Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AIRTEC fmic review + install + logs

razorlab

1000 Post Club
After looking around at the current FMIC offerings for the Fiesta ST, I zeroed in on the AIRTEC FMIC for my Fiesta ST.

The problem with my search is there is almost ZERO data out there on them so far. Sure there are photos and dimensions and things like "Cooler, much wow" but actual data is hard to come by.

I decided to just go for it.

Reasons:

1. It filled the front lower opening completely, like stock.
2. Nice end tank design
3. Size
4. Price

Only problem is you have to order it from the UK. Which wasn't really a problem, since it literally took only TWO DAYS to get to me from the UK after placing the order. Great service!

Anyway, I have install photos and logs in my Fiesta ST build thread but I figured I would also create this thread for people searching for FMIC info.

Fit great, easy install. There are only three things you have to remove to get it to fit perfect and that is three bolts underneath that would otherwise hit the core and eventually wear through it. So wonder no more, this FMIC fits USDM Fiestas no problem! With the bumper cover on, it looks exactly like stock, which is exactly what I wanted. :)

Does it work? Hell yes it does.

Here are two datalogs, OEM FMIC vs AIRTEC FMIC. It was the closest to the same temp log I could find. It was a couple degrees cooler for the OEM FMIC log and as you can see, the AIRTEC still kicked its ass.

Red is AIRTEC, green is OEM.

Starting temp OEM: 77F
Ending temp OEM: 99F
Temp increase: 22F

Starting temp AIRTEC: 79F
Ending temp AIRTEC: 83F
Temp increase: 4F

Ambient temp for both logs - Approx 70-74F

Install photos:

OEM:

Airtec:

Tight fit but fits perfect:

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
So much win in this thread for doing this...great job. Repped

FocusMike

Excellent post, did you get a chance to weigh the two to see how much the difference was? What was the final cost with shipping from the UK?

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Excellent post, did you get a chance to weigh the two to see how much the difference was? What was the final cost with shipping from the UK?
$604 shipped
18.73lbs shipping weight so I imagine the FMIC is right around 18lbs

Did not weigh the stock FMIC but I can.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Great work on the review. $604 shipped is such a great price.

MOFiST

So glad I bought one of these also. I'll be installing it later this week. I can see why your happy with it as am I. Very solid unit. [driving]

airjor13

2000 Post Club
very nice information and review, I think you helped me make my decision, I really like the Airtec design and the price is very reasonable considering its shipped from the UK.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Some more data for you all.

Here is a quick little 3rd and 4th gear pull on a curved hwy on-ramp. I may or may not have been playing around with a RS4 in front of me. ;)

Ambient temp was approx 70F

Charge Temp starts at 73.8F
Charge Temp ends at 78.1F when I let off at 4400rpm in 4th for a 4.3F temp increase

I had posted the same type of log awhile back with the OEM FMIC and the charge temp increase was about 25F!

IAT starts at 73.4F, ends at 72F. Notice the approx 2F spike on gear shift. Makes sense since the intake isn't sucking in air at that point.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Here is another. Sitting at idle in traffic with that nice running motor making lots of heat.

Charge Air Temp is basically 118F
Intake Air Temp is basically 120F

Notice the similarities between the two. ;)

Now, as soon as the car starts moving....

Charge Temp drops much quicker than IAT, since the FMIC is out there in fresh air and the intake is still surrounded by hot stuff.

Charge Temp drops from 118F to 88F
Intake Temp drops from 121F to 100F

Very interesting findings. Do you have any plans in the future to switch to an aftermarket intake? (apologies if you've already answered this elsewhere) Perhaps something like the Mountune or upcoming Cobb release?

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Very interesting findings. Do you have any plans in the future to switch to an aftermarket intake? (apologies if you've already answered this elsewhere) Perhaps something like the Mountune or upcoming Cobb release?
No plans for aftermarket intake....with the stock turbo.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Did some more logging today on a "spirited drive" through my favorite local twisty road. It's about 11 miles of driving. The second half of the log is not in clean air, it's drafting air from the rear of a new Camaro and you can see it reflected in the log. ;)

The AIRTEC FMIC still seems to have been an excellent choice, as you can see the charge temps never really sway more than 10* either way and are VERY close to being directly inline with the intake temps.

That said. I think it might be time for a larger turbo... this car is pretty capable and it running out of breath with this toy turbo is really limiting it.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Good info thanks and Agreed the limit is the turbo over 4800 rpm it falls off quick . Lot a bad thing just the limits of the stock turbo.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Good info thanks and Agreed the limit is the turbo over 4800 rpm it falls off quick . Lot a bad thing just the limits of the stock turbo.
Yea if you notice in the log I don't even bother going over 5400rpm anymore.

The power band is a little frustrating for me since I'm so used to my Evos that have a ton of top end. However I knew the car had a dinky turbo so I knew what I was getting myself into. Must...resist...urge...to....purchase.....ATP.....GTX2860R....

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Fit great, easy install. There are only three things you have to remove to get it to fit perfect and that is three bolts underneath that would otherwise hit the core and eventually wear through it. So wonder no more, this FMIC fits USDM Fiestas no problem! With the bumper cover on, it looks exactly like stock, which is exactly what I wanted. :)
Great writeup....

However, I have one question I don't think was ever answered (excuse me if it was earlier on but I just can't seem to find it)......I see you mentioned that you chose to remove and not replace the 3 bolts located underneath in order to prevent possible IC damage from vibration (I'm assuming)...What was the purpose of having the 3 bolts installed on the stock setup to begin with? thanks!

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Great writeup....

However, I have one question I don't think was ever answered (excuse me if it was earlier on but I just can't seem to find it)......I see you mentioned that you chose to remove and not replace the 3 bolts located underneath in order to prevent possible IC damage from vibration (I'm assuming)...What was the purpose of having the 3 bolts installed on the stock setup to begin with? thanks!
They are the mounts for the bottom plastic air guide shown below. OEM it has two bolts for each mount, you take one out of each to fit the FMIC. Still works fine to support the air guide.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
OIC now....thanks! So the lower plastic air guide is still supported but just with one bolt for each of the 3 mounts rather than 2 bolts per mount...correct?