Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which Fiesta ST Exhaust System did you purchase?

Which Fiesta ST Exhaust System did you purchase?

• 2J-Racing

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • Borla

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Cobb

Votes: 82 19.1%
  • Custom Performance Engineering

Votes: 27 6.3%
  • FSWerks

Votes: 37 8.6%
  • Magnaflow

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • MBRP

Votes: 82 19.1%
  • Milltek

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • MRT Rally Sport

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Scorpian

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Injen

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Modern Automotive Performance

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • Mountune

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Custom

Votes: 16 3.7%
  • TSUDO

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 9.3%

• Total voters
I'm very much on the fence about exhausts. I very much dislike low and bassy sounding exhausts, I'd prefer something more distinctive. Considering the CPE exhaust but their in car video was botched so I have no idea how it sounds in the car with the windows down - not really willing to spend that much money on an unknown.

Drove a car with the famed Cobb catback, and I absolutely hated it. Sure it didn't drone and it looked nice, but it was boomy, loud and indistinct, driving the car hard resulted in tons of bassy echo in the cabin. Horrible. Didn't sound like an engine note, just a loud bass boom. I want an exhaust to hear the engine not just loud noises for the fun of it.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Wow, I've never actually heard that about the Cobb. The Cobb, to me, is one of the most "un-boomy" exhausts I've heard. I love mine. No drone and sounds amazing when at WOT but quiet when cruising on the highway.

Good luck though trying to find a quieter one.

Wow, I've never actually heard that about the Cobb. The Cobb, to me, is one of the most "un-boomy" exhausts I've heard. I love mine. No drone and sounds amazing when at WOT but quiet when cruising on the highway.

Good luck though trying to find a quieter one.
Everyone seems to love theirs which is why I was so shocked. It was very quiet at idle, silent when cruising, but when at WOT with the windows down it reverberated in the cabin in a truly horrendous way. So basically the only thing I could hear was a loud boom but no exhaust noise.

maperformance

I'm very much on the fence about exhausts. I very much dislike low and bassy sounding exhausts, I'd prefer something more distinctive. Considering the CPE exhaust but their in car video was botched so I have no idea how it sounds in the car with the windows down - not really willing to spend that much money on an unknown.

Drove a car with the famed Cobb catback, and I absolutely hated it. Sure it didn't drone and it looked nice, but it was boomy, loud and indistinct, driving the car hard resulted in tons of bassy echo in the cabin. Horrible. Didn't sound like an engine note, just a loud bass boom. I want an exhaust to hear the engine not just loud noises for the fun of it.
How does this one sound?

[video=youtube;Tfqx4P2pJ_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfqx4P2pJ_Y[/video]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club

You may want to look into the MAPerformance exhaust system that is coming out soon. If I didn't already have the Scorpion system, I'd buy the new MAP one. It looks and sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfqx4P2pJ_Y

How does this one sound?
I really wanted to like the MAP exhaust, but it sounds pretty deep and bassy to me which makes me think it will sound a lot like the Cobb. I'm a huge fan of its construction and performance, but I have never liked really low toned exhausts. Something sharper without the excessive bass is much better to my ears. However video mics almost never record exhaust sound accurately, and I know of no local people with anything besides the Cobb to compare.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
You may want to look into the MAPerformance exhaust system that is coming out soon. If I didn't already have the Scorpion system, I'd buy the new MAP one. It looks and sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfqx4P2pJ_Y
I personally think Cobb's and MAP's sound exactly the same. At least from posted videos, only difference I've noticed is when you add a DP to the Cobb one. Haven't heard a MAP exhaust with a DP yet. So if he doesn't like Cobb's I highly doubt he'll like MAPs.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I personally think Cobb's and MAP's sound exactly the same. At least from posted videos, only difference I've noticed is when you add a DP to the Cobb one. Haven't heard a MAP exhaust with a DP yet. So if he doesn't like Cobb's I highly doubt he'll like MAPs.
mmmmn, I dunno. The Cobb exhaust sounds much more like a UPS truck at low rpm which I don't like at all. That is most likely due the Cobb system not utilizing a resonator.

That was my exact fear. However the MAP exhaust sounds awesome on the exterior video - it's the idle and revs where it reminds me of the Cobb.

It could be that because of the hatchback design of the car any exhaust is going to reverberate in the cabin in an unpleasant way. I much prefer to hear the exhaust from outside the car, not hear bass waves bouncing around the hatch area. Perhaps I need to really go to town with sound deadening in the hatch before I even consider an exhaust. I would have liked the Cobb if the loud boom in the cabin hadn't completely drowned out all other sounds when you pinned the throttle. If anything it was a little too quiet when you didn't have your foot in it.

When I remove the cargo floor and fold the seats even my stock exhaust with the resonator deleted can sound somewhat boomy in car. I haven't ever owned a hatchback car before so this is all new to me.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
That was my exact fear. However the MAP exhaust sounds awesome on the exterior video - it's the idle and revs where it reminds me of the Cobb.

It could be that because of the hatchback design of the car any exhaust is going to reverberate in the cabin in an unpleasant way. I much prefer to hear the exhaust from outside the car, not hear bass waves bouncing around the hatch area. Perhaps I need to really go to town with sound deadening in the hatch before I even consider an exhaust. I would have liked the Cobb if the loud boom in the cabin hadn't completely drowned out all other sounds when you pinned the throttle. If anything it was a little too quiet when you didn't have your foot in it.

When I remove the cargo floor and fold the seats even my stock exhaust with the resonator deleted can sound somewhat boomy in car. I haven't ever owned a hatchback car before so this is all new to me.
What you are hearing is more or less due to the engine design (cam profiles, timing/combustion sequence), which gives any particular motor certain signature "frequency" noise. For instance, boxer engines (horizontally opposed) have a distinct sound, as do the Nissan/Infiniti 3.5/3.7L V6 VQ engines. Much of this has to do with cam timing and firing order as well as other built in design features. The Fiesta ST motor has it's own distinct sound as well, but keep in mine it is a 4 cylinder. At my old age I tend to dislike high frequency exhaust notes and tend to prefer low to mid range frequency noise. This is more true for small displacement engines. This is a BIG reason I went with the Scorpion system. It converts that "signature" exhaust note into a more exotic car exhaust note. Not raspy, not tinny, but also not boomy and absolutely no resonating drone anywhere. But, in hindsite, the 2.5" system might have been a better choice because while Scorpion advertises the 3" system out performing their 2.5" system, cars in THEIR domestic market use MAF and not speed density like USDM FiSTs do. I found out in 1989 just how much better a MAF car responded to mods (without a corresponding tune) than with a MAP system and no tune. I had a cammed and ported '88 Mustang LX 5.0 that did not respond well (very little gain in power, idling issues etc) and then ran a B303 cam and GT40 heads/intake on an '89 which came with a mass airflow sensor and it ran REALLY REALLY well. With that said I kind of wish we got MAF on the Fiestas as I believe they would respond differently (ie: better) when adding bolt-ons.

maperformance

I unhooked the sound symposer the other day with our exhaust, and a lot of the reverberations in the cabin were eliminated. The frequency of the engine noise maker and the exhaust are pretty equal in the drivers position and it creates a very bassy effect as you speak.

It is hard to get these cars to sound higher pitch, even with a straight through exhaust. I think the only way to achieve a higher note is to go with a turbo upgrade with a tubular manifold with fairly long runners.

I unhooked the sound symposer the other day with our exhaust, and a lot of the reverberations in the cabin were eliminated. The frequency of the engine noise maker and the exhaust are pretty equal in the drivers position and it creates a very bassy effect as you speak.

It is hard to get these cars to sound higher pitch, even with a straight through exhaust. I think the only way to achieve a higher note is to go with a turbo upgrade with a tubular manifold with fairly long runners.
That is definitely plausible. I'll have to look into eliminating it if it competes with the exhaust creating an unpleasant amount of noise inside the cabin. When you release your exhaust I'm on board to try it out, especially if it comes in at a better price than the CPE I was looking at. Excited to see it in production!

maperformance

That is definitely plausible. I'll have to look into eliminating it if it competes with the exhaust creating an unpleasant amount of noise inside the cabin. When you release your exhaust I'm on board to try it out, especially if it comes in at a better price than the CPE I was looking at. Excited to see it in production!
Price is 699.99 shipped. First 5 kits will get a 10% discount for feedback. I already have 3 people set to purchase soon as we start production which is about a week from now.

Av purchase one from a company in Glasgow call c c exhaust getting it fitted so Al try and upload a video lets yous all hear it!

GAbOS

MAPerfomance's system sounds more natural to the 1.6 than any other system so far to me. Bonus on keeping it real and for numbers in your tune.

Can one order a quieter custom/longer resonator with this pre-order along with single wall/sing tip? Just give it a good coat of whatever high heat spray you have laying around.

;>

You don't want it to sound natural that's why you buy an exhaust system to make it louder and to hear they pops and hangings [emoji108]

GAbOS

You don't want it to sound natural that's why you buy an exhaust system to make it louder and to hear they pops and hangings [emoji108]
This post is so wrong in so many ways. I could list the number of ways that a car's natural sound can make your ear drums drool.

This is why Subaru' sound like lawnmowers instead of WRC.

Why wouldn't you want your FiST to sound like one? Buy the wrong car?