Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

chattering noise from the front of the car.

So I just came back from a 1200 mile round trip from California to Utah and I've noticed that my Fiesta has devolved some sound. When I'm slowing down, I can hear an audible ticking or chattering noise from 20 mph to a stop. This only happens when I slow down without in gear and the ticking noise fades away as the vehicle stops.

I'm not sure what this noise is and I should take it to the dealership to get it checked, but I have Bilstein coil overs installed. Should I uninstall it before I take it?

Not sure if this helps, but it can't hurt, as it's easy to check.

My last car had a chattering/ticking noise occurring at certain rpms, and I couldn't figure it out. Took the stethoscope around the engine bay, couldn't find it. Finally, I had a friend get on the throttle while I was outside the car, and I found the cause:
At certain speeds/vibrations, the license plate was chattering against the license plate frame.

Probably not the cause of your issue, but if it is, there's no easier fix in the world.

Did you mount/dis-mount your wheels lately? I once had a similar sound (different car) at speeds under 20mph..... It was the wheel not fully seating on the hub-centric ring of the brake discs.

Taking them off, and making sure everything was on straight and torqued properly solved it.

-if you havent taken your wheels off, atleast re-tourque your lug nuts.

OP
chalituna
Thread Starter #4
Did you mount/dis-mount your wheels lately? I once had a similar sound (different car) at speeds under 20mph..... It was the wheel not fully seating on the hub-centric ring of the brake discs.

Taking them off, and making sure everything was on straight and torqued properly solved it.

-if you havent taken your wheels off, atleast re-tourque your lug nuts.
It's not the wheel seating properly. I also found out that the sound is more prominent when the car is warmer. On my next day off, I'm going to remove my coil overs and see if the sound comes back. If so I'm taking it to the dealership