Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba Racing Fiesta ST Short Throw Shift Lever

Trader history for Boomba Racing (0)

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
My thoughts on the Shifter as I installed it yesterday morning and had a solid day hooning around town doing errands.

The Throws are significantly shorter. I already had the adapter plate installed before hand, but with the shifter they seemed to decrease by another 30-40%. Shifts into the even gears "towards the rear" seem more solid now. With the old shifter it seemed like shifter would fall into each gate, now with this upgraded one, I have to pull the shifter into the gate. The installation was not difficult at all. It took me about 60 minutes from start to finish, carefully reading the color printed instructions. The only step that took a while was removing the "U" shaped copper pin from the shaft that holds the shifter to the base. The shifter bends a bit more towards the rear of the vehicle which enables me to more comfortably rest my elbow while shifting gears. Overall the shifter in constructed very nicely and offers an amazing tangible experience.

My Gripe.

The PRICE. I think $230 is too much to justify this piece. If I had to do it all over again I would have saved myself the money and just kept my setup as is with the boomba adapter plate on the transmission. I don't think that the extra reduction in throw is worth the extra $230 + another $16 for shipping and handling. For $230 I would expect a whole shifter box with base included like the kits that buddy club sells. They sell theirs for half the cost of the Boomba price.

The Boomba piece is nice and is beautifully machined which may warrant the price, but I feel is a bit too steep.

Overall I am happy with the performance of the piece, although I do have the some bit of buyers remorse because of the price. I paid $270 for this and the base bushings shipped.
Thanks for the feedback.

While we can understand your concern with price, there is a reason why no one else makes a short shifter for this car. A lot of engineering went into this piece (about twice as much as our Focus short throw) and there is a lot on the design side that made production challenging. If you haven't noticed yet, there are no other short shift lever options for this car simply because of the fact that the piece is very difficult to engineer. I'm not sure what you were referring to about Buddy Club, but they do not make a shifter for the Fiesta so comparing their Civic short throw to our Fiesta one is really comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks for the feedback.

While we can understand your concern with price, there is a reason why no one else makes a short shifter for this car. A lot of engineering went into this piece (about twice as much as our Focus short throw) and there is a lot on the design side that made production challenging. If you haven't noticed yet, there are no other short shift lever options for this car simply because of the fact that the piece is very difficult to engineer. I'm not sure what you were referring to about Buddy Club, but they do not make a shifter for the Fiesta so comparing their Civic short throw to our Fiesta one is really comparing apples to oranges.
I was merely comparing the type of shifter that buddyclub sells. Their shifters come already assembled into a plastic shift base with levers which makes the product a simple bolt on upgrade. Their RSX style shifter is almost identical to ours, it is a cable style shift linkage, housed in a plastic base with movable arms, and is throw adjustable. There is no disassembly required of the OEM base to install the new shifter. I was just wondering since they could sell that style of product for half the cost given the extra material, why does the Boomba cost more?

My post was by no means meant to degrade your product, all your products are awesome. I'm glad you guys are developing new parts for our cars. I was just stating my opinion on the price.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Well after Spending twice that much on Mustang shifters with mixed results I am Happy with the Boomba effort and results plus my point of posting is not to say your point is wrong as it is a valid point for you I do however think it was worth it not just for the reduced throw and adjustment available on it (though it takes some time to get to the adjustments thank ford, they are not hard to do) I really like the change in the angle of the shifter and think it makes shifting into 1-3-5 gear so much more intuative like the old days of the hurst shifter and a Tee handle... I can palm it into those gears... I like you and Thankful for Boomba for taking the time and effort to design and product a quality product for our niche cars..

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
Now with installation video! See everybody, it isn't THAT hard.

[video=youtube;ViYqV1iD8oc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViYqV1iD8oc[/video]

I finally installed the Boomba Short Shifter and shifter base bushings. The install went smoothly thanks to Rodmoe's write up and Boomba's video so thank you both. Now on to the shifter this is the best upgrade I have done so far I will say in my day to day driving the shifter improves the experience as much or more than the AccessPort. The factory limp noodle feeling in the shifter drove me nuts now that the install is done everything is very tight and all the play has gone away. For anyone considering doing this upgrade I would highly recommend it. A friend and I had it installed within an hour I wouldn't even consider myself very mechanically inclined and it all went smoothly.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #51
I finally installed the Boomba Short Shifter and shifter base bushings. The install went smoothly thanks to Rodmoe's write up and Boomba's video so thank you both. Now on to the shifter this is the best upgrade I have done so far I will say in my day to day driving the shifter improves the experience as much or more than the AccessPort. The factory limp noodle feeling in the shifter drove me nuts now that the install is done everything is very tight and all the play has gone away. For anyone considering doing this upgrade I would highly recommend it. A friend and I had it installed within an hour I wouldn't even consider myself very mechanically inclined and it all went smoothly.
We're excited to hear you are happy with the product!

Its always a good thing to hear feedback from our customers once they get a product installed.

This shifter really does make a night and day difference!