Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MBRP 409 Stainless 3" Exhaust Install and Interior Audio Clip

Thanks Iso for the install write up and review, the MBRP exhaust has been on my short list.

Mbrp has been one of my favorite exhaust set ups. Since I had out on my 1st gen Focus

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Update: finally was able to do some extended highway driving and there's no drone at 60 and 70 mph. Yay!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I only do business with vendors. [readthis]
Its a pretty nice kit, I am surprised we haven't sold out yet..
To be fair HORSEPOWER DIRECT has inquired about Vendor Status I am not sure where we are on the as the contact person is away on Business at the moment. And I am still learing the ropes as we have one main contact person to make sure we do it once and do it right..
So we have that going for us right ?? ;)
Happy Labor Day weekend to all that have a long weekend and Happy weekend to those that are just enjoying the last weekend in August..

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
YEG I like the MRT one in low rpms judging by the videos but when you get into the revs the mbrp sounds way better and as much as I'd love my car to sound great down low because I mostly want people hearing me when I'm pulling out of parking lots the higher rpms is where it defines a gross ricer car or a nice one lol

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
I'm still working on making my ST purchase. Didn't have any luck this weekend. When I do, my first mod is the exhaust. Is your system as loud as this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0pbvDSBYAMY
I am going to say no. The MRT is deff. For guys who are coming from a Honda with a rice can on the back. Personally if i was 16 again i would love it . The mbrp is smoother and beeper from what ive heard

TheStig

I am going to say no. The MRT is deff. For guys who are coming from a Honda with a rice can on the back. Personally if i was 16 again i would love it . The mbrp is smoother and beeper from what ive heard
Wouldnt compare the MRT to a Honda, hondas are much lounder with no mufflers or resonaters since they are NA. I personally think the MRT sounds great, if you were driving it as a track car every other weekend. It will drone wayyyy too much to have as your daily or only car.

Ive had a 99 Civic SI with a Buddy Club Spec 2 exhaust (no resonators or mufflers) and it was ear splitting loud but lord did it sing at 9 grand.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Not to ask the obvious, but the cutting of the stock exhaust was for easier removal correct?
You literally can't remove the exhaust at all unless you cut it... or unless you drop the rear suspension. I have a feeling the exhaust goes on the car before the twist beam when they're built at the factory.

Ok so I have a drone issue with my current system. I like it in general, but I need to change it out because the drone between about 2800 and 4000 RPM (part throttle accel or decel) is killing me slowly LOL. You did mention some drone/resonance with the MBRP system. Can you characterize that a little more for me? Also, what's the main difference between the 304 stainless and the 409? Any particular reason you went with the 409?

If you listen to this video on a system with some bass you can hear the drone overdriving the cell phone mic badly during deceleration:

[video=youtube_share;ZOp93mNYXGY]http://youtu.be/ZOp93mNYXGY[/video]

Thanks!

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
I say it's just about how you describe it and how the video shows. With the windows down, it's pretty loud.

Seems to be a factor of the pipe size, resonator size/shape and RPM combined with the size of the passenger cabin. For me, however, I'm fine with it. With windows up it's actually hardly noticeable and on the highway at a constant speed it's nearly silent.

The only difference between 304 and 409 is the type of metal it's made with. Both are stainless and shouldn't rust but the 304 will stay shiny and won't slowly turn brown with use. Since it's under the car and all of the options come with 304 tips, I saw no need to pay extra. I don't believe the material has any effect on drone or resonance.

It may be possible to add an additional resonator after the one it comes with to lessen the drone further. Might be worth trying that instead of taking the hit of selling a used aftermarket exhaust.