Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Modding to keep the warranty

OP
Slimer
Thread Starter #21
I see the Mountune stuff is not showing up under Ford Racing, but other Fiesta stuff for non ST's is.
When i dug deeper i had to go to the mountune Canada website and crossreference the part numbers.
I did the same for the Ford Racing stuff as well.
In the UK they get a factory option called Ford Fiesta ST3 Mountune MP215. Its basically a tune and an intake. This is the tune they are offering through mountune. Beyond that there is an intercooler, some suspension (although i suspect its for the basic Fiesta) and an exhaust. Ford's warranty is maintained full as long as you do not change the cat. This is ok as its the resonator that hampers performance the most. I would assume that any after-cat system would provide a few ponies and at the very least make our cars sound like they deserve. Just a muffler change wont do it, I tried...

Any updates on this? I would love to open up the air system on this car (no cat-delete as I already have cars like this) and tune it without voiding warranty.

OP
Slimer
Thread Starter #23
Any updates on this? I would love to open up the air system on this car (no cat-delete as I already have cars like this) and tune it without voiding warranty.
The part numbers listed on the document are the ones that you want to search.
They will either be mountune or FRPP. Search on both sites and you will find them ;)

The part numbers listed on the document are the ones that you want to search.
They will either be mountune or FRPP. Search on both sites and you will find them ;)
Ok thanks. I was more or less inquiring as to any further experience at the service department or Ford Canada with these parts.

OP
Slimer
Thread Starter #25
Ok thanks. I was more or less inquiring as to any further experience at the service department or Ford Canada with these parts.
My mistake.
I have been in contact with Ford both on this forum via PM and in person at dealerships. I will update when i have something more substantial, but it would seem that the document would be a binding contract. There are no caveats in there that would make me worry.

Does anyone know if tuning and adding parts will also affect the Ford extended service package. I purchased one of these when I bought the car and absolutely love it but now I want to get an Cobb Accessport and don't know if this will void my extended service.

I too was worried about the fact it could void the warranty so I asked Cobb directly. Here's the answer I got :

''When the Accessport is properly uninstalled using the Uninstall option from the main menu, the ECU is reverted exactly back to stock. In our experience, the dealership is not able to tell if the ECU has been flashed. However, with that said, the AP is not designed to go around any kind of warranty coverage and there may be diagnostics at a much higher level we are unaware of. At the end of the day, it really comes down to how your local dealer handles modifications to the car: some don't mind a few mods and others don't like any.'' -John from Cobb Support

So I bought one last week and I'm uber satisfied. The throttle response is wayyyyy better.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Your warranty will cover everything on the entire car with mods. Until it breaks... Once it breaks... That's when your warranty is void. Lol.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Well I ordered the MP215 and the Ford Racing CAT Back. Both are listed to not void warranty. I got the install included in the price but I will see if they will let me do it with them "reviewing" the work or doing the tune via the accessport from COBB er Mountune. Even two dealer's stated as long as they are not the cause, but suggested they do the tune to avoid Ford stating it was done wrong. I will sleep more on it. [MENTION=1427]Slimer[/MENTION] keep us posted. I would rather not bother the [MENTION=1539]FordServiceCA[/MENTION] rep if you already started the inquiry. But i'm a tenacious sort that don't mind talking legalese and corporate america and well can get along with most of them very well. Was trained but a very suave sales guy. :D

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ford will keep your warranty intact if they install the mods, until the car breaks.

By "as long as its not the cause" means...... "As long as your willing to get a lawyer and sue us and force us to fix it".

When your sliding your debit card or writing that check, its one story. When your clutch explodes while your driving at 65mph in 6th with the cruise control on, THEN the tune will be why the clutch exploded.

If your intercooler blows apart, it will be cause the aggressive natural of the tune.

If your lug nuts come off while driving, it will be because the increase in torque from the exhaust caused the nuts to come loose.

If your radiator gets cogged it will be because the tune made the engine work harder, increased heat, and causes parts of gasket inside the motor to come apart, clogging the radiator.

Point is..... You will always have a warranty until you try to use it. They can pretty much say anything they want to blame issues "caused by the tune" and that's it... Unless you get a lawyer.

My advice is.... Accept that almost nothing will ever be warrantied on the car or.... Leave it BONE FACTORY STOCK.

Dodge once told me that water injection caused my CV AXLE BOOT ( BOOT !!!! ) to break...

Ford recently refused to replace my cv axle because the car had an intercooler and downpipe.... They didn't even try to submit it to ford. They said ford would see pics ( because they require pics of the car ) of the intercooler and deny the warranty.

Anyway.... Don't trust a dealer to help you. Don't expect to have a warranty at all. And don't say you were not warned. :)

Good news is.... The fist is pretty tough, odds are on your side that it WILL NOT break. But if it does.... I hope I'm wrong.

At this point, I'm about convinced that if I took my car to the dealership with a broken parking brake cable, it would be denied because of the intercooler ( like an intercooler alone could ever cause more of a power increase than driving in 20 degree weather ).

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Wow sorry to hear about your experiences. I would say I have never been treated like that and it sounds like the dealership is not very service oriented. If that was me I escalate this. The [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] rep here is great and has helped many from what I have read. May worth a try. She does obviously know what we do here. We are enthusiast not the run on the mill car driver. Also considering Ford sells inter coolers, tunes, cat backs etc... with factory warranty they know the car can handle it.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ford sells an intercooler?

Meagan is kick@ass. I love her. Ultimately, my broken axle was my fault. BUT the dealership did not know that. They know a car showed up in there service lane, and they didn't want to fix it because its a fwd turbocharge 4 cylinder.

Have you read about guys with BONE STOCK cars that had real honest clutch issues and the dealer gives them the "run around" and everything they can do to get out of fixing it. Imagine the warm feelings you'd get with "warranty friendly" mods in the same situation.

Butterybunz

Yeah I'm pretty worried about installing an intercooler since its so obvious and not easy to swap in and out. A downpipe can be swapped to factory pretty quickly.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Ford sells an intercooler?

situation.
Yes. Its the mountune one but covered under warranty also a cat back (borla), a tune (mountune), all air intake hoses, etc.. Everything with the blue check box is factory covered others have their own warranty.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/search.asp?q=fiesta

Again I really think the issue is the archaic dealer, not representative of the manufacturer (ANY manufacturer not just Ford) . I would walk away and find a better one and have found many. I actually go to a Ford dealer for a GM vehicle because they have respect for their customers. Vice versa I had a real pain in the but Ford dealer in Toronto that was always trying to up sell me. hated that I came in prepared with my information. The current Ford delear I use have replaced tail light bulbs for free (not in warranty). Tried to actually fix (clean an air intake manifold) something instead of doing the easier for them more expensive for me part swap. Money talks find a dealer that respects you and respect them they will work with you. I find the small town guies as better as they cannot last long if they have a bad rep.

Canadian which dealer is this? I would support that dealer by having my vehicle serviced there too.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Canadian which dealer is this? I would support that dealer by having my vehicle serviced there too.
Brandon Ford in Uxbridge. They mainly deal with Trucks and SUVs. Though I wanted a Focus when I asked to see the Fiesta. :D But they are great guys and gals. I did not buy the FiST from them because I found a deal I could not walk away from when all I wanted to do was a test drive.. [:o] But will be taking the Fist there. There was another dealer I liked near London when I was in the area but can't remember their name. I have worked as a support personnel and I find what I bring to the conversation is what I get. If i am polite and try to explain my point while listening to their point, asking how can I help myself, build a rapport you get things. If you walk in guns a blazing forget it. Also walk in the dealership see what kind of awards they have posted. One with high sales award but few customer service awards are great to buy the car but maybe not to get a service done.

OP
Slimer
Thread Starter #37
I will sleep more on it. [MENTION=1427]Slimer[/MENTION] keep us posted. I would rather not bother the [MENTION=1539]FordServiceCA[/MENTION] rep if you already started the inquiry.
If you have the time, feel free to contact them. I havent pushed the issue and havent heard back in quite some time.

...If that was me I escalate this. The [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] rep here is great and has helped many from what I have read. May worth a try. She does obviously know what we do here...
...Meagan is kick@ass. I love her...

Gwarsh. Thanks guys!

Meagan

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Ford will keep your warranty intact if they install the mods, until the car breaks.

By "as long as its not the cause" means...... "As long as your willing to get a lawyer and sue us and force us to fix it".

When your sliding your debit card or writing that check, its one story. When your clutch explodes while your driving at 65mph in 6th with the cruise control on, THEN the tune will be why the clutch exploded.

If your intercooler blows apart, it will be cause the aggressive natural of the tune.

If your lug nuts come off while driving, it will be because the increase in torque from the exhaust caused the nuts to come loose.

If your radiator gets cogged it will be because the tune made the engine work harder, increased heat, and causes parts of gasket inside the motor to come apart, clogging the radiator.

Point is..... You will always have a warranty until you try to use it. They can pretty much say anything they want to blame issues "caused by the tune" and that's it... Unless you get a lawyer.

My advice is.... Accept that almost nothing will ever be warrantied on the car or.... Leave it BONE FACTORY STOCK.

Dodge once told me that water injection caused my CV AXLE BOOT ( BOOT !!!! ) to break...

Ford recently refused to replace my cv axle because the car had an intercooler and downpipe.... They didn't even try to submit it to ford. They said ford would see pics ( because they require pics of the car ) of the intercooler and deny the warranty.

Anyway.... Don't trust a dealer to help you. Don't expect to have a warranty at all. And don't say you were not warned. :)

Good news is.... The fist is pretty tough, odds are on your side that it WILL NOT break. But if it does.... I hope I'm wrong.

At this point, I'm about convinced that if I took my car to the dealership with a broken parking brake cable, it would be denied because of the intercooler ( like an intercooler alone could ever cause more of a power increase than driving in 20 degree weather ).
Sorry for your problems.....however the Ford warranty information and press releases have been pretty clear on the subject. The FFRP warranty even covers the Mountune products installed by the Dealer. So any of the clearly defined parts covered by this WILL NOT VOID your warranty. How ever if you install for example Cobb hardware and tune and you have power train failures you will not get warranty service without you or the manufacturer proving the part could not have caused the problem. Things like cat back systems the larger companies like Borla have fought these battles and won. As to the FIST the MP215, inter cooler, shift kit and a couple of other item are all that is approved. Mountune says their Cat back will also be covered when it gets here. The Catted down pipe may also soon be approved if site rumors are correct.