Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How-To: Remove your turbocharger

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
ya my hero3 was new and it took 2 weeks to get it to turn on with the software glitch they had at the time.. hmmm a 1 should do better than that i have heard.. Bummer was hoping for a walk thru Video...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
It would have been ugly anyway... I forgot to bring a hex to swap the BOV's and I forgot that the stock turbo was not modded for the tighter EFR wastegate, so I had to stop and run to the stop in the middle of it. I wanted to have it in "one take", and also have an edited broken down condensed version.

My car is lacking its heat shield and its been apart a few times, so my car would be a poor example, it would/will take longer on a virgin car, but not by much at all.

Its not just you guys one of my bolts came stripped from the factory too. My downpipe is held on by 2 bolts too, waiting for the weekend and getting back on the lift. I got to re adjust the exhaust as its rubbing on the brace and vibrating, and i gotta run a tap through the stipped thread.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
I think the casting just settles oddly after being extreme heat cycled a few times. Like it will prob go away and not come back after you tap it.

I think the casting just settles oddly after being extreme heat cycled a few times. Like it will prob go away and not come back after you tap it.
I hope not but It was such a pain and I need to re tighten the DP bolts to make sure they dont come loose.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
Videos up soon. Took me 19min and 22sec to remove the turbo unit, and while I didn't look at the timer on the go-pro, it felt like 15-20min before I started the car.

Video will be a bit boring, and its a stationary shot mostly, but... It
Happened. Just have to move them from my go-pro to laptop to youtube. Also have more cyborg punishment videos too coming.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Its saying like 300 minutes left, lol. My wifi is a tiny bit slow

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
I steal wifi from the "club house" that is 60ft from my bedroom, lol. I have to put the laptop in the window to get signal, lol. So I'm stealing "free wifi".

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #54
I watched a bit of it. Its pretty damn boring. I not speak almost at all. I don't say WTH I'm doing. Its is a pretty poor. The second round of videos will be the install. Its very boring as well. But it also shows the turbo going in, and the car starting up like 20min later, lol.

Its also poor because I don't touch on every bolt 99.99% of people WILL have to touch. My cowling stays off ( I actually pay for it as you'll see in the video, I shear the wastegate rod trying to remove the adjustment nut, but it was actually planned, I knew it was coming ). My heat shield is retired for now. And I know exactly what tool for EVERY bolt on the whole deal.

More of the point to show, a notice with some tools and some time can do this in a day, if i can do it in 20min x 2.

Edit: the video quality is pretty good though !! Lol.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #55
It stopped moving at 12%... I'll upload load it when I get some faster speeds ( aka verizon fios )

MOFiST

Just an idea you could insert an audio over lay of what your doing (like commentary) over the top of your vid. Maybe do a few cuts? Could be funny? lol

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #57
I'm doing good to post videos, lol. I'm not very good with computer stuff, I just don't have the time to stare at the screens with stuff is converting or rendering or whatever. Took me like 4'months to start using virtual dyno, lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great thread, great help, this really is not a hard turbo to take off and it is a better place to have it instead of the front of the engine. I have removed rear turbos, built one system, with far less room, this car is easy!

-------------

Note: If pulling the manifold or turbine housing for porting you can leave the whole turbo on the manifold and pull it out as one unit, I have done this several times, not much more work, I have done it from the top and under the car.

------------

5/16" is an 8mm, at least what I always use.

If are looking to buy tools, racheting wrenches are one of the best tools you will ever use.