Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2109 Fiesta damaged ST wheel

So, I'm curious if this is a known problem with the factory wheels (see enclosed photo). I took my car to Costco to replace the tires and when I picked the car up I found one wheel badly damaged at the bead. Considering I hand wash the car, and never noticing a damaged wheel until I picked the car up, I assumed this was damaged by Costco. I completed paperwork and they reached out to me after discussing with their staff that I had a faulty wheel and should address with Ford. So my question to the community is, does this sound right to you? IMG_0343.jpg

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Not a faulty wheel. They just chipped and scraped the paint off. It doesn't really look like it was curbed--there's usually metal chipped away then. Paint could have had a crack from prior mounting and when they ran their tool to mount the tire it pulled the chip up.

LostInTransit

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Poorly painted from who ever you bought the wheels from. This could have been powder coated and NOT simply painted. Best thing now, take the wheels back or take them to a powder coated where they will strip the paint off and re-powder coat it correctly. If this was done at costco.. then costco tech are at fault here. I will also say that when the shop mounted the tire, their machine did this damage while scoring the edge of the bead of the tire. Get the wheels refinished and find a better shop to mount your tires.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That happened to all my wheels when my assistant was taking cars to the car wash and used one where it grabs the car and pushes it along the little rails :\ happened when new.

TBH I Did make it a lot worse driving through deep gravel for a few months, my stock wheels are totally effed

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
Thank you for your responses - Very helpful, it doesn't seem to be an issue with other users here. To provide more details, the car only has 18k miles on it, and these are factory wheels, so first tire change and original rims.
Costco rep is claiming Ford has a known defective product called PVD Physical Vapor Deposition. When I look online, the only finish I found with this technology is Chrome so not sure if these wheels even fall under that category?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Thank you for your responses - Very helpful, it doesn't seem to be an issue with other users here. To provide more details, the car only has 18k miles on it, and these are factory wheels, so first tire change and original rims.
Costco rep is claiming Ford has a known defective product called PVD Physical Vapor Deposition. When I look online, the only finish I found with this technology is Chrome so not sure if these wheels even fall under that category?
These wheels are just painted. The PVD is what they use on the "chrome" wheels on the pickups. I have that on my 2018 F150's wheels. There have been some problems with PVD bubbling up though I haven't seen it on mine. But they never used it on the Fiesta, and these wheels aren't chrome anyway.

OP
J
Thread Starter #8
Thanks again for those who responded - I appreciate your insight. It's been crickets regarding a response from Costco's agency so I'll see if I can find someone to repaint the rim and move on. The hassle, cost, and now the gas lighting is such a disappointment...

My very first job was working for Sohio as a pump attendant and mechanic. For those who don't know what Sohio was Google it. PArt of that job was repairing and mounting tires. At one point I set the record for mounting and balancing a complete set of tires in 12 minutes and that was done with a bubble balancer. Yeah, when a customer asked for a "special" service we did out best to meet their needs.

Needless to say I would NOT EVER let this ride. The technician screwed up and damaged your wheel, no if's, and's or but's about it, this was done by a technician not following established procedure for mounting this tire. Since they been Ghosting you I would go to the Small Claims Court and file a claim for damages. BTW in this case damages are the cost of a new matching wheel, which won't be cheap. However it will typically be less than 1000 dollars so it's eligible for a Small Claims Court filing. Once that is done make a copy or your paperwork and take it to the manager at Costco and present him with a copy for your filing "to act as a reminder that notice will be coming". Note, that will get him talking about a settlement and don't let him off easy. You want a check for a brand new wheel plus the sales tax on that wheel. In addition you also want a 40% discount on that set of tires you just purchased. Stick it too him and he will make sure that some future customer doesn't have to deal with similar damage. Yes, that tech will probably lose his job but that's not much of a loss. Because the very first thing he should have done after damaging your wheel was report it to management and own up to the damage.