chance it? I'm working with Tune+ with my MRX kit. Adam will send you a safe base map within 48 hrs.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sounds like you have most of what you need. Take a look around, there are least a half a dozen of us running the GTX2860 (Gen 1 and 2). You should be able to get an idea of what else is needed from the many threads on the subject.

You absolutely need a custom tune. Everyone has there preferences for tuners and mine is Stratified. They have been in the business of tuning Direct Injection since at least 2009 in the MazdaSpeed world. Alex is a very smart guy and applies that knowledge to everything he does. He also has some excellent articles written on their website that may answer some of your questions:

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=17&zenid=kla42acbisie3b701bc00bjv34

https://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=20&zenid=kla42acbisie3b701bc00bjv34

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You will need Aux fuel to get anything north of 300whp.Even 300whp is getting close to the edge... Doesn't sound like it to me your a True FiST lover...no offense...If you were....You wouldn't have gotten Rid of the Envy. Good luck trying to find Aux fuel for sale....they are like trying to buy Unicorn Farts. When it does come up for sale ...you must be ready to pounce....No lolly gagging....money in hand! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
grip grip
Thread Starter #6
You must get a custom tune for a turbo upgrade go ahead pick a tuner of your preference. Order the custom tune and have it ready for when you install your turbo. Please for the sake of your engine do not install that Turbo without having a custom tune ready, also you will have to send revisions in as they will make adjustments for your Turbo upgrade. I don't have a Turbo upgrade but I know the necessary steps.
I would also recommend going to a step colder spark plug. Multiple threads on that subject.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
You will need to get a tune. You could probably run around safely off the boost, but why chance it? I'm working with Tune+ with my MRX kit. Adam will send you a safe base map within 48 hrs.
Sounds like you have most of what you need. Take a look around, there are least a half a dozen of us running the GTX2860 (Gen 1 and 2). You should be able to get an idea of what else is needed from the many threads on the subject.

You absolutely need a custom tune. Everyone has there preferences for tuners and mine is Stratified. They have been in the business of tuning Direct Injection since at least 2009 in the MazdaSpeed world. Alex is a very smart guy and applies that knowledge to everything he does. He also has some excellent articles written on their website that may answer some of your questions:

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=17&zenid=kla42acbisie3b701bc00bjv34

https://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=20&zenid=kla42acbisie3b701bc00bjv34
You will need Aux fuel to get anything north of 300whp.Even 300whp is getting close to the edge... Doesn't sound like it to me your a True FiST lover...no offense...If you were....You wouldn't have gotten Rid of the Envy. Good luck trying to find Aux fuel for sale....they are like trying to buy Unicorn Farts. When it does come up for sale ...you must be ready to pounce....No lolly gagging....money in hand! Good luck![/IMG]

Thanks guys for all the advice and recommendations. I've been so busy lately with work and wrenching on my other cars I just haven't had the time to do the proper research on the Fiesta. It's nice to know the tune is mandatory, so now I won't feel guilty spending the money on it. I'm really kicking myself though for not buying the Aux fuel kit I saw on Facebook a week or two ago. Didn't realize they were like hen's teeth. Live and learn I suppose.

BTW, those Stratifiedauto links are priceless, thanks!

As someone running a gen 1 gtx2867r on one of Adam's (Tune Plus) tunes, I'm making about 292 hp at full boost in 3rd on 93 octane. Really, anything more for this car might be better suited for the track. I think you'll be just fine without aux fuel. Also, the gen 1's make a lot of hp, but boost comes on suuuuuper late. I don't make full boost until ~4400 rpm's.

Edit: Also, your car looks great! Are those dekagrams? I have a set of bronze ones coming to me this week, and I can't wait!

OP
grip grip
Thread Starter #8
As someone running a gen 1 gtx2867r on one of Adam's (Tune Plus) tunes, I'm making about 292 hp at full boost in 3rd on 93 octane. Really, anything more for this car might be better suited for the track. I think you'll be just fine without aux fuel. Also, the gen 1's make a lot of hp, but boost comes on suuuuuper late. I don't make full boost until ~4400 rpm's.

Edit: Also, your car looks great! Are those dekagrams? I have a set of bronze ones coming to me this week, and I can't wait!
Thanks. Dang, didn't realize this turbo was so slow to spool. I was thinking it was one of the smaller options. Anyway, I'll research some of those quick spool manifolds and maybe one of them will cut down on spool RPM's. BTW, can I even install the 2860 on the stock header?

The wheels are Sparco Assetto Gara. They popped up on CL (set of 5) so I jumped on them. Too good of a deal to pass up.

I think you're right about the power level. I already have a track car, so I think I'll just be pushing this one to where it runs out of fuel and I'll be calling it a day. By the way, do you know if there are any tuners that will sell me a tune that won't be locked to my VIN? Point being, if I sell the turbo kit a year or two down the road to return to stock, it would be nice to sell it with the V3 and tune.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks. Dang, didn't realize this turbo was so slow to spool. I was thinking it was one of the smaller options. Anyway, I'll research some of those quick spool manifolds and maybe one of them will cut down on spool RPM's. BTW, can I even install the 2860 on the stock header?

The wheels are Sparco Assetto Gara. They popped up on CL (set of 5) so I jumped on them. Too good of a deal to pass up.

I think you're right about the power level. I already have a track car, so I think I'll just be pushing this one to where it runs out of fuel and I'll be calling it a day. By the way, do you know if there are any tuners that will sell me a tune that won't be locked to my VIN? Point being, if I sell the turbo kit a year or two down the road to return to stock, it would be nice to sell it with the V3 and tune.
Yes you sure can.....this is why ATP made an adapter for the Factory exhaust manifold. The spool in minimally effected also by the exhaust manifold. I have a SS Ported and Polished manifold with a Machined ATP Adapter to match. Did it help....who knows maybe alittle.....Do I give a Shit? NOPE! This thing is way better then stock and doesn't run out of steam up top....im up into the high range of HP according to Cobbs guesstimate of 291 on its best day. Do I care Nope again...its better than stock in everyway. Am I going to install Aux fuel a 4 port injection setup by Stratified? Yeap....because I can and then this Turbo will come even more alive with more fuel! Every car is different with the tune...that is why every car must be tuned separately from another. No car reacts the same to a tune. Good luck out there.....im sure whatever you choose will be great! [party]

I worked with Adam at Tune+ to tune my gen 1 DHM 450r kit. He is knowledgeable and doesn’t beat around the bush. He also has a very fast response time with questions and sending new tunes.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I love having Tune+ as my tuner. REALLY quick turn arounds on tunes/revisions.

OP
grip grip
Thread Starter #12
Yes you sure can.....this is why ATP made an adapter for the Factory exhaust manifold. The spool in minimally effected also by the exhaust manifold. I have a SS Ported and Polished manifold with a Machined ATP Adapter to match. Did it help....who knows maybe alittle.....Do I give a Shit? NOPE! This thing is way better then stock and doesn't run out of steam up top....im up into the high range of HP according to Cobbs guesstimate of 291 on its best day. Do I care Nope again...its better than stock in everyway. Am I going to install Aux fuel a 4 port injection setup by Stratified? Yeap....because I can and then this Turbo will come even more alive with more fuel! Every car is different with the tune...that is why every car must be tuned separately from another. No car reacts the same to a tune. Good luck out there.....im sure whatever you choose will be great! [party]
I worked with Adam at Tune+ to tune my gen 1 DHM 450r kit. He is knowledgeable and doesn’t beat around the bush. He also has a very fast response time with questions and sending new tunes.
I love having Tune+ as my tuner. REALLY quick turn arounds on tunes/revisions.
Thanks. Do all tuners offer launch control, no lift shifting, variable traction control and all that as long as you're tuning with the V3? Also, are all tunes locked to your vin? If I sell my car in two years and want to revert to stock, can I sell the big turbo tune along with the V3 and turbo? I know Adams's locks the tunes to your vin, but wondering if they all do.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks. Do all tuners offer launch control, no lift shifting, variable traction control and all that as long as you're tuning with the V3? Also, are all tunes locked to your vin? If I sell my car in two years and want to revert to stock, can I sell the big turbo tune along with the V3 and turbo?
The tune will most likely need to be checked on the newer vehicle. It would be best if the new owner got a new base file and started over due to ...again...every car reacts differently when tuning and this is the safest way to not detonate the engine![rockon]

OP
grip grip
Thread Starter #14
The more I read the more I'm convinced I want both a quick spool X47R and the power of a big turbo in the same package. Obviously not a reality, so I'm going to get an unlimited tune option and start with the GT2860 gen 1. Yes, it's a dinosaur, but I already have it in my possession so I might as well try it out. If I don't like it I'll swap it for the x47r or a base X57. I'm really not looking to race the car and just want the most fun out of it as a daily. It will certainly end up at the track though at some point.

The more I read the more I'm convinced I want both a quick spool X47R and the power of a big turbo in the same package. Obviously not a reality, so I'm going to get an unlimited tune option and start with the GT2860 gen 1. Yes, it's a dinosaur, but I already have it in my possession so I might as well try it out. If I don't like it I'll swap it for the x47r or a base X57. I'm really not looking to race the car and just want the most fun out of it as a daily. It will certainly end up at the track though at some point.
(y)(y)(y)

I think this is the right choice. I'm only dissatisfied with mine when I look at turbos that are better on paper. Every time I get into mine, though, it still puts a smile on my face. Yours should spool a little quicker than mine, anyway. Have fun! Looking forward to the results!

As for wanting it all, it seems like maybe the G25-550 might be the ticket. It might be what I move to eventually.

OP
grip grip
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for all the input on different tuners as its led me to pull the trigger tonight on the unlimited tune from Adam at Tune+. If things go as planned I should have the antique turbo installed this week and be pushing it hard by May. If I hate it I'll upgrade, but gotta test it first. Currently my car is very laggy due to it having the Turbosmart upgraded wastegate actuator without a tune for it, so should feel about the same except more power across the board and especially up top I suppose.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
(y)(y)(y)

I think this is the right choice. I'm only dissatisfied with mine when I look at turbos that are better on paper. Every time I get into mine, though, it still puts a smile on my face. Yours should spool a little quicker than mine, anyway. Have fun! Looking forward to the results!

As for wanting it all, it seems like maybe the G25-550 might be the ticket. It might be what I move to eventually.
Talk to swampgas he is the only one I know of that runs the G25-550 by Garrett. It's a nice setup....he has a lot into his.

OP
grip grip
Thread Starter #18
Can I run the stock airbox with just an upgraded air filter with the GT2860R at less than 300WHP? I recently removed and sold an Injen due to hating the noise, so I'd rather not go with a non-OEM intake if at all possible.

The reason I ask is because Tune+ sent me a message warning about the possibility of a collapsing intake coupler and also about the stock airbox being too restrictive. I'm on stock fuel and might be content with maxing out the stock fueling and calling it a day. I'd rather not throw anymore money at it if at all possible, but not looking to skimp on important stuff either . Thanks

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Can I run the stock airbox with just an upgraded air filter with the GT2860R at less than 300WHP? I recently removed and sold an Injen due to hating the noise, so I'd rather not go with a non-OEM intake if at all possible.

The reason I ask is because Tune+ sent me a message warning about the possibility of a collapsing intake coupler and also about the stock airbox being too restrictive. I'm on stock fuel and might be content with maxing out the stock fueling and calling it a day. I'd rather not throw anymore money at it if at all possible, but not looking to skimp on important stuff either . Thanks
If it's any consolation....I run the St200 airbox with a Ramair intake hose with no problems and I'm hitting near the 300whp door as far as I know.

I run the stock air box with a Cobb filter with my DHM kit, but I also have a ram air crossover pipe and whoosh induction hose.