Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Virtual Dyno Results Thread

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Need to do a V-dyno on my car. Just need to setup the V-dyno right for it to be accurate....

anticon

Need to do a V-dyno on my car. Just need to setup the V-dyno right for it to be accurate....
It is pretty cool, but yeah knowing all the parameters is what makes it more accurate. I had to run the pulls in 3rd gear so that screws things up a little already. I tracked the air temp at the time of each pull and looked up the air pressure from wunderground. I also measured my tire diameter and weighed my car. I think starting the pull from 2k rpm might be better too.

anticon

I refueled yesterday and ran some more pulls today with my 92 octane tune so I could compare vs the E30. Now I am very curious what an E40 tune would show. I started at a lower RPM but I think it would have gave similar max numbers anyway.

EDITED: Tire size wasn't right in the E30 chart and set smoothing to 2.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I ran 5 pulls late this morning. Here are the results. These were run in third gear starting around 2500. It seems like starting a little earlier in the revs would yield a higher torque number. I haven't measured the actual tire diameter/height I just got if off the Continental website.

(Redacting full SAE corrected VDyno results for space reasons)
Those are good numbers! If you properly do all your SAE correction, I would think that smoothing 2 would be fine. I posted my results in the wrong thread, but I think you saw it over there too, but yeah my numbers were about the same, that pesky stock turbo really limits any gains of bolt ons.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It is pretty cool, but yeah knowing all the parameters is what makes it more accurate. I had to run the pulls in 3rd gear so that screws things up a little already. I tracked the air temp at the time of each pull and looked up the air pressure from wunderground. I also measured my tire diameter and weighed my car. I think starting the pull from 2k rpm might be better too.
So even with the exact gear ratio known, 3rd gear is still off? I heard something about 4th being closer to 1:1 but why would it matter if exact gearing is known, hmmm. But responding to your post about that e40 tune with the 7 psi WGA spring, apparently that does help a bit, about one psi gain through the powerband... And did you get a custom tune? I just remember ordering 93 octane in flash form from both Stratified and Dizzy and don't have any issues with our fuel basically being 93 here.

anticon

So even with the exact gear ratio known, 3rd gear is still off? I heard something about 4th being closer to 1:1 but why would it matter if exact gearing is known, hmmm. But responding to your post about that e40 tune with the 7 psi WGA spring, apparently that does help a bit, about one psi gain through the powerband... And did you get a custom tune? I just remember ordering 93 octane in flash form from both Stratified and Dizzy and don't have any issues with our fuel basically being 93 here.
No custom tune, I think Jason just labeled it as 92 because that is what I put in the form. I'm sure it's really the regular 93 tune.

I'm not sure on the 3rd vs 4th, that's just based on one or two posts here and recommendations to get closest to 1:1 as you can.

anticon

Those are good numbers! If you properly do all your SAE correction, I would think that smoothing 2 would be fine. I posted my results in the wrong thread, but I think you saw it over there too, but yeah my numbers were about the same, that pesky stock turbo really limits any gains of bolt ons.
Yeah smoothing two looks pretty good on these runs, I just figured most people used three and it didn't make much of a difference. Oh and that pesky turbo. I think when I throw your stock air filter in I will see how much that bottleneck makes a difference, and I figure that is the worst bottleneck in the whole system.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No custom tune, I think Jason just labeled it as 92 because that is what I put in the form. I'm sure it's really the regular 93 tune.

I'm not sure on the 3rd vs 4th, that's just based on one or two posts here and recommendations to get closest to 1:1 as you can.
Yeah smoothing two looks pretty good on these runs, I just figured most people used three and it didn't make much of a difference. Oh and that pesky turbo. I think when I throw your stock air filter in I will see how much that bottleneck makes a difference, and I figure that is the worst bottleneck in the whole system.
Good deal, fair enough responses, just curious... i'll have to do some more runs myself, I was just using the regular default tire size and took 1/10" off for wear and I used some random online search to get the barometric pressure right after the runs when I got home... As far as SAE vs. smoothing, I think smoothing 5 is a "quick and dirty" way to get closer to actual SAE without inputting temp and pressure and all that, but since you did your SAE right, smoothing 2 would be pretty accurate, but come to think of it, you may be on to something as far as accuracy... I'll put my old ones in here comparing Dizzy vs. Stratified on a 93 tune and my e30 Dizzy results... I see you set your smoothing at 2, but as you can see I was hitting a full 300ft/lbs, even corrected, hmmm.

Blue is Dizzy, Red is Stratified 93 - Non-corrected but heavily smoothed... I'm at work and these are the pics I have for now, don't have the datalogs or vDyno at work to play with. Obviously SAE correction makes a HUGE difference still as this shows the same HP on 93 uncorrected as e30 fully corrected... Bottom-line is I need to do some more pulls after it dries up a bit.
52842284_10215967667998522_7930952361000828928_n.jpg

Dizzy e30 - dip in boost was from losing a bit of traction near peak power output, even with all 3 motor mounts upgraded and a traction bar, hehe.
e30_SAE_smoothng2.jpg

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
First logs on Dizzy 93. I couldn't run out 4th gear because I was running out of road, so I did 2 more 3rd gear pulls. I'm pretty happy with the numbers. I would like to be pushing a little more HP so I can hit redline on my logging road in 4th gear, but that will come with time. For some reason I can't see boost pressure or AFR.

All stock hardparts.

9.66 seconds 60-100mph.

1568341710749.png

danbfree

3000 Post Club
First logs on Dizzy 93. I couldn't run out 4th gear because I was running out of road, so I did 2 more 3rd gear pulls. I'm pretty happy with the numbers. I would like to be pushing a little more HP so I can hit redline on my logging road in 4th gear, but that will come with time. For some reason I can't see boost pressure or AFR.

All stock hardparts.

9.66 seconds 60-100mph.
Use these settings under Options for comparison and getting the lower chart info to pop up...Keep in mind those column names must be exact...
1568429679003.png

1568429753349.png

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Sure...but I prefer low average numbers.
But these are the ones everyone uses for discussion and comparison purposes and likely actually pretty accurate in general. If you think about it, do you really think you are really making only 150 at the wheels on a FWD that makes 197 at the crank and you are tuned? hehe... Anyway, definitely looks right for a stage 1 91 tune, looks good and healthy!

Edit: actually those still look low for a stage 1 Dizzy 93 tune, most of us are at 200/260...

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
But these are the ones everyone uses for discussion and comparison purposes and likely actually pretty accurate in general. If you think about it, do you really think you are really making only 150 at the wheels on a FWD that makes 197 at the crank and you are tuned? hehe... Anyway, definitely looks right for a stage 1 91 tune, looks good and healthy!

Edit: actually those still look low for a stage 1 Dizzy 93 tune, most of us are at 200/260...
It's a base tune. Literally the first map he gave me to start, they are usually very safe and conservative while they feel out the car.

I mean, it better be, I'd be pissed if he was going to call it done when I paid for a full e-tune for 93 and E30. I should have another 1 or 2 revisions coming to dial it in on 93, if he's anything like Freektune or Hypnotic. Then I move on to the E30 tune.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It's a base tune. Literally the first map he gave me to start, they are usually very safe and conservative while they feel out the car.

I mean, it better be, I'd be pissed if he was going to call it done when I paid for a full e-tune for 93 and E30. I should have another 1 or 2 revisions coming to dial it in on 93, if he's anything like Freektune or Hypnotic. Then I move on to the E30 tune.
Hmmm, you would think if you paid for a custom tune that he would start with the same one he sends out for the basic flash version... I need to send him a log for my fresh Stage 2 pump tune and see if he bumps anything up at all on mine. I need to go get out there and get a couple of pulls in before the rain starts... be back!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Dizzy Stage 2 93 runs I just did. Tire diameter, weight and weather/SAE corrected... not special looking at all, but strange I have such a flat HP powerband all the way to 6500, I wonder if it's my intake and inlet mods. I've noticed since I did those mods, my peak HP has been lower but carries better up higher than most stock turbo powerbands instead. I'm submitting these to Jason to see if he sends me anything more aggressive.

1568439486233.png

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
First 93 revision. Jason added timing, but the difference seems negligible. OAR's stayed negative through the pull.

1st logs 60-100 time was 9.66
2nd logs 60-100 was 9.37

Technically faster, but not by much, and nothing I'd notice day to day. Remember, I'm completely stock, down to the paper filter.

1568771339327.png

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
1569200857014.png

So after a revision adding timing, and this one adding a bit of boost in the mid range (I saw a max of 24.5psi), as you can see, not much of a difference besides a bit more torque. Red is today's log, Orange is the previous revision, and the Green is the flashtune. Jason isn't kidding when he says his flash tunes make about 95% of the stock turbo can make. Now, I'm not sure why the HP spikes towards the end, I actually end up going uphill towards the end of the road, but ignoring that, you can see the HP follows the same path as the previous 4th gear logs and following the points in time, I was making about 151whp towards redline.

60-100 times
1st log: 9.66
2nd log: 9.37
3rd log: 9.45

Today's logs were take about 7* hotter than my previous logs because they were during the day. It's still in the 90's here. It's hard to see the difference between the AFR's, but they've definitely smoothed out more and more with each revision now staying at about 12-11.9 throughout the run.

I think the 93 tune is done which is a relief because I will run E30 the majority of the time.