Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Simple mod to raise shifter for better reach and fixing arm rest to elbow issue

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Simple mod to raise shifter for beter reach and fixing arm rest to elbow issue

This is a pretty easy mod, you can do it without taking out the console but a bit tight, take it out and then super easy.

There is enough cable length to allow this without binding them, I have not done mine yet but have done other cars and loved the results.

IT DOES NOT change the shift through, if you want an SS it will not effect it, does not cost much and does not weigh much.

1) unbolt shifter from tunnel
2) unbolt sensor in front of shifter from tunnel
3) install longer bolts in sensor mount holes with spacers to raise it out of the way for the shifter cables
4) flip the shifter nuts over or use none washer type simpler nuts, install to leave 6mm or so thread on the factory studs
5) install M6x1.0 coupling nuts, tighten to the stock or simpler nuts
6) install shifter, bolt down with some short M6 bolts

Approx height gain is 25.4mm, 1 inch

Option 1) use spacers and longer bolts to raise shifter higher up, I would not go real high but 2" should be fine, perhaps higher.

Option 2) the shifter mount is in two parts so we can raise it a bit from both possibly and the top section has rubber isolators I will look into, if not to much added vibration into the shifter I might make some solid bushings and raise it up a well.

I am going to do this to my car and will see what I can do to make this as easy and low cost as possible in case any of my fellow enthusiasts want to do the same

If you have ever driven a car at speed where you needed to shift a bunch you would want this mod.......

-----------------

I plan on building my own SS kit, not for sale, making it as short a throw as I can, adding a longer shift knob or lengthening the steel lever by cutting and welding then raising the whole shifter, the closer it is the the steering wheel the better.

Have a great day
Rick