Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch weird behavior

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Had a LSD installed by a shop the last couple of days (they are 350ish miles away). I had them change out the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder at the same time.

On the way home I noticed some odd clutch behavior:
*The pedal is easy to depress
*The pickup point is near the firewall
*On clutch release, the pedal hesitates about 1/2 way up, and then pops up the rest of the way.

If I cycle the clutch 6 times, the popping eventually goes away. The pickup point changes to about where it was before, further from the firewall. After 60 odd miles of driving the clutch is back to the bad behavior.

Is this fluid (bubbles) related? Something else? In addition, the transmission definitely makes a clunk when I shift into 1st gear with the clutch fully pressed and nothing is making that go away so far. I do like the change from Motol DCTF to Ravenol MTF (and I believe the tech put the full 2 liters in. I brought 3 but the 3rd looks unopened)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Had a LSD installed by a shop the last couple of days (they are 350ish miles away). I had them change out the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder at the same time.

On the way home I noticed some odd clutch behavior:
*The pedal is easy to depress
*The pickup point is near the firewall
*On clutch release, the pedal hesitates about 1/2 way up, and then pops up the rest of the way.

If I cycle the clutch 6 times, the popping eventually goes away. The pickup point changes to about where it was before, further from the firewall. After 60 odd miles of driving the clutch is back to the bad behavior.

Is this fluid (bubbles) related? Something else? In addition, the transmission definitely makes a clunk when I shift into 1st gear with the clutch fully pressed and nothing is making that go away so far. I do like the change from Motol DCTF to Ravenol MTF (and I believe the tech put the full 2 liters in. I brought 3 but the 3rd looks unopened)
Sounds like they did not properly bleed your clutch . If there are bubbles in the fluid in the master then you have air in the system still. It has nothing to do with the trans oil. The clunk may be related to getting your clutch to engage because of the air in the hydraulic system. It would make it harder to put into gear and could result in a clunk. First order is bleed the clutch system . Once that is done see if you still have that clunk and address it.
If the shop is 350 miles away and you cannot bleed the system yourself with a friend then I would find a local shop to bleed it for you.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like they did not properly bleed your clutch . If there are bubbles in the fluid in the master then you have air in the system still. It has nothing to do with the trans oil.
That was my thinking as well, but I figured I would access the hive mind. Also figured I would give all the info I have just in case something is relevant. Ill figure out how to bleed it this this weekend.

That was my thinking as well, but I figured I would access the hive mind. Also figured I would give all the info I have just in case something is relevant. Ill figure out how to bleed it this this weekend.
I’ll be bleeding mine as well this weekend on account of the reservoir above the battery was dry and I noticed the clutch felt like it wasn’t fully disengaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #5
An update for folks.. My commute is about 25 miles.. not long enough to exhibit the errant behavior. Since it is acting "normal" I will hold off on bleeding the system. I will update this post again when I take a longer drive to see if it comes back.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #7
Quite possible. It was new but that doesn't count for much.