Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2J Racing Rear Motor Mount (RMM) Install Super Short DIY!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Hey guys, I got some downtime today again from work so I decided to tackle the 2J RMM insert install.

I am going to break it down nice and short, as always, this DIY is just for instructional purposes only, please use at your own risk, if you don't feel confident, do take to a shop!

I have also attached some pictures of the install sequence. From start to finish, it took me 1 hour with a second set of hands.

Basic required tools: Lift (preferable)/Jack stands/Ramp, Basic Mechanic Tool Set, Breaker Bar, Rubber Mallet, Hammer, Wood Blocks, hand-saw, shop-press (preferable)

1. Get car on lift/stands, I used a lift because it was available to me, lifts are nice, so much easier on your back!!

2. Remove the stock RMM assembly, very straight forward, just un-do the 4 bolts and wiggle it out, 2 really long bolts and 2 smaller one on the black thingy

3. After you remove the stock RMM, on the larger oval end, there is 2 ways of removing the stock insert.

A) Cut the rubber inner part, pop it out, then carefully hammer out the insert (Hard)

B) Take the whole assembly, press it out with bearing press set on a shop press (Super Easy and Recommended), I used the shop press way to minimize any damage from striking the RMM with my ham fists.

4. Take the 2J RMM insert, MAKE SURE TO ALLIGN the forward arrow facing forward (towards the engine), carefully hammer into the RMM assembly with a rubber mallet, make sure the 2J insert is centered!

5. Re-install RMM assembly now with the 2J RMM insert back to its original position, a bit of anti-seize never hurts, carefully screw the bolts back in, make sure its aligned correctly.

6. Hand torque all the bolts snug tight, I just did it as tight as I can with a 3/8 wrench, you can torque it down, but be careful not to over torque.

7. Lower car down, fire it up, enjoy the "buzz"

10 miles drive review: Holy COW! wow, on a slop scale of 1-10, the stock RMM insert is a 2 or 3, with the 2J insert, the slop is like 9 or 10, NO SLOP! At ldle you feel a buzz, there is more buzz and NVH, but this is expected from a solid delrin insert!

No wheel hop, the whole drive assembly feels so......stiff [giggle] yep it makes me want to drive like even more of an idiot! [raceflag]

Thanks for reading guys, if you have any specific questions, just ask me!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Excellent writeup buddy. These are the results I was hoping to see. Can't wait to order mine too.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I have yet to tear mine out. But is the front of the mount hard or soft rubber like the back OEM is ?? And you do NOTHING with the front bracket AKA black thingy where as some you need to remove and reuse it on the new mount or front bushing ??

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I have yet to tear mine out. But is the front of the mount hard or soft rubber like the back OEM is ?? And you do NOTHING with the front bracket AKA black thingy where as some you need to remove and reuse it on the new mount or front bushing ??
The front is like rock solid hard, no movement compared to the rear. I did not touch the front at all and I did not take off the black thingy.

Excellent write up!

One quick note - Ford pressed the RMM in on one side of the mount (you'll see the score marks on the mount). It is HIGHLY advised to press it out on that same side. It moves easier that way. Those that dont have a press can cut it and fold it in. But the press is an easier method for sure.

Thanks!

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Excellent write up!

One quick note - Ford pressed the RMM in on one side of the mount (you'll see the score marks on the mount). It is HIGHLY advised to press it out on that same side. It moves easier that way. Those that dont have a press can cut it and fold it in. But the press is an easier method for sure.

Thanks!
Haha, yes I learned that the hard way going against the "grain"!

I woke-up, took the long way to work this morning, first true WOT, no need for coffee.......this is how I felt like below [raceflag][twothumb]

I can't wait for your tune's Joe!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Ok just wanted to add that I DID NOT press mine out I cut the rubber around the steel center and removed it then I cut the steel outer bushing so I could squeeze the outer metal bushing part in on itself in the vice I was using to hold the RMM and then it tapped right out.. slid the 2J-Racing insert in and mounted back on car I did have to rock the trans a smidge to get the holes to line up.. TOTAL time was about 1 hr and a lil rubber melting smell in the workshop .. Will report back once I test drive in .. VERY easy Install Thanks Joe..