Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do we share coil packs with the 5.0L mustang ?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Yea that question. Someone recently started selling upgraded coil packs for the old cyot motor, and honestly, we could better use it than these ( boosted vs Na ).

If we share the same coils, we could obviously have an upgrade for our cars that no one has thought of yet.

Just a shot(gun) in the dark :)

11-14 5.0 mustang coil pack ford part # DG542 13-14 fiesta 1.6 DG551 and the ecoboost 1.0 part #DG556 so im not sure what the difference is if its just the boot and spring wire or if there are other differences.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
11-14 5.0 mustang coil pack ford part # DG542 13-14 fiesta 1.6 DG551 and the ecoboost 1.0 part #DG556 so im not sure what the difference is if its just the boot and spring wire or if there are other differences.
I was thinking its prob the same coil with a different length/depth.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Think I saw the upgraded coils on "horsepower TV" but forget the name. I want to say they even dyno'd them and saw an improvement. But i can't be sure.

well it looks like this mod is a no go, i didn't even pull one off because they are much different then i imagined.

fiesta 1.6L ecoboost
coil1.jpg

2012 f-150 5.0L
coil2.jpg

iso100

1000 Post Club
Nice work but unless we're blowing out the spark and misfiring under boost why bother?

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Google "benefits of better spark". Answering that question would a lot of typing, and I'm sure plenty of "opinion" would be given and disputed. Its just better if you read for yourself from a different source.

It would be one of those things where people would say things like "i can make 400hp on a 2.5" exhaust", and other people would say, "you ever see a 400hp evo with a 2.5" exhaust?". Lol.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Nice work but unless we're blowing out the spark and misfiring under boost why bother?
Exactly this. Until there's dyno-proof of a gain this seems like throwing money into the wind. I could definitely be wrong, but these aren't the days where a coil had to supply the energy to fire all of the plugs in an engine. Even if there is some sort of gain, I can't see it being cost-beneficial on anything short of a fully-worked engine looking for every single available hp gain.

iso100

1000 Post Club
If you're running such high boost levels that you're forced to gap your plugs tighter and *still* blowing it out then a hotter coil would be beneficial.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I'm sure the mustang 5.0L motor gained power on the dyno, but the fiesta came with way better ones, lol.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
More trolling.... Which is why I'm not explaining.
Why do you automatically assume that people are trolling just because people understand the concept of how automotive systems work and don't just want to spend needless money on something that may not work work or may not justify the cost?

The reason forums exist is to spread knowledge. That doesn't mean that just because something is posted it is true or worthwhile. People aren't going to believe (hopefully) everything that is posted and (again, hopefully) people should want to have proof of either a need or a worthwhile gain. People that know automotive systems and people that don't are going to question modifications-that's just a fact. Every time you say that you aren't going to explain something you lose credibility.

Nobody said you're trying to sell anything and I don't understand why you constantly bring it up. I honestly appreciate people that are trying to push the platform forward, even though you won't believe me saying that. The difference is that I'm not the type of person that takes everything as being true and like to see legitimate evidence if it's something that is performance-related.

Keep trying new things-that's the only way a platform moves forward-just stop getting butt-hurt when people don't automatically follow your every word without questioning the science.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Our cars are not naturally aspirated, so you can't just assume we get the same gains...and that's on a V8 making significantly more power to start with...and it's only 'up to 13hp', not a guaranteed amount.

Holy crap, $600+!!!

Edit: Let's do the math and assume that for some reason the gains are constant between the Coyote and our Ecoboost.

13/412=0.031553

0.031553*197=6.31

So $605 for 'up to' 6.31 hp, or just a touch under $100 per hp.

Worth it? That's for the end-user to decide. And realistically speaking this math exercise is completely irrelevant because we don't have a normally-aspirated V8. Maybe we get more, maybe we get less. Either way, nobody is going to know without some legitimate before/after dyno charts.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I'm ignoring every post you make, and not even reading them...

In the mean time.. More info I'm post, not arguing.
If You really mean this there is a option to ignore in the profile settings it is called the ignore list if I recall....

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I owned a 5.0 and the factory coils were gd enough for the SC. Aftermarket coils are mostly a gimmick. Unless you are blowing out spark (even after regapping) then you need a spark amplifier.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
I do think we share the same plugs as the 5.0 and there are some higher performance plugs for it. Maybe not for any gain but just a better plug.