Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Short Shifter and Shifter base bushings Reivew

Trader history for rodmoe (0)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I already have the mountune short shifter and the Boomba shifter plate bushings.
Do you think adding the Boomba shifter handle and base bushings would be a good combination?

Dave

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
I already have the mountune short shifter and the Boomba shifter plate bushings.
Do you think adding the Boomba shifter handle and base bushings would be a good combination?

Dave
Yes this is what I had also :)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thanks.
Order has been placed.

Dave

Thanks for the video. Looks like max reduction won't be as dramatic as I thought can't wait to get it next week

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Just installed my shifter bracket bushings a few min ago. Wow. Def a difference I can feel. Makes me excited about getting the rest of the parts someday.

Anything that cheap that improves the way a shift feels EVERYTIME, is worth the money to me.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If Boomba gets my order out, this is on my weekend list.

Dave

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
i dunno about that angle. that looks funky as heck.......
The stock shifter is also angled, ours is just angled a little more, 30 degrees to be exact. In pictures it may look extreme, but if you get the chance to feel one, it feels really natural.

Chris G

For those that are searching and finding this post, I figured I would throw in my 2 cents regarding the base bushings. Over the weekend I finally pulled apart my center console area to install the Redline shift boot and shifter base bushings. I'll echo Rodmoe and say that the hardest part was dealing with all of the plastic. I, like him, lost a few of the white clips. By the time it was all said and done I think 2 of them disappeared into the abyss. I kind of chalked it up as an OH WELL. [clap]

When installing the base bushings I would recommend being pretty careful with how tight you tighten them down. One of them ended up getting pretty tight like a normal bolt or screw would but the other one I ended up 'stripping out' and it never got super tight no matter what I did. When I removed it to take a look at what happened I noticed there was some plastic that came out with the screw. I ended up gunking up the screw with some black RTV and tightening it back down as much as I could. I am hoping that it will hold it over time but we'll see. Regardless, the shifter base appeared to be very snug even with only one screw tightened down to the max and the other areas 'clipped in' as they are from the factory. [dunno]

The initial drive was great - my other mods that matter here at the bracket bushings and the shift plate adapter. The difference is small with the base bushings installed but I did notice things were a little more notchy and firm. For $20 and given the fact I was already in there for the shift boot, I'll take it. Hopefully those of you that do this down the road can learn from my mistakes.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
yes the straight DHM extension works great

J2FoRS

Hey rodmoe,
Are you still running this and at 40% still? Also do you have a pic running it with the DHM straight?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
[MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] your assistance is needed :)
I have dropped it down to the next lower setting and went back to stock shift knob. I have taken the shifter apart and drilled the shifter base and nylon ball with several very small holes and threaded safter wire through to hold the shifter ball in place as the zip ties get weak after time and I want no missed shifts on track do to ball poppage .. More in my build thread .

Attachments

J2FoRS

:/ that's not very reassuring! Smart idea rodmoe however.

Is this common for people to have had the shifter pop out? I do alot of highway driving and commuting so won't want to have to worry about being stranded. :/

MOFiST

Well I popped my the cover for shifter and was trying to add zip ties but cannot find an appropriate spot to get down force on the ball clamp. Since I've never experienced the issue I aborted the whole idea. [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] your idea is interesting but that looks like an assembly removal job yes? :( I think I'll play the wait and see approach but it's kind of alarming on how many people have had the issue.